15

The Chicken Case
15.
 
Minsuk still held his girlfriend tightly. Maybe she hadn’t got a serious thing about snakes but which normal girl would like to watch them sizzle and crawl on your floor right?
 
MInhee glanced at Sumi and came closer to her who was sitting on the little chair in front of their house. Next to her, with hand on her shoulder was Euntae, he was just standing. But it was what she needed the most. His presence.
“Sumi are you all right?” asked Minhee as she came closer. On her own surprise her former best friend didn’t look at her with despise, her big brown eyes with thousands of small green flacks warmly stopped on her face.
 
She stood up and Minhee sensed her arms closing around her trapping her in her warm embrace.
“ I am so sorry,” Sumi sobbed and started crying.
“Me too,” Minhee said and followed her crying friend.
Minsuk, Ran and Euntae glanced at each other and Euntae said “ Finally, we had to wait for this for more than two years to happen,”
 
Yonguk was watching the scene and didn’t tell anything until they heard movement from inside, like if someone was moving the furniture.
Sumi yelped and let go of Minhee who remarked “ Maybe we should go for a walk,”
“Ok, we can go to the park,” Euntae said and both girls nodded but Sumi glanced at Minhee’s feet “You don’t have boots on,”
“Really?” Minhee looked down and chuckled “ Yeah, I don’t , I totally forgot about it,”
 
Yonguk was about to take his shoes down but Sumi said “ Wait, I will borrow you the garden shoes I have in the back,”
After few minutes she came back with black plastic-looking boots for gardening and Minhee smiled, she remembered how the two of them used to play in the rain or on the rice-fields when they were small.
And like this the six of them went to the park. Park in the village was a part of an old institute, which was the real reason for building the town here. People used to think, that the river that was in the mountains had healthy effects on people.
 
So, the rich scholar build an institute for recovering people. Nowadays only thing that was left from it was park and one small full-wooden house, where people used to pray instead of church in belief that they will live longer.
 
Minsuk and Ran were in the back holding hands and Minsuk kissed Ran several times while walking, which she answered with crinkling her nose and pouting.
“You are so adorable when you do that,” he mocked her again and she hit his side with her elbow.
“Ouch, that hurt,”
“I know, it meant to hurt,” Ran said and pouted again making him eager to kiss her. He leaned closer, closer and closer and she in belief that he was going to kiss her closed her eyes instantly.
 
He chuckled and pinched her cheeks running away “ Ya! Han Minsuk! You idiot, wait for me, I will kill you,” she cried running after him.
 
Sumi and Minhee glanced at each other “ Why do I feel like when we were thirteen having to look after our younger siblings, and it was the same?”
“Because it is,” Minhee said and looked at Sumi “ Look, I am so sorry, I should have come to you and explain everything, I should have been more initiative to make you believe that I didn’t do anything wrong, but I didn’t. I was scared of you, seeing you with hate all over your face. I was a coward. Forgive me,”
Sumi shook her head “ No, Minhee it was my fault. I was the one who blamed you and I believed something I shouldn’t have. How could I believe someone else when I knew you almost all of our lifes? You were my family, no! You are my family, and after a month, I knew I did wrong, but I was too selfish to admit that I ruined everything, I pretended to be angry at you. But everytime I saw you, or Minsuk it just made me angry with myself, because I was the one who did all….”
 
“Girls, stop this, fine? Both of you were in fault, but you have made up so, stop talking about the past, and talk about what is happening in this freaking town!” Euntae cut her off and she gazed at him.
 
