September 21st

Autumn Leaves

The 21st of September dawned. The morning sped by, the afternoon arrived with long shadows. Minseok followed his schedule, and thought of very little else. If he had allowed himself to consider the situation he would have had to deal with it. Deal with this fate of a marriage he did not ask for, deal with this fate that had permeated his entire existence.

No, Minseok would not think about it. He would not think about the fact his future wife was Luhan’s cousin. He would not think about the fact he had received no word if Luhan was the person accompanying Nauen. He would bury himself in study, in meetings. He would forget that his life was not his own. He would forget what the autumn felt like. 

***

The Incheon Airport was buzzing. It seemed like everyone and their brother had come out to see the future Queen of Korea. Princess Naeun, well-schooled in propriety, smiled and waved as the royal bodyguard Zitao led the team to keep her safe. Next to her was her no good cousin (well, at least according to almost everyone you could possibly ask), Luhan. He was wearing shades, he did not bother to wave or greet anyone. Cold, so cold.

Luckily the young princess had her attendant, Eun Ji, with her. Naeun had often thanked the powers that be that she was gifted with such a loving, kind, and energetic girl as Eun Ji. When Nauen was sad Eun Ji taught her Korean swear words to yell at the source of her emotions, when she was happy Eun Ji jumped with joy. And when she was angry, well, Eun Ji was just really good at being angry too. She yelled in a way a Princess of China could never yell. Eun Ji was Korean, fitting for a Chinese Princess with a Korean Father, and gave Naueun a kind of reassurance as she began a life in Eun Ji’s native land. Nauen grabbed her attendant’s hand and squeezed as she walked towards her fate, happy to have a friend with her.

Ready to greet the party from China was Prince Joon Myun. Surrounded by his own security team, the Prince smiled and waved to the people gathered.  It seemed everyone was ready to see the future Queen. After some time the crowd began to surge in, and the Prince realized she must be coming. He straightened his tie and grasped his hands, waiting. He had been well prepared for the greeting. She knew how to speak Korean, he was assured of that. In fact, the traveling party should all know a bit of it, according to Soo Man. A goodwill gesture.

When he first saw her his breath was caught in his throat, his world seemed to stop. Her hair was loose. She was smiling, and then she was shouting something exuberantly. She was beautiful. God, she was beautiful.

Joon Myun bowed deeply, ignoring the actual timing for an appropriate greeting. When he lifted his head he found the object of his sudden affection had stepped back and another girl was bowing deeply to him instead. So that image of beauty was she not the princess? His confusion was apparent because the young woman in front of him made a point to introduce herself to him (in perfect Korean) as Princess Nauen. So who was the delectable creature behind her, Joon Myun thought.

Trying to cover up his mixture of confusion and surprise he turned towards the only other person who stepped forward with the Princess. He was a man that Joon Myun instantly recognized, a man that he did not expect to see. It was Luhan. Did Minseok know? Joon Myuun knew that another Chinese royal would accompany Nauen, but the last he knew the exact person was not confirmed. They exchanged greetings, rather coldly on Luhan’s part, before heading towards the vehicles.

As the crowd rushed forward, the security team went into overdrive. Chief Security Officer Zitao managed the crowd well, directing the princess and prince towards a waiting Mercedes. There was no hitch in getting the party into their vehicles (well, no hitch besides the expected frenzy). Once everyone was safe Zitao audibly sighed, his job at the airport was done. Unfortunately for him, protecting the Princess, was only just beginning.

***

As the black Mercedes sped towards the royal palace Princess Naeun gripped Luhan’s arm. She was nervous (and extremely grateful she was riding in a different car then her handsome future brother in law). Her palms were sweaty and felt dry. Is this what it feels like to be a bargaining chip, she wondered? How she wished Eun Ji had not had to take a different car than her.

Luhan stared out the window, wondering if he betrayed any of his own anxieties on the trip. He could not sleep since the order came down – accompany her. His first reaction was spite, anger. Until he realized what it all meant. Was it torture inflicted by his parents? Or was it an opportunity? He dreaded it, he hated thinking about seeing Minseok. He hated thinking about seeing his cousin smiling and waving as she went to her future as Minseok’s wife. But he could see Minseok now, couldn’t he? Finally, he could see him. Finally he could ask those questions that had hung over his life for the last 9 years. Unconsciously he squeezed his cousin’s hand reassuringly, wishing someone would do the same for him.

***

Minseok hated the dressing ceremony. He appreciated the cultural significance of the robes he donned when he entered the formal hall, but he still felt uncomfortable with attendants pulling his clothes off and putting new ones on him. He often wondered if they saw him as a doll, a really expensive doll.

After his robes were satisfactorily arranged he began his walk towards Gyeonghoeru hall, his walk towards his future. He felt the shield of indifference build up, projecting outwards. He would do what is expected of him. He carried this front to the hall, to the place where he sat beside his parents, to the place where he was to meet his fate.

Gyeonghoeru had held all important nonpublic royal family banquets for over 150 years. Perched high atop 48 stone pillars aside a pond, it was reached via three bridges. It was a peacefully situated structure that more often than not housed an undercurrent of a power struggle waiting to break free. It was never lighthearted, or free, or anything but protocol when Gyeonghoeru was used.

The King and Queen were not yet present when Minseok arrived (as was the procedure) however his brothers were. Minseok entered the hall with all of the pomp and circumstance befitting his position as future the future King. He noticed Joon Myun’s usually staid expression was more forced than usual. He would have to ask him about it later.

