Courtyard Dramatics

Autumn Leaves

Jong Dae was not ready to move the Prince’s household. Granted, his official position was advisor, but he had always acted in a greater capacity. If Prince Minseok traveled, he saw to the arrangements. If he moved residences (which happened periodically throughout the year, royals did not like to stay put) he made sure the details were in order.

He received word early in the morning to prepare for the Princes movement to Changdeokgung Palace. He had the day to ready for it, and then they would be on the move. On top of the move the official engagement party had been set for four days’ time. Jong Dae was in a panic with the organizational overload.

He was walking through one of the palace’s numerous courtyards at a brisk pace. He was mumbling to himself, reciting the few things he wanted to burn into his brain, when he practically slammed into Prince Luhan.

The Chinese Prince was out for a stroll with his own secretary and advisor.

“Woah” Luhan held up his hands to steady Jong Dae.

Jong Dae bowed.

“Sorry, sorry.” Jong Dae apologized.

“No need to apologize” Luhan’s expression was pleasant and calm. It made Jong Dae question how someone so innocent looking could be so scandalous. “You could probably help me. This was my own good fortune!”

Jong Dae did not miss it, Chanyeol, who was standing slightly behind the Prince, had most definitely rolled his eyes.

“Yes, Your highness?” Jong Dae was all ears.

“Where does Prince Minseok take his breakfast?”

“Ah, yes, um. He is with the Queen and Princess Nauen right now, in the Queen’s Tea House” Jong Dae answered. Luhan smiled and took his leave.

As Jong Dae went back towards his task he found a foreboding feeling creeping up in his thoughts. He would be glad when this whole wedding business was over.

 

***

Nauen had recovered from her little adventure rather well. It helped that Eun Ji had made her look amazing, and then scolded her for her puffy eyes. Nauen thanked her stars that Eun Ji had no notion of what had transpired the night before- thankfully she had been sound asleep when Nauen had snuck out and back in.

“The official engagement party will occur in four days’ time.” The Queen had spoken the words a few minutes prior, and of course Nauen had already been informed of it earlier that morning. Still, she dwelled on it. The official engagement party. Nauen snuck a sideways glance at Prince Minseok. He was smiling. Was he happy about this marriage? She had never actually been alone with him, or had the opportunity to ask him. She was certain it was arranged on his side as well, but what did he think about it? Her thoughts must have bled over to her facial expression, because the Queen slyly added:

“Do not be sad Nauen. Prince Minseok will only be at Changdeokgung Palace until the wedding. And he will visit here regularly in that time. And then of course you have the rest of your lives together.”

“Ah, yes, your highness” Nauen said shyly. In fact, the news that Minseok would relocate to Changdeokgung Palace did not bother her. If anything, it made her feel relieved. Perhaps he would take his little brother with him, and Nauen could focus on her studies. She had been informed that Prince Luhan would go as well, but Nauen had found him absent from her side in the past few days to the point that there would be nothing to miss.

The door to the tea room opened suddenly. A servant walked in and was barely able to announce a visitor before the said visitor was standing in the room.

“The Prince Luhan”

Minseok tensed. Why was Luhan barging in on a breakfast with the Queen and her future daughter in law?

“Good morning, your highness.” Luhan bowed, charming as ever.

Minseok noticed that any touch of emotion had left Luhan’s demeanor, any hint of the things they had discussed last night was invisible in the morning light.

The Queen looked surprised at the intrusion but hid it quickly. She smiled at the Chinese Prince.

“Good morning, Prince Luhan. It has been far too long.” She smiled that dazzling smile. “Please, sit”

Luhan took her up on the offer and plunked down next to Minseok.

Nauen was all smiles at her cousin’s arrival. She had seen too little of him lately.

“I am sorry to interrupt, but I am afraid Prince Minseok and I have an appointment.”

This was news to Minseok. He felt a kick to his leg under the table. He scowled at Luhan, who just ignored him.

“An appointment? Of course, then. I would love to spend some time alone with the Princess Nauen.” The Queen was unusually accommodating. Minseok suddenly wanted to kick his Mother as well.

Nauen frowned slightly. Why did she feel like she was the only one Luhan didn’t want to see?

“Shall we?” The glint in Luhan’s eyes as he spoke the words unnerved Minseok. What was this now?

***

It was a completely different feeling, now that they were adults. The of a cheek, the smile, seemed to mean something other than friendly affection.

Minseok wanted to punch Luhan at his reason for their “appointment”, that was until he heard Luhan’s logic out. If they really could not remember, then they needed to try. And what better way to try than to head back to the thing they last remember, that place that used once existed outside the palace walls. Now it was part of the palace grounds, having been absorbed into the greater compound. Which was a good thing too, Minseok thought, as he was well past the age for sneaking out.

It was simple enough to tell the servants to give them a few minutes alone. It was simple enough to face each other and think back to what they had actually remembered. It was not simple to look into each other’s eyes, to try to feel what they felt. Because it was a different feeling now.

“And then they found us, right?” Minseok’s lips felt dry. Luhan’s hand was on his cheek, his thumb caressing his cheek.

Luhan didn’t really want to speak.

“Close your eyes” His voice was unintentionally husky.

“Why?”

“Just do it” Luhan did not remove his hand. Minseok’s face felt hot under his touch.

“Think back. What do you last remember? The exact thing you remember?” Luhan had closed his eyes after he made sure Minseok had shut his own.

It was easy for Minseok, because he dreamt it vividly, frequently.

“I saw your face. When they found us.”

Luhan moved his hand from Minseok’s cheek, moving it lower to rest on the other man’s shoulder.

