Palace Lessons

Autumn Leaves

The morning of September 22nd was cold. Unusually cold. Eun Ji had made sure that Nauen was well dressed before sending her on her way- Nauen was thankful for the extra care because she was still freezing despite the added layers.

After a light breakfast alone (Luhan was still sleeping, to be expected) Nauen had been instructed that her education in Korean palace life would begin. She had made her way to the small building where she would be taught and there she waited patiently for her teacher.

She had a habit of wringing her hands when she was nervous. She was nervous – again, so her hands were busy. Her Mother used to scold her for this habit, telling her she would ruin her skin if she so recklessly rubbed her small hands together. Nauen tried to stop, but a habit is hard to break.

Somewhere, in a far part of the palace, a loud but melodic horn could be heard. It must mean something, but what, she did not know. There was a lot she would have to learn about this place, she reflected. Even with knowledge of the language and some of the custom, there was the weight of hundreds of years of ceremony in front of her - how to address her new family, how not to address others, how she should dress, and when to speak. It was a daunting list of things to learn in a month.

It was a comfort to her that her fiancé, Prince Minseok, had been so kind. Because in the end, her future life was almost wholly dependent on how well she could tolerate and be tolerated by her soon to be husband. If he disliked her, or failed to support her, she thought, she should surely wither and die (Nauen was well aware of her tendency to dramatically overstate things). It was great, she thought, how he had helped her through the banquet the night before. It was amazing how nice he had been. But then there was that bit about Luhan….

“Teacher Mi Sun, your highness”

Nauen stood and smiled to greet her new teacher. Her cheerful outward greeting was met with a scowl from the woman before her. Teacher Mi Sun, it seemed, had a rather un-sunny disposition.

After bowing in deference, Mi Sun directed the young princes to their studies. Nauen kept her eyes down and tried her best to listen intently. It was evident that her lessons were not going to be fun and games. In fact, they were not going to be pleasant at all.

 

***

“Yah! Yah! You better bring that back or I am going!” Eun Ji was in the middle of one of her outbursts, or as she liked to think of them, her will to spread the education of attitude. The palace staff had taken Princess Nauen’s laundry, and Eun Ji had a thing or two to say to them, especially given the fact she heard one too many bad things about how the Palace’s laundry operated (a good servant looks into these things).

“Yah! I was talking to you!” Eun Ji shouted after the palace servant, who was ignoring her and running off with the bundle of laundry.

She had no choice at this point but to run after the man and give him a good lecture about respecting others, especially when they had something to say. She dashed out of the courtyard of the ladies chambers and rushed after the man. That was when she fell to the ground – hard.

She felt like she had hit a brick wall. Dang, she had been too angry to even look in front of her.

“Are you okay?” A man asked.

Eun Ji was too dizzy to care and (with her usual abrasiveness) replied “What do you think yah!”

It was only after the words left that she looked up to see that the man who had so unceremoniously stopped her by being in the wrong place at the wrong time was no other than Prince Joon Myun, the brother of Nauen’s betrothed. Eun Ji was taken aback as she stared up into his deep brown eyes.

“Yeah. I am okay.’ She stood up and brushed the dust from her clothes, then she remembered her manners. Bowing deeply she asked “Are you okay…um, My Prince?”

Joon Myun, she noticed, blushed furiously at her question. She guessed that he was embarrassed by how uncouth she was, so she blushed in turn and bowed more deeply.

“Yes, Yes, I am okay. Are you okay?” He could not seem to look her in the eyes. Odd, considering how far below him she was when social status was concerned.

“Yes, thank you.” Eun Ji kept her eyes towards the ground, realizing she had let her temper get her into another difficult situation. Joon Myun, not sure what to do, bowed and left. Odd, Eun Ji thought later. How odd the Korean royals act.

***

Luhan dragged himself out of bed earlier than he would have liked (in China he slept well past noon). He had made the conscious decision last night, after tears and reflection that he had to buck up and go with it. He was in Korea, after all, and he had come for some answers.

An opportunity for answers came far sooner than he would have thought. In fact, it arrived with a lanky palace official and an invitation.

He introduced himself as Jong Dae, a royal advisor no less, and delivered an invitation that read like an order- the archery range at eleven o’clock sharp. Once there he would get to spend some quality time with his future in laws. Because, apparently, the social events surrounding the joining of the two families had begun.

Luhan knew exactly where the archery range was located, having been privy to the sport in the two years he had called Gyeongbokgung Palace home. Minseok had been good at it, Luhan remembered. It only made sense that if there was a first time to go forth and socialize within the palace walls, it would involve archery.