Upon being seated Minseok stared ahead towards the entrance. Before long his parents would arrive, and after that his bride. And whoever was coming with his bride. Because he still did not know. He swallowed, staring ahead.

***

The announcement came only a few minutes after the King and Queen took their seats. The party from China was entering.

The attendants entered first. They bowed deeply, moving towards the side to allow ample space for their own royalty to enter the room. Minseok strained his eyes as the lower lighting of the hall seemed to play tricks on him. A man and woman were entering, trailing behind them were several of the more important royal courtiers.

Minseok stood in respect. His younger brothers were there as well, standing slightly behind him given their respective places in the family. He felt assured having his siblings there. Minseok clasped his hands, eager to get the meeting over with. He watched as the lowlight hall revealed two people walking towards him. Suddenly he found himself squinting, unconsciously attracted to seeing who the man beside his future wife was. There was something about his walk, something about his demeanor.

It was then that the man and woman moved close enough for Minseok to make out their features. It was then that MInseok felt something he had never felt before, a feeling like his entire world was about to collapse, a feeling he could not control. It was then that his body felt weak. He reached for the arm of his chair to steady himself.

“The Prince Luhan of China and the Royal Princess Naeun” The courtier announced.

Minseok was sure he was frozen, completely frozen. It did not help that Luhan, his friend, did not even make eye contact. He just bowed deeply. Minseok bowed in turn, but if you had asked him later he couldn’t remember doing it if he tried. But the world was swimming. Luhan was here. Autumn had returned. His life would never be the same.

***

He made a point to not look him in the eyes. He made a point to look down, to look down and not show how much his heart was racing. When it was all said and done – bows and introductions – he returned to his assigned chambers, leaving his cousin to her fate AKA a dinner with the future in laws. He had no desire to stick around and have a meal with the Korean Royal Family, and he was able to get out of it with a very honed knowledge of etiquette and circumstance and the reality that, most likely, the King of Korea did not want him there any way.

Once he was back in his chambers he cried. Tears of frustration, tears of memories. Tears of what he could never have. Why was this so hard for him?

“You should be happy that His Highness was able to cover up most of your scandals or you would never even be here”

Of course Chanyeol would take this opportunity to invade his personal space. Of course this was a lecture opportunity that his secretary would not pass up.

Luhan wiped his tears and looked at his friend.

“Is this such a good thing? Us coming here…” Luhan meant to deliver the words with a strong voice, but it came out as a low whisper, almost like a strange sob.

“I am not sure” Chanyeol answered in all seriousness “I really don’t know”

Luhan audibly sighed. The sound was frustrated, it was a kind of desperation that made Chanyeol's sunny personality feel rain.

“What happened here?” Chanyeol had come to his senses and stopped his lecturing. He was more than a little concerned for his friend after seeing the very real tears that very rarely ran down Luhan’s cheeks. He doubted he would get an answer, but he wanted to understand why Minseok, why this place, brought his friend so much sadness.

“A lot” Luhan whispered, starring at the wall, feeling like his soul had been ripped out.

***

The banquet progressed as it had been planned. Exactly how it had been planned.

Minseok sat next to his betrothed. He had immediately noticed she was nervous - very nervous. He had noticed and felt a kindred spirit. After all, his nerves – hell his entire being – had been jolted by the sight of one person. Focus, focus, was what he needed right now.

The ceremony for dinner was not informal by any means. It was a pattern. A pattern that one had to get used to. Minseok tried to ignore the reality of the last hour by helping Princess Nauen through the ordeal. He directed her when she looked confused at exactly how to show her respect through her actions. He directed her gently while she smiled shyly.

The King and Queen retained their glassy and superficial fronts throughout the meal, imposing their majesty (or as Sehun referred to it their “Fraudjesty”) at all times. The table, a long ornately carved antique (or “relic” as Sehun affectionately called it) housed several nobles in addition to the royal family (and royal family to be). Everyone indulged in a glimpse of Minseok and Nauen as the situation allowed, while trying to be as discreet as possible. After all, gawking at the Royal Family was not exactly a trait to possess if you belonged to the nobility.

“Your parents should be proud of your manners” The Queen addressed Nauen with a smile. Some heads turned and nodded in appreciation for the comment. Minseok remained silent.

Nauen only bowed respectfully.

“You are very beautiful” The Queen remarked.

Nauen smiled and looked down.

“Prince Minseok is an old friend of your cousin, Prince Luhan. They practically lived together for two years.” The Queen stated as she gracefully drank from her cup, ignoring the obvious weight of her words.

Nauen’s eyes grew wide. She looked down to hide her surprise. Could this be the one he had been torn away from? Her mind raced as she thought back to everything her cousin had told her, the snippets of truth that came from his drunken mouth every now and then. She bit her lip and then smiled shyly. Best to not think of such things now.

Minseok took the opportunity to use his greatest weapon, his ironclad expression of emotional immunity, expertly masked as an appearance of benevolence and proper behavior.

“I think that is a bit of an understatement, My Queen” Minseok answered, a bashful grin on his face. Why was lying so easy? And why when he did so did the nobles nod and smile. Why was he expected to lie and why was that something for people to be happy about?

“I jest, my Son” His Mother responded, every bit the composed royal consort.

A minute or two passed without a word. Soo Man, with his position as the top royal advisor, entered the conversation.

“It is a shame your cousin is not here”

Nauen smiled. When lost, smile. It was what she knew.

“He is not feeling well after the journey. I beg you forgive him”

Soo Man smiled. He went back to conversing with the King but he knew his words stung. Because he wanted them to – and Minseok’s frown that flashed for a half a second told him he had pushed the right button.