“What do you remember?” Minseok said it after his companion remained quiet.

Luhan shut his eyes more tightly, remaining silent. Why did he think such a simple thing would work?

Finally he moved his hand from Minseok’s shoulder in an act of frustration, causing the Korean Prince to open his eyes.

“Hell- maybe none of it happened!” Luhan threw his hands up in frustration.

Minseok was not sure what to say. Because all of it confused the hell out of him as well. He wasn’t sure there was a solution, even if he wanted one.

“Lu, maybe we need to stop trying to figure it out. For now any way.”

“I f-ing want to know!”

“Why?”

Luhan couldn’t admit that his burning desire for the truth was tied to the reason he found drinking so therapeutic; why being numb was often better than being aware. He needed to know if he had ever loved Minseok. Could he just ask – did I love you? Did you love me? Why was such a question impossible? How did he even know that Minseok remembered it the same way?

“Just prepare for your wedding.” Luhan was done with the entire situation, because he was sure as hell not going to explain what he was thinking. He stalked off, calling over his shoulder “See you later -  I hear we are going to share a palace.”

Minseok stood there for a solid minute after Luhan left, not moving. Luhan most definitely had an effect on him. And he definitely had an effect on Luhan. However, anger seemed to be the emotion born of his presence, not the deeply confusing pain that Luhan gave him. He found that he was rubbing his wrist again, tracing the old scar unconsciously.  

***

“If you want to give it back to him, you are going to have to do it in person.” Sehun crossed his arms, cocking a hip in a posture that shouted – go ahead, try me.

Nauen’s eyes grew large at the suggestion.

“Yah- I can’t! You know that.”

“Nope- you can, you just won’t” Sehun feigned a yawn. He was having too much fun with his soon to be sister in law. She was way too easy to anger, and prone to a funny kind of dramatics (that, unfortunately, Sehun thought, could become annoying quickly). But damn was she entertaining to play with.

“Please, tell him thank you.” Nauen shoved the red scarf into Sehun’s hands.

“You tell him thank you” Sehun dropped the scarf and waved his hand back as he walked away.

Nauen stomped her foot. How could someone as nice and charming as Minseok have a brother like Sehun? Hmph!

***

Donhwamun Gate, with its two story pagoda, bore welcome to the recently arrived royals. Threw the gate passed four Princes – three of them Korean and one Chinese. Behind them, snaking out like a somber and slow moving tail was the court officials, advisors, servants, and general royal minions. It was an impressive sight, the court entering their new palace. Hundreds of years had born witness to such events, such slow processions that screamed out the difference between the country’s royal family and the country itself. Antiquated, traditional, but still fun to look at.

The fun-to-look-at element of the traveling procession focused on the men in the front of the throng. The four royal princes were clad in designer suits, a handsome clash to the traditional garb of the palace attendants. They were schooled in such an entrance, moving towards the main hall without a need for direction. There was a limited number of the public allowed in to see the entrance of the royals into the central palace courtyard. They were being neatly controlled by a mixed Chinese and Korean security team led by the Chinese Team Leader Zitao.

At the end of their long walk they were met by royal advisor Soo Man. He had arrived earlier that day and waited to greet the Princes. It was pomp and circumstance and it spoke to just how powerful the top royal advisor was.

Formal greetings were exchanged.

Sehun smiled lazily on his walk to meet his father’s right arm. He put on a serous expression as they bowed in greeting, it was expected of him after all. As Soo Man began his introductory speech Sehun zoned out.

“Who are they?” As the crowd clapped and Soo Man paused to bask in the glory of the audience, Joon Myun nudged Sehun slightly. He asked the question nodding his head towards a group standing to the side.

Joon Myun grew curious because he had never seen that team of royal employees before. They were dressed far too well to be simple or regular servants, and they had been waiting far too close to Soo Man to be insignificant. Joon Myun, being the good Prince that he was, had a knack for remembering the higher level staff that worked for his family. These were new faces.

Sehun looked up.

“The fuc-“

***

Kyungsoo had an allergy to wool. He knew hives were coming, and his sneezing was sure to burst forth within the hour. Why in the name of everything decent did they have to decide this was a good job? He shot a look of disgust towards Heechul.

The boss was smiling, clasping his hands as he looked towards the gate. F him, Kyungsoo thought.

“Yah, when will they get here?” Jongin whispered to Taemin. He was feeling pretty constricted in his tie, he made a motion to loosen it. If he could have taken off his stuffy shirt he would have done that too. Taemin gave him that look, so he stopped fidgeting with his clothes.

Baekhyun seemed to be in his element, Jongin thought, as he glanced over to see the man smiling cutely and giving out small discreet waves at anyone in the audience that even possibly looked in his general direction.

It had been sudden, when Heechul told them their next gig would take a bit of acting. Oh, and jobs. They were getting jobs. Hence the acting. The wails of protest probably echoed through four different neighborhoods at that piece of news.

“But it will be our last job, kids” Heechul had promised them. The last time they had to do anything for money- legal or illegal.

“It better be something good- real good.” Baekhyun muttered, summing up the feelings of the gang. Heechul had smiled at the words. It was, trust him. And then they were here, dressed in the suits of pricks that worked in offices.

Kyungsoo was pretty sure he wanted to set Heechul on fire when he slept. Kyungsoo was pretty sure his allergies would kill him and he wanted to kill Heechul before that happened. He changed his mind when he saw Sehun shout “The fuc-“ in the middle of a courtyard packed with people that would give you a dirty look if you cracked a smile.  

Now that was worth it.  Why was that little royal bastard so entertaining? Kyungsoo stifled his laughter.