Yonguk giggled at the scene and said “ He is right, by the way, there is something I am pretty interested in, how exactly did you knew that if Euntae came Sumi would be fine?”
Minhee thought about it little and answered “ You know, this wasn’t the first time we faced this problem,”
 
“Yeah, it was on that school vacation, we had all together but  we hadn' known that we were going to zoo, which meant reptiles and snakes and everything everywhere,” Euntae stated and Sumi continued “ We were sixteen that time already, and I had almost forgotten about it, you know you don’t see snakes around the corner, so I haven’t said anything to our teacher. We came in and it was an open zoo, you know, that one when you can almost touch animals, because they are not In cages, but you are walking past them. And there was this big yellow looking silky snake it crawled behind the tree, and as I saw it, I went blank, I remember just that I woke up, alone closed at the toilet because I heard Euntae’s voice,”
 
“When she saw that snake, she cried so loud that the security came, she ran away, I couldn’t find her for almost an hour. At the end she was at the toilet, she closed the door and cried. Luckily Euntae came with me, and somehow we talked with her. Mostly Euntae, he told her story and she after about half an hour came out,” Minhee said and Sumi smiled.
“So, it was like this, so it means, all of your classmates saw that,” Yonguk was thinking out loud.
“But what does it have to do with our classmates?”
“I have the feeling that everything,” said Yonguk and Minhee closed her eyes glancing at the sky that was filled with sunlight.
“ I don’t know what to think about this town anymore, it has so much hatred,”
 
“It’s not the town, this is the work of a human, not of the town,” Yonguk said and Minsuk came over “Hyung what are you going to do?” he looked at him and officer said “ We have to do something, Minsuk, Ran if you want to, you can go with me, Euntae I will give girls to you, look after them,”
“We’ll go,” couple said and their playfulness was long gone.
 

 

The door on the house opened and Zelo quickly appeared in front of Yonguk “ Hyung, what has happened? Chan and Youngjae hyungs left so quickly, that they didn’t tell us anything, and I am confused. Och hey Minsuk, Ran,”
“Calm down Zelo, everything has its order, where is Hyun and Jongup? He is here right?”
“They are in the back, observing that big spider Jongup brought,”
 
“Fine, we will wait for Himchan and Youngjae and then talk about everything, we need to set things straight and think about it further,”
After ten minutes both officers came and Youngjae showed snakes to Daehyun who was really interested. They took them somewhere and returned to the office.
“Sit,” Himchan instructed and eight people in the room did as they were told.
“So to start with, we have to tell what we know, right?” Yonguk said and glanced at Minsuk signing him to speak “ OK. So first of all, we know that someone is killing animals in the houses of people who came to school with my sister. Those people are the most successful from whole class, including Sumi and Noona,”
“Those animals are Chickens which are known as symbol of intelligence and power additionally success,” his girlfriend pointed out and Himchan nodded.
 
“ But also we know that someone apparently knowing that Sumi and Minhee have phobia from snakes and spiders send them those,” Jongup said and Ran sighed.
“Plus someone attacked Minhee few days ago, it can be related to this thing or not,” Zelo said and Minsuk stood up “ So she was attacked and she lied?!”
“Calm down Minsuk, she knew you would have reacted this way that why she hasn’t told you anything, just the part of the truth,” Yonguk said and Minsuk scratched his head desperately.
“So, now, evidence. The blood on Han’s house is from dog, I don’t know if you have any hair from the scene, but it would be fine to know, because in that case I would be able to tell you which race it was and maybe we can find the owner,” said Daehyun and Youngjae said “ I found some on my way here, here it is,” he placed a paper envelope on the table and Daehyun nodded.
 
“Well, we know that it must be someone from their class, because it is very obvious that the one who is after all of this stuff knows both of your sisters,”
“Do not worry anymore Minsuk, on Monday the CCTVs are going to come and we are going to instal them, to see if your sister is all right, until then,” Zelo started and Himchan continued “ We can’t let your sisters be alone for a second, you have to look if they are all right, other things we need to do are simple, because we are not known in this town so well as you two, you have to help us,”
 
“How can we help you hyung?” asked Minsuk.
 
“Well, we cannot make people panic, so you have to go ask all of those who were attacked about their school years, do you have an idea?” Youngjae asked.
Both teenagers were for moment quiet and glanced at each other Minsuk suddenly screamed “ I know, there is school reunion every two years in our school. So we can go and ask them about their relationships and tell that is for that occasion,”
Himchan clapped his hands “ Fine, that’s good idea, you can go and do that, you can start tomorrow,”
Minsuk saluted and Ran nodded.
 
