9

The Chicken Case

9.

“Halmeoni, I will come sooner home to say goodbye to you, ok?” asked leaving Minsuk and  Halmeoni smiled “ Ok, take the food that your sister prepared for those boys and go  to school,”
 
Minsuk nodded and opened the door for himself, before he walked off to pick up his girlfriend.
When he came to her door she was already waiting for him and smiling.
“Rannie, don’t forget to bring home some food for those new police officers,” cried her sister Sumi from the window and when she saw how Minsuk walked nearer and nearer she quickly hurried from the house.
“What are you doing here?” asked Sumi “ And what about those food packages?”
“That’s for BAP, “ said Minsuk and when Ran’s sister opened to ask who the hell BAP is he answered “ police office,”
 
“Of course, your sister must be the first,” she mumbled and Ran rolled her eyes. Her sister was sometimes unbelievable. She glanced at her boyfriend hoping that he would be calmed down, and won’t do some scene. Minsuk looked untouched with the remark of her sister and she smiled.
“Never-mind, are you coming?” he glanced at his girlfriend and she smiled grabbing one of the boxes and with other hand Minsuk’s hand and shouted “ Bye sister!”
 
As they walked off Minsuk started “ I am really curious about the real reason why your noona hates my noona,”
It was the truth, the things that people knew about their relationship were not true. There had to be something more than just what others said about them. And it was unfortunate that Minhee was still thinking about Sumi as about her friend. While Ran’s sister hated her.
“Maybe we should ask them,”
“You know that my sister told me to not ask her anything and that whatever Sumi is going to tell me is not going to be true,” pronounced tall boy and his girlfriend frowned “ My sister isn’t a liar, there must be some misunderstanding. Although maybe in your eyes my sister looks like bad woman, she is not. I love her, and she is absolutely different when there is no talk about your sister,”
 
As they walked and disagreed they didn’t catch that they already walked to the address of the police station. Well it was hard enough when a queue of old ladies, young girls and teenage students stood in front of the house waiting for them.
In their hands there were presents and more food. Luckily Minhee was aware that something like that could happen so she prepared less food.
Door suddenly opened and all six men walked from the house, closing it precisely and glanced at the crowd.
 
All of them bowed at once and started “ Annyeonghaseyo, from now on we are going to be in charge of safety in this town. I hope you will treat us well and be cooperative if anything happens. There is a new phone number for the police office so you can write it down and call anytime you want to,” said Himchan and Minsuk chuckled and whispered to his girlfriend “ they still don’t know what it means to be a police officer here, and when they are young and handsome, it will do more bad than good,” he chuckled again and Ran had to place her hand on to not laugh out loud.
People started slowly going home when all of them glanced at the young officers and Minsuk and Ran had just few minutes to give them the food, because the school was going to start soon.
 
“Och, hey Minsuk, Ran,” Youngjae bowed to both of them and took the boxes.
“It is going to be hard for you from now on,” Ran said “Oppa, women are not going to give you peace, all of you are too handsome,”
Minsuk growled unhappy with her compliment and Daehyun  calmly walked to him asking “ When is your sister going to be home?”
Younger boy face-palmed himself “ See, it’s good that you ask hyung, because I would have forgotten about it. Today I am going to come later, because my Halmeoni is leaving. That’s why my sister took the night shift in kindergarten but she is going to be helping her pack and prepare things with my halmeoni, so she will be free at evening,”
 
“I see,” Yonguk said and placed his hand on boy’s shoulder “ Look, can you do something for us? We heard the broadcast yesterday, and I think you know at what I am pointing on,”
Minsuk nodded sure about what his hyung was trying to say” Well, you have to announce somewhere that we are searching for the people who had that experience with chicken, would you do that for us?”
“ I can figure something out,” said Minsuk and wanted to ran off with Ran’s hand in his.
“Thank you,” all of them waved at leaving couple.

When Minsuk helped Ran to jump through the closed fence to the school she asked “ Why they can’t ask about those chicken, but you have to?”
“Because they know it would cause more problem that good. All of the people would be coming just to see them, and not because they are sincere,” he said and Ran nodded.
“See how intelligent and clever is your boyfriend?”
“I don’t know about that,”
 
They were lucky, because one of those people who went to look at new police force was their teacher, so he wasn’t in the classroom when they opened the door.
As they sat down and the classroom silence hugged them, Minsuk immediately started thinking about how to ask people in this town about the chicken matter.
It would cause the “global fear” if he asked in the name of police office. He had to ask as himself, that would solve everything.
Nodding for himself satisfied with what he came up with he placed his head on desk and closed his eyes.
Ran turned to him and seeing him sleeping on desk sighed
“ This boy,”
 

 

Minhee walked to the church with determined face. Her grandma was very religious person and she tried to make Min siblings the same. Unfortunately for her, both of them were too stubborn, that they just had a faith but weren’t as devoted as she wished.
The big wooden door with black paintings was always opened for anyone. Church was old but in a good shape, because  many people in that town sacrificed their free time to help it keep like that.
She walked in with and typical sound of organ hit her.
 
