Chapter 21

I Can't Seem to Remember to Forget You

The greeting room for the funeral was somber. At the back of the room was a large folding screen, and in front of the screen were hundreds of flowers meticulously arranged upon a coffin. In the center of the flowers was a photo of Gu Joon Pyo flanked by candles and incense.

Madam Kang, dressed in a black hanbok, sat crumpled against the wall. Her husband tried to console her to no avail. Jan Di sat against the wall in disbelief.

A long line of visitors paying their condolences began shuffling in. Gu Joon Hee received each one with a bow. Each visitor then paid their respects to the memorial set up for Joon Pyo.

Eventually, Jan Di's family arrived. "Aigoo…" Na Gong Ju began, "…he was so young. How could this happen? My poor daughter, losing her love." Geum Il Bong wiped away a tear, "Son-in-law, thank you for taking care of us all this time." Geum Kang San stepped forward, "Hyung, you left before you could see me graduate. I will live my life by following your footsteps." The family members bowed deeply in front of the memorial. Then they made their way to Joon Pyo's parents.

"Thank you for looking after our family and my daughter all this time." Geum Il Bong said graciously.

"Na Gong Ju, Geum Il Bong, this is not the end for us." Madam Kang lifted her head and tried to smile blearily. "Joon Pyo loved you all. We will look after your family as he would have wanted us to."

The Geum family dropped to their knees in a formal bow and paid their respect to their benefactors. "We don't know what to say." Geum Il Bong said.

Yi Jung, Woo Bin and Ji Hoo arrived next. Ga Eul and Mika were close behind. For the first time in her life, Jan Di saw her knights crying. Bearing witness to the scene only served to make her feel worse. She put her head down and continued to quietly cry.

"Yah, Gu Joon Pyo," Yi Jung started with a trembling voice, "What is this? We were a team. You were our brother. How could you just leave us this way?"

Ji Hoo was silent. Endless tears fell from his eyes and he knelt before the memorial. He couldn't bring himself to speak. Joon Pyo, how could you do this? What will we do without you now? You were my closest friend and yet my biggest rival. I loved you like a brother. I hated you like a brother. But you were always important to me. I would have done anything for you. If I could trade places with you so that you could live the rest of your life with Jan Di, I would gladly give up my soul. But here I am, and there you are. You've left us with a mess. I will miss you so much.

Woo Bin put his hand on Ji Hoo's shoulder in reassurance. "I am at a loss for words, bro. We grew up together. I thought we'd grow old together. A bunch of old flower grandpas stirring up trouble in our later years." Woo Bin stopped and sighed to suppress his tears. Then he reached into his jacket and pulled out a familiar red card with "F4" printed on it in gold. Yi Jung and Ji Hoo stood up and stepped forward beside Woo Bin.

"If you ever need us…" Yi Jung started.

"All you need to do is…." Ji Hoo continued.

Woo Bin placed the card on the flowers. "…Give 'em the red card and we'll come fight with you, no matter where you are. The F4 will give 'em hell."

The day was long and tiring and as the last visitor left, Jan Di approached the place where Joon Pyo lay. "Pabo. How could you leave me? We were going to get married! We were going to live the rest of our lives together! We were going to have children! We were going to fight and make up and fight and make up again! We were going to grow old! And now you abandon me? We spend one perfect day together, we confess our love in front of God, and then you disappear from my life forever?" She held herself tightly in an attempt to stop shaking with sorrow, "I love you Gu Joon Pyo. I always have and I always will."

She touched the star necklace around her neck. "You will always be with me." She placed an old bracelet on the flowers next to the red card. "This is the first gift you ever gave me. This silly old anklet you bought for me in New Caladonia ages ago. I leave this with you. Don't lose it like I did, once."

She collapsed to the floor in front of his casket and cried uncontrollably. Her sobs shook her for hours. Finally she fell asleep on the floor, by his side. Ji Hoo entered the room and saw her laying there. He took off his jacket and placed it over her before sitting against the wall to keep a silent vigil over her for the night.