“And we are going to do some observing, of those who weren’t attacked,” Yonguk said and his voice was really sharp and deep in that moment.
 

 

On the other day, Minhee opened her eyes and immediately smiled. Next to her like if they were twelve years old, her best friend slept entangled with her bed covers in her pyjama with penguins. When both girls were fourteen, Sumi used to sleep at least once a week in Minhee’s house, they played games to the midnight and than fantasised about their future boyfriend.
 
As always Minhee was awake first, she quickly grabbed her clothes and went to the shower. Although so many bad things had happened, one thing that made her happy, was  that she was again able to say that Sumi is her best friend.
On her own surprise she found Minsuk widely awake, making breakfast for Ran sitting behind the kitchen table.
She paced to her dongsaeng and placed hand on his head measuring his temperature.
“Noona, what’re you doing?” he asked shaking her hand down.
 
“I am trying to know, if you are sick or something, because you are very suspicious,” she said and Ran chuckled “ I know, he called me at seven, that he is going to make me breakfast, and that I should come, so I did, I didn’t know he was not making jokes,”
Minsuk placed the plate with vegetables on the table and said “ Sit,”
Minhee raised her eyebrow but did as she was told, although her suspicion was still there. Someone knocked on the door and when Minhee wanted to stand up Minsuk said “ No, I’ll go,”
 
He stopped in front of the door and asked “ Who is this?”
“Euntae, Minsuk, let me in,”
Young boy opened the front door and their well known friend came in “ What are you making, it smells nicely,”
“Eggs, Do you want some hyung?”
“Yeah,” said Euntae and sat down. In that very moment Sumi in her penguin pyjama slowly came down. Her hair everywhere, her cheeks still with traces from pillow, hair in and she scratched her head.
 
“Good morning,” she whispered and loosened her body on the chair next to Euntae while her sister and her best friend had to suppress their laugh.
It was pretty hard.
“Minsukkie, do me one too, please,” she said and scratched her head. She turned around and saw Euntae who was with smirk watching her every move. He raised his hand and said: “Hi!”
 
“WHAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT!!!!” she cried and almost fell from the chair.
Instantly her cheeks turned red as an apple and she angrily eyed her family “I am going to change now, if you excuse me,” she turned around and marched away with raised head.
Rannie smiled at her sister and Euntae dreamingly glanced at the leaving girl. She was back, her old kind of tricky and funny self returned. He could be content again.
 
“What do you have to do today noona?” asked Minsuk and placed the plate with eggs in front of his sister.
“Well, I will have to go to kindergarten today, because one girl wanted to have a break today, so I am going to temp for her, why do you ask?”
Minsuk almost told her that Yonguk  had asked him to report what is Minhee going to do, because he was determined to look after her.
“Because today, I have to start doing something with Ran, and I am going to visit your ex-schoolmates, so I won’t he home,”
“Don’t worry, I am leaving in afternoon, and yesterday we talked with Sumi and I am going home with her, because I am going to help her with strawberries,”
 
Minsuk frowned anyway, two girls, that were probably in the biggest danger right now, were going to stay together, with nobody looking after them. Euntae luckily saw his face and quickly said “ I am going to be with them,”
Ran smiled at him, he was so thoughtful, when he wanted.
 
In few moments fully dressed and prepared Sumi walked down the stairs and charmingly smiled. Unfortunately for her everyone in the room new her well, so her fake cool face was not working on them.
When she sat down next to Euntae again, he leaned and kissed her cheek. She reddened while Ran and Minhee touched hands under the table and shook it.
It worked after all.
 

 

Daehyun came to the office and said “ I know what kind of dog was that,”
Himchan immediately stood up and everyone in the room started paying attention to their friend.
 
