12

The Chicken Case
12.
 
Ran was preparing the table while Minhee prepared the food in the kitchen. And Minsuk? Minsuk was nowhere to find. He came home several hours before, but he just said that “ I will take shower and be immediately down,”
Well, that immediately was taking him more than two hours.
 
It was something past seven o’clock when boy came down from upstairs. Minhee glared at him and he knew what she was trying to tell him.
Ran just shook her head and chuckled. She admired their relationship. Sumi was a great sister, and she loved her, but between the two of them there wasn’t that spark that Minsuk and Minhee had got. Not from the moment Sumi stopped speaking with Minhee. Before there was fun and laughing between them, but these days they were really apart from each other. From the moment Minsuk and Ran started going out, it was worse.
 
The bell rang and Minsuk jumped and ran to open the door. Six tall guys were standing in front of the house.
“Good evening,” greeted Jongup and started pushing his hyungs aside, to get inside. Minsuk smiled seeing all of them. Truthfully those six men were always just by themselves. They had never came somewhere like this, to meet “friends”.
Zelo spent few hours before surfing the internet and trying to find out how people act when they are invited to the dinner.
Even those clothes they were wearing they had chosen because of the internet article.
 
Minsuk showed them the small room, just behind the door, where they stored all shoes and coats. BAP put it there too and Ran chuckled seeing them being so acrobatic. Normal people would have to hold to something to not fall.
But those guys were something  else. Jongup like it was nothing raised his foot and loosened his shoe-laces, Zelo jumped and his shoes just fell of his feet, like they were instructed to.
 
Daehyun used his feet to help Youngjae with his shoes and in the same time took off his own. Ran wasn’t able to see, how Yonguk and Himchan changed their shoes. They were the first who walked from the room. It took them less than five seconds to change and Minsuk giggled when he saw how astonished Ran was.
He became immune towards their attitude.
 
Yonguk came to the dining room and the place made him warm up. Really it was so long for him, to be somewhere where it looked like home.
From the time he was15 he hadn’t lived in house, that would be telling him that it’s his home.
Rest of BAP came in too and Youngjae smiled at the paintings on the wall. He knew that it was Minhee’s work.
She didn’t paint people, she painted forest, lakes  with boats and things like that, or abstract trees and abstract flowers. Just once she painted a person. It was her friend’s son. She was eighteen when she made that portrait.
In this room two of her paintings were, those two belonged to her grandma, because she painted it for her.
 
“Wow, you are so talented,” Himchan said when Minhee coughed them staring at her work.
“Och, thanks again, but it took a long time for me to finish it,” she humbly told them everything.
Nine people sat down to the table and all of them stared at the amount of the food on the table.
“I hope you will like it,” Minhee said and smirked at Ran making her blush “ Ran made all side dishes except of the kimchi,”
Minsuk raised his eyebrow and said “ Really?”
Ran could understand what he tried to tell them “ Don’t worry, it’s fine, Minhee was looking after me, and I turned up well,”
 
People started eating and Youngjae was little scared about the silence, but luckily Zelo asked something “ Tell me something about you, about your family, you live with your halmeoni because?”
Yonguk kicked his leg under the table. He felt it was inappropriate to ask such things.
Minsuk was ok, with that so he answered “ When I was five and Minhee was eight they died in a accident. Luckily we were with our grandma here, “
Youngjae nodded and Minhee smiled “ We started living with halmeoni because of that, but we weren’t really familiar with this village. I started talking with Sumi, and things had gotten better,”
“Sumi? Who is Sumi?” asked Himchan and Ran answered “ Sumi is my sister, as Kwon Sumi,”
 
“Really, and why is she not with us?” Daehyun asked and it was the first question Minhee had got from him.
“We had some misunderstanding between us,” she said and Yonguk saw that she was really sad about it.
“But why? Everything can be resolved,” Youngjae remarked and Ran recalled “ It wasn’t just misunderstanding. There was something more, Sumi was hurt, she cried almost month after that day,”
Minhee nodded and Minsuk continued in sister’s place “ Minhee was the same, they were best friends for more than ten years, and everything was ruined because of that day, “
“Which day, what happened?” Himchan was really curious.
 