Inhaling the scent of olibanum she quickly covered her nostril. When It came to something she hated it was that scent. Church was empty so she just sat down waiting until person who played finishes his personal concert.
In few seconds voice she heard many times in her life echoed “ And who is here?”
 
“Jihyun!” Minhee cried and waved at her old friend.
“Are you looking for someone?” Jihyun asked. Jihyun had slightly longer brown hair, glasses on his nose and was skinny. He used to go to the class with Sumi and Minhee and was the nerd type of guy. Although Minhee, Euntae and Sumi were pretty nerdy too, they had never been taken as  class nerds. They were too funny and had many hobbies.
Jihyun on the other side was a typical nerd. After he graduated he started working in hospital as volunteer.
 
“Pater isn’t here? He is going to leave with my halmeoni so I wanted to ask him to watch what is she eating. I brought a list of things she can’t eat, because I know that she is going to cheat when I am not going to be with her,”
“ Of course he is here, wait Min I will call him for you,”
Jihyun disappeared for several seconds beside the rostrum and came back with smaller looking bold man.
“Minhee, you came?” Pater asked and went to hug his lost sheep. “ I haven’t seen you a lot lately,”
Woman blushed bright red and smiled at him “ Sorry, I was occupied,”
 
Pater chuckled “ I can’t pursue you and your brother to come here, because you wouldn’t come on purpose, but what do you need?”
“I know you are leaving with my halmeoni, so I came to give you this list, please look after her. She is too stubborn and will eat everything she can, “ Minhee gave him a paper and he took it.
“ I will try, but you know that Mrs. Han is just as stubborn as you, so it is going to be hard task, do you have anything you want to tell me? I can see that there is something bothering, just tell me, maybe I can help you,”
Minhee was little hesitant at first but then she agreed with him. She wasn’t able to confess her uncertainty and fears and that bad feeling to her family.
 
“I will tell you, but you can’t tell grandma fine?” she asked and Jihyun sat down too smiling “May I hear too?”
“Don’t worry we will make it a shrift ok?” Pater smiled and Minhee looked at Jihyun.
“You know maybe you should listen to it too, because somehow I feel it will be good if you knew,”
“You may start, I am listening,” Pater took her hands and tightly held them.
 
She confessed everything. How two people came to her and scared her very much, how she was afraid because Minsuk was  doing something she didn’t like. That those chicken cases were pretty disturbing and how she felt that her heart was sinking down.
Pater and Jihyun were together silent all the time and just listened to her. Minhee didn’t mind that Jihyun could see her heart. He was a good guy and she knew that he would had never used it against her in any way.
“I see, it’s really suspicious. Minhee I am not going to tell you anything what you have to do, but when anything happens you have to tell police, and don’t take your intuition as not serious thing. Women have the best intuition because they have to look after their offspring, so I think it is for best ig you are just cautious about what is happening around you,” Pater said after she finished and Minhee nodded.
 
Jihyun on the other hand looked shocked and said “ I thought that Chanjung was just telling something that didn’t happen yesterday. But you know what. My dog yesterday vanished and I am pretty scared because he is very clever and knows how to get home,”
Jihyun was not living in house like other people, he lived in the rooftop of one coffee shop, so he didn’t have any domestic animals.
Woman sighed “ There is something really strange going on, and I don’t know what is that, but I have the strange feeling that it is somehow linked with our class,”
 
“By the way, Minhee the church masses will be in Pater’s absence held by me, “ Jihyun smirked at his classmate and added whispering “ So it will be more fun and you can come,”
Pater smacked his head and Minhee chuckled.
 
When she was leaving the church she said to herself that she will tell everything to the BAP too. After she came home she started preparing things for her halmeoni, but also other things around house. It was Thursday so BAP was coming for dinner in a day, so she wanted to clean everything.
Because of halmeoni she took the night shift in Thursday and day shift in Friday. She took the ladder to get to the attic, where halmeoni’s old suitcase was, and opened the small hatch and slowly stood to the wooden floor.
 
“We really should clean this place sometime,” Minhee coughed as she breathed in some spider web.
Attic was pretty big, and she wasn’t sure what kind of things were hidden up there. Han grandma was last time out when she visited her friend in near village, and it was around five years ago, so Minhee wasn’t sure where her suitcase was.
Luckily that place had big windows so there wasn’t need to have light with her. Masses of boxes were there and she spotted also those boxes she had sworn to never open. Those ones that belonged to her father and mother.
 
She sighed and crouched to look under the old table that was up there. There was it.  Big, old, red suitcase with simple zip and only one pocket. Table was full of books and Minhee was afraid to take it from under it, because there was thread that the big column of the books will fall down.
“Ok, slowly,” she said to herself and tried to pull it.  Their attic was in that kind of state, that if one thing was going to lose it’s place, whole room fill fall down like a house from cards.
 
She was successful and just three books fell from the table. She sighed and leaned down to pick it up.
“This is my school almanac,” she told to herself and decided to take it with her.
 