“It was a whippet,” Daehyun said and Jongup nodded “ Somehow, I expected that, from what I know, Minhee told me that one of her friends from school had whippet and he is lost right now,”
“It was that one who helps with the masses in the church, right?” asked Yonguk frowning hardly. Himchan stood up and went to check Youngjae and Zelo, who had hard time managing the computer program. Almost all night both of them were up, Youngjae explaining how it is possible to know if the key was copied or not, and Zelo had to make program that would memorise and use all those instructions.
 
“This is not it,” said Youngjae observing the computer screen and Zelo’s head fell on the desk with loud thud: “ Hyung, anieo. I know that there is something wrong with this, it would be much easier if we had support from institution,”
“What is it?” asked Himchan as he walked into the room and found both men in desolate state.
“It doesn’t match,” Youngjae started: “You know it should be looking at the layers made on the key. But it is not, it looks just at the surface, I don’t know what to do with this,”
Himchan was clever, but math wasn’t exactly his favourite subject in school, he just blankly shrugged his shoulders and smiled “ You know, I am not expert on things like this,”
 
Daehyun appeared from nowhere and said “ Maybe Minhee can help you with that, she is studying math,”
“Isn’t this pretty embarrassing?” asked Youngjae when Yonguk handed him phone “Yeah, it is, but you know what to do, so do not complain about this, it’s for her sake,”
“Ok,” Youngjae dialled Minhee’s number and waited few seconds.
 
“Yeah, oppa, what do you need?” Minhee asked curious, because Youngjae wasn’t the one that used to call her from BAP.
“Well, I need your help, how you can make…..” and he started talking about something,  that was besides for Zelo a big blur for other BAP members. Something about formula and division.
Minhee on the other side said “Put me on loud speaker,”
He did as he was told and Minhee’s calm voice echoed in the room “ You need to check the material, the formula is working only if you make it just for one material. To generalise it you need to take out delta of the density ,”
Youngjae immediately wrote strange symbols on the paper and Zelo in few seconds re-wrote the computer program “It’s working, thanks Minhee,”
 
“That’s ok, anytime,” she sang to the phone and Youngjae breathed in and out. “It’s going to have to work without checking at first, but I know it is going to be fine,”
He said and Zelo put the photos of the key to the computer program.
The computer started working, several numbers showed on the screen. Zelo sighed “We are not home, so it will take a while,”
“Ok, what can we do now?” Asked Jongup looking at Himchan with wide eyes.
“We have to hope, that Minsuk is going to give us some information, but until then, we have to check the post office,”
 
“You have a point, both boxes were sent by someone to Sumi and to Minhee, maybe someone in the post office will know, from who, is that box, and when they were delivered,” Daehyun said and Yonguk smiled.
“Maybe you two, should go, Jongup, Daehyun, you can sneek into the post office somehow, and get the information without other people noticing,”
“But, Zelo didn’t hack to the post office? Doesn’t he have the immediate contact with their database?”
 
Zelo shook his head “ No, the database is being updated every week, and the database is on the internet. They keep the recent deliveries on the special post server in the case the post might be returned. After a week or such time, they copy the new data to the database. I can’t get into that database, because it is not on the internet. That computer is just for storage without any network connection, and without that, I can do nothing,”
 
Daehyun nodded and grabbed his little bag, knocked the shoulder of Jongup and showed him the sing to come with him.
Jongup followed his hyung and Yonguk, Himchan, Zelo and Youngjae stayed in the room.
“What about you, hyung?” Youngjae asked Himchan and he glanced at Yonguk with concern.
 
“We need to talk,” he said and motioned Younguk to follow him. They left the room and Zelo looked at his friend “ Do you know what this is about?”
Youngjae “ Have no clue, but I think it will be serious if they come out with the thing we don’t want,”
 

Hello:D so the 15th chapter is up. I know,that I was supposed to upload it sooner, but somehow I couldn't. SUJU had a comeback...and I was...preocupied...soooo

Sorry...I try harder.