When Luhan arrived at the range Minseok was already there. Sehun and Joon Myun were present, as were some young nobles he did not recognize. The men who were busy shooting did not notice his presence, and he was glad. He took the time to take in the scene, to notice the differences.

Minseok was an adult now, not the chubby cheeked teenager that Luhan remembered. His frame had thinned out. He looked better than he had 9 years ago, more masculine. He moved differently too, with more force. He was not an imposing man, but he had an aura that made others around him take note of his movements and gestures.

Minseok held a bow with expert precision, shooting from the slightly raised archery platform. As the arrows wooshed towards their target his face changed ever so much, showing annoyance or pleasure at where they landed.

When he missed the target by an inch he bit his lip in annoyance, his cheekbones flashing as he scrunched up the corner of his mouth. It was an expression Luhan remembered well, and it did something to his insides to see it again. How things changed but stayed the same. Funny, because he never thought he would see it again.

Luhan ended his observations and quietly entered the courtyard. Before he could make his way up the steps to the archery deck Sehun let out a greeting. He could swear Sehun made a face when he did it, apparently the youngest of the brothers was still as bratty as ever.

Minseok dropped his bow and turned to greet Luhan. It was awkward to say the least. Both men bowed slightly and looked at the ground. Anyone watching them would have thought they were newly acquainted, not old friends with a history. It was a good thing that Joon Myun took charge.

“Prince Luhan. I never expected to see you again, but it is a pleasure” It was evident that Joon Myun’s words were forced politeness, as they were delivered with a smile that had a sour twist. Joon Myun could never control his expressions.

“Joon Myun.” Luhan nodded in greeting and then gave his own sour smirk “You have grown up. And Sehun- you are taller than your brothers now”

If there was a way to make Joon Myun feel awkward one only had to mention growing – so sensitive was he about his height.

 Minseok saw his younger brother’s expressions (Sehun rolled his eyes and Joon Myun looked put out) and decided it was best he kill the awkwardness quickly.

“It is good to see you, Luhan” It was honest. Too honest and it made Luhan want to run away.

“You still shoot” Luhan wished he could punch himself. Or sew his mouth shut. Because in the last two days every time he said something it came out the exact way he did not want it to sound. Sad, or angry, or energetic. This time it was poignant, and soft, and not at all sounding like an offhand casual remark.

Minseok grinned.

“Yeah. Do you?”

“Not if I can help it.” Why was this so friendly?

Minseok let out a laugh.

“You always were one to avoid things”

It was Luhan’s turn to laugh. Why was this coming out like a reunion full of cheer? What happened? He dragged a hand through his chestnut locks, looking down he smirked.

“You may have heard, but I avoid a lot of things now” Luhan looked up and his eyes caught Minseok’s. There was an edge of seriousness about the statement.

Minseok didn’t bother responding to the words, instead he handed his bow to Luhan.

“Your turn”

Luhan took the weapon in his hands. He had forgotten how it felt to hold a bow, to feel the power as an arrow was released and the bowstring snapped back.

Luhan faced the target, remembering what he had been taught so long ago. To take note of the wind direction, to take note of the way he instinctively aimed.

“We need to talk” Minseok leaned in and said it in a low tone, as Luhan fidgeted with the bow. He was sure no one else heard the words. He nodded. Now this type of atmosphere, this was what he had expected.

***

“The only thing you really need to know is that you do not, I repeat, do not piss off Soo Man” Jong Dae had taken it upon himself to give his Chinese counterparts, Yixing and Chanyeol, a tour of the palace – complete with an education on who they should make friends with and who to avoid.

“Why?” Chanyeol asked. Jong Dae had been slightly off put by Chanyeol’s exuberance and bluntness, until he realized that it reminded him of himself in some ways (the bluntness any way).

“Because if you piss off Soo Man, you piss off the King” Jong Dae had taken them through the scholar’s quarters, the advisor’s offices, and had arrived at the ceremonial buildings that housed state functions.

“We have someone like that in China” Yixing, who Jong Dae learned was more of a secretary to the Emperor of China than Prince Luhan, remarked. Jong Dae liked the affable fellow upon meeting him. He was impressed with his Korean skills, even if he had to ask what a word meant now and then (causing Chanyeol to rattle off the definition in Mandarin).

“Then you understand” Jong Dae smiled.

“I am assuming we are going to see a schedule soon” Chanyeol had been waiting, he knew that there was some kind of plan but had yet to see where Luhan had to be and when.