 

“Where are we going?” Ran asked as she was pulled by her boyfriend somewhere.
Minsuk had got through the class of biology idea about what to do with that cases “ We are going to the office, I need you to help me,”
“How can I help you?” Rannie was still little lost, but she saw that Minsuk was not giving her any attention, so she just gave up.
 
Her boyfriend stopped in front of the office, where the school mentor sat. The school mentor was that teacher, who in addition to his normal teacher responsibilities had to look after the children. Their school mentor was a woman and her name was Mrs. Jung. This lady was plum person with easy going attitude and she cared a lot about students.
Ran pulled little stronger Minsuk’s hand and glanced at him with question in her eyes. He just smirked and knocked on the door.
 
“Come in,” Mrs Jung’s voice invited them in and Minsuk opened the door.
“Ran, Minsuk come, what do you need?” She asked immediately as she saw who those people were. Although she was trying to cover it, she really loved Minsuk. For some reason she had a week place for that kind of person in her heart.
“Teacher,” Minsuk bowed and Ran almost stomped her feet. If she didn’t know better, she would have thought that he was flirting with his teacher “ I have to ask you for a small favour, if you can help me of course,”
 
Mrs Jung was little surprised by his sudden question but smiled, showing her lipstick stained teeth “Tell me what you need and I’ll see what I can do for you,”
“Well there is this, I need to start a club. But I want your help, because I need your approval,” he said and Mrs Jung opened in amazement.
“But Minsuk, you are in your senior year, why do you want to start a club now?” she asked and Ran nodded. She also couldn’t understand why he wanted something like that.
“Because I feel, that I need to have here something that will be called with my name,” he theatrically said and Ran could see how he was imagining the label on some room with his name “ and because I think I will need it for my  application to school,”
 
Mrs Jung nodded and accepted his explanation. From the drawer in her desk she took out a paper and opened her pen.
“So what kind of club it should be?” she asked and Minsuk smiled. According to his plan everything was going smoothly, just like he had planned.
“ I want to make it a detective or mystery club. Everybody who is interested in something mysterious, or something without explanation, should come,” he said and smiled from ear to ear.
Ran almost hugged her boyfriend. He could be sometimes so clever, unfortunately he was the lazy .
 
As the teacher wrote everything they wanted to have on the paper Minsuk looked around her office and found a flyer advertising a school for future scientists.
He chuckled imagining Ran being the one in the white cloth and standing in front of the boiling colourful liquids.
“Are you interested?” Mrs Jung asked as she spotted him eyeing that flyer.
 
He just shook his head as a response and Ran saw that jerk-ish smirk of his and immediately knew what was the thing he had in his mind.
“ Later you both come to my office, we will talk about your future, “ teacher said and turned the paper to them, showing them place where they had to write contacts. Both of them wrote their e-mail addresses and Minsuk added his phone number.
“Fine, I will tell it to the school broadcast, and then, what about two o’clock you can meet in my office with those who are going to be interested,” she said and Ran smiled. This lady was truly very kind and considerate.
 
When they exited that office Ran asked Minsuk “ Do you think someone is going to come?”
Minsuk giggled “ I have my method, and that’s why you are involved,”
Ran was taken aback by his last words. Her boyfriend was again trying to act mysterious and she wasn’t fond of that.
 

 

As two o’clock came, couple slowly opened the door to the office of the school mentor. As she promised, through the break she did the announcement in the school broadcast. Although not many people were giving attention to whatever that small machine was telling, that one person who he wanted to get, was immersed in everything.
 
“What’s this?” Ran was shocked with the amount of people who were standing inside. She thought that maybe two or three people would come, but almost 30 people were there, waiting for them.
“Well,” Minsuk smiled when he saw the cause of this mass.
 
“Junho,” he nodded his head to that cause. He was sitting on the chair and looking at the couple uniteressed with whatever they were going to say.
“So, what are we going to do?” asked Junho and smirked at Minsuk. Ran somehow felt, that if those two weren’t so competitive around each other , they would make a great friends.
 
“I want to welcome all of you here. This club will be devoted to the interesting, mysterious and unbelievable events that happened to you. I want to write it down, all the things you have gone through. Your families, your friends and other people you know,” Minsuk pronounced and Ran smiled.
Everybody clapped, their brain started to work on the stories they will make up. After they agreed upon the place where they are going to meet regularly Ran said “ But you know there are this strange deaths of chicken, what do you think about that?”
 
The room giggled but Minsuk knew that it was because those people were just too embarrassed to talk about that in front of others. They thought it would be silly to be concerned about something like that. That’s why when the two of them left the room Minsuk emphasised his e-mail address to all of them.
 

Hi:D How is your school break little things? I am sorry, I still find it hard to find time for writting. Considering that next week I am going to start working, and there is no internet connection, so I will be just writting(hopefully!)

If you are interested how does Junho in my story look, he looks

Yeah...Infinite's Sungyeol:D He is NOT Sungyeol...he just looks like him:D
Have nice rest of the day...I try updating tommorrow as well:D we'll see