In the moment Minhee wanted to answer his question bell rang again and she stood up “ Sorry, I will open the door, it’s going to be Euntae!”
 
On her way to the front door, she remembered what happened that day. She remembered everything clearly.
 
Han Minhee and Kwon Sumi- 19 years old. 13th of august
 
“ Minhee you have letter!” Halmeoni cried from downstairs at me and I smiled. Finally, that day, when everything would be finally known.
It was nine in the morning so my brother was still lying in his bed and lazily turning around. I saw that because once again had left his door opened.
I jumped the last three stairs like it was something normal and stormed to the kitchen, where was my halmeoni.
 
“Be calm, be calm, open it,” she encouraged me and I stared at the white envelope and hesitated. No, I couldn’t.
I had one person that was waiting for me then. She had probably the same envelope in her hand right now.
I need to be with her.
“Sorry, I need to open it with Sumi,” I said and my grandma nodded “I was wondering why are you not running to her,”
But it was too late, I was in my slippers and in my pyjama running to Sumi’s home. From the moment we had turned 16, we had the same target. To go to the Seoul University. I wanted to teach math and biology and Sumi wanted to became translator. She was always great in English and in Japanese.
I was running when I saw my friend. She was standing few steps in front of me. I chuckled. She was also in slippers and pyjama and had envelope in her hand.
 
She jumped to me and smiled “ Hello!”
“Hello,” I smiled to her. My best friend in whole world. Sumi. We had our admission test together. But except for the two same subjects we had another two. I had Math and Biology and she had three languages.
I smiled at her, seeing her cheeky grin.
“On one, two, three!” we both screamed and we opened them at once.
My fingers were trembling as I rolled the paper and discovered the words written in bold.
Congratulation Miss Han Min Hee, you have been accepted to the Seoul university according to your test and to your results doing years in high-school.
I tried to suppress my squealing and glanced at Sumi.
 
She sobbed and turned that paper to me. We are sorry Miss Kwon Su Mi, you were on the 105 position on our list. You can sent us your countermand on address....
Sumi shook her head and said “Don’t worry, I can go to Hanyang University. They already sent me a letter. I knew it was going to be hard. On your occupancy 300 people are accepted. On mine just 100. It’s ok,”
I hugged her tightly trying to reassure her about everything. In the envelope, besides the final statement there were also their scores on different subjects.
Sumi glanced at her score Korean and Korean literature- 80%, Social studies(Psychology, basics of law)- 79%. English- 97%, Japanese-96%, Chinese- 96%.
“Och this people must be really great, what’s your score?” she asked me.
 
I glanced at my score and my eyeballs almost popped out “ Korean- 100%. Social studies- 100%. Math- 89%, Biology-97%,” I read.
I couldn’t believe my eyes. I had got everything right? I studied hard, but not so hard to get full points.
I glanced at Sumi again and her eyes were filled with tears. I wanted to hug her, but she pulled away and glanced at me the way she hadn’t before.
“Why?” she asked and took several steps from me.
“Wait, what why,”
 
“How could you? I heard that you did it, but I couldn’t take it seriously. I haven’t believed in anything. But I can see that they were right. I HATE YOU HAN MIN HEE!”
 
She ran away with this words and I was left there, alone, hurt and speechless.
 
“Hello, are we home?” Euntae’s voice woke her from her state and she apologised “ Sorry, I was just thinking,”
“Does it hurt your pretty head?” he asked taking his shoes down.
 
“Hyung!” Minsuk called from the end of the hall and ran to his friend. He learned a lot of things from Euntae. And most of them weren’t  important.  Just something like, how to make Minhee and Sumi rage, or how to say cheesy things to girls.
“Hello Minsukkie!” Euntae smiled at him and both siblings took him to the dining room.
Of course Ranni knew Euntae pretty good because he was also friend of her sister. When she saw him coming to the room, she stood up and ran to hug him.
“OPPAAA!” she screamed.
 
Euntae was really handsome. He had short black hair, now styled casually, but the point that made him so handsome was his unusual smile. When he smiled it was like new sun started shining in the room.
 
Ran knew that Sumi loved him from the moment they danced together in 3th grade. And she liked it.
“Rannie, I was going to come to your house too, It’s so nice to see you,” he said and let her go.
Somebody coughed and they realised that in the room there were people who didn’t know Euntae.
“Sorry, “Minhee apologised.
“This is Shin Eun Tae. He is my great friend and we used to go to school together,” she explained and boys nodded their heads and shook his hand.
“Kim Himchan, Bang Yonguk, Zelo, Jongup, Daehyun, Yoo Youngjae,” one by one shook his hand. When Bang held his hand, it was little too tight. He couldn’t help himself, he wanted to try him.
 
The rest of the night was fun and calm. They spent some time watching old photos of Minsuk and Minhee and telling fun stories. BAP also opened a little and although they didn’t say their true identities, they revealed that they are not normal officers.
When all of them left and Minsuk went to take Ran home, Minhee took a pill from small box. It was a sleeping pill, she wasn’t used to take them, but she knew that she needed to sleep.
She closed her eyes and smiled at the ceiling.
 

 

Minsuk took his girlfriend’s hand and chuckled. It was ten o’clock and they both waved at BAP and Euntae who left to other directions.
“What have you been doing those two hours you had spent  in your room? Spit it out!”
He giggled and answered “ Well, I was thinking about those names, they are somehow strange. It feels that all of them are somehow  connected with my sister,”
“But that means that they are connected with my sister too, you should look after Minhee better,”
“I should look after her better, you try persuade your sister about it, and try making her soften towards Minhee. Euntae hyung said that he is going to try it too, so help him,”
Ran chuckled and nodded.
 
She felt like being on the mission with some secret. Minsuk and Ranni both hoped that their sisters would make up somehow, because it just caused them problems, trying to go out like that, when Sumi and Minhee weren’t talking with each other at all.
“And what are we going to do next, have you told it to Bap?” asked Ran again and Minsuk chuckled for himself.
“Well, without my sister or anybody noticing, I passed a paper with names to Zelo. He is going to look it up for sure and let us know about what he will find, so don’t worry, everything will be fine,”
Ran nodded and tiptoed to give her boyfriend kiss on cheek, but it was not possible, because no matter how long her toes would be, he was still too tall for her.
 
“Will you bend a little Minsuk oppa?” she cutely asked and Minsuk turned red. He was happy that the street was dark, so his cheek colour wasn’t visible.
He bended and his girlfriend gave him a long kiss on his lips. Smiling to the kiss he heard the door opening behind him.
Couple turned around to see who opened the door. Sumi stood there with crossed arms on her chest and unreadable face she motioned something to her sister and angrily nodded at Minsuk.
Ran gave to her boyfriend short hug and whispered to his ear “ I know she is not looking like that, but she is happy that you have brought me here, and I didn’t go alone,”
Minsuk smiled and waved at both sisters who closed the door after themselves. He stood there few more minutes, to see how  light in Ran’s room.
 
She knew he will be waiting, so she opened the curtains and lovingly waved at him behind the glass.
That was finally the moment when boy was content with their goodbye and headed to his own home.
 

 

Minhee opened her eyes and glanced at the calendar on her desk. Finally, Saturday, she was free. She smiled at her clock, which showed 8:45, and that  was the latest she had woken up in several months.
Jumping from the bed, she yawned and went to open her curtains to bring more sunlight to the room. There was no noise coming from the  house, so she thought that her brother was still dreaming .
It was hot outside, so she took her shorts from the drawer and T-shirt with V-neck.
Somehow she had a really good mood that day. She wasn’t sure why, but she was really happy about everything that happened the day before.
Seeing all her close people together, she felt lightheaded.
 
She almost jumped downstairs and entered the kitchen thinking about