“Yeah. We are finalizing it. For now His Highness wants the Chinese delegation to relax after their travels.” Jong Dae couldn’t exactly speak the truth, which was that His Highness was waiting to see how nicely Luhan played with the rest of the family before he shoved the lot of them into public appearances and palace events.

“I won’t let Prince Luhan do anything stupid” Chanyeol was smarter than he looked, Jong Dae thought.

Jong Dae continued the tour, letting Chanyeol’s comments slide. When they reached the formal gardens Yixing let out an exclamation of appreciation.

“Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful” The Chinese secretary walked a little ahead of Jong Dae and Chanyeol and spun around slowly.

“I am sure the gardens in Beijing are far superior to ours” Jong Dae, ever so humble if it came to the royal family.

“Honestly, I could care less for gardens. Was a portion of the palace ever modernized?” Chanyeol asked. A blunt fellow, Jong Dae thought.

“Alas, that is only in the family’s quarters. The rest of the palace has retained its original intent and structure.” And the Queen had massacred everything else that she could lay her hands on, Jong Dae wanted to add.

Yixing continued walking ahead, enjoying the fauna that was changing with the season. Chanyeol sighed. It seemed that Yixing would have them spend the rest of the day here, admiring the layout. He shut his mouth though, and politely walked alongside Jong Dae.

“What is that house for?” Chanyeol pointed to a small structure that was tucked far into a corner of the gardens, its roof barely visible given the structure of the garden paths.

“Ah- that was built by the last monarch for his favorite concubine. A hiding spot if you will. No one uses it anymore”

Chanyeol took note. Because if Luhan was going to find a place to hide, he was sure that would be it.

***

Chanyeol knew Luhan too well. Or maybe it was Minseok that knew Luhan too well. Either way, Luhan ended up in the small house at the edge of the gardens later that day. It was afternoon, the time when daily routine and responsibility was fading into the formality of the evening. It was then that Minseok told him to meet him, and it was the house that Minseok wanted to meet him at.

Luhan had a million different versions of the meeting playing through his head. They would fight, they would argue, they would cry, hell they could always just laugh. For all of his versions, he had failed to guess exactly how the meeting would go down.

The small traditional house was hidden amidst a garden and a small courtyard, a spot that was perfect if you wanted to be alone in a palace that took up 100 acres and was forever teeming with people. Minseok knew Luhan was aware of its existence, they had spent a memorable night sneaking soju in the place 10 years ago.

 Luhan pushed open the door to the small courtyard. And there stood Minseok. He was dressed in a button down shirt and black slacks. He moved his foot absentmindedly back and forth, kicking the dust of the courtyard in little circles of boredom. If Luhan did not know any better he would think the man before him was a handsome salary man who wandered into the palace by accident. But he was no salary man, he belonged to the place.

Minseok heard the door open and looked at Luhan as he entered. His expression was rather unreadable, which annoyed Luhan.

As soon as they faced each other, standing a few feet apart, Minseok asked the question that Luhan never expected. The Korean Crown Prince seemed to brace himself before he asked, putting his hands in his pockets as his shoulders stiffened. It was like he was assuming a strong front for whatever came next.

“Do you remember what happened?” Minseok spoke slowly, staring into Luhan’s eyes. It was quiet for a moment, the words hanging over both of them.

“Do you remember 9 years ago? When you left?” Minseok’s eyes widened. He looked like he was secretly begging for mercy, there was a glimpse of hope in his eyes. His left eyebrow raised up, questioning. He lost his strong stance.

“What?” Luhan blurted it out and it was not a calmly spoken question. Was this a real question?

“I can’t remember anything after we left the palace that day and they found us. Not until weeks later” Minseok’s words were suddenly rushed, spilling out with a heavy dose of emotions. His eyes were still imploring for the answer he wanted.

Luhan swallowed. How could it be- that his questions were not his own. It seemed this problem, his problem, was actually their problem. Was this for real?

“You really don’t remember?” Luhan spoke carefully, as though his words would break apart as he enunciated them.

Minseok looked away. Jesus, Luhan thought, was he crying?

“Do you remember?” Minseok turned back towards Luhan. He was definitely tearing up.

“No Just what they told me.” Luhan answered in a low whisper.

“F-ing Christ.” Minseok turned away and walked towards the house. Once he reached the small structure he leaned his head to the wall, punching a fist in frustration at the wall.

“You don’t remember either?” Luhan wasn’t sure if he actually spoke the words. He was too busy repeating it to himself- he lost. Luhan had lost. Every battle he came to fight he had just lost. At that moment, his fight became a small battle in a far greater war. Because he could not hate someone if they could not remember either. What in the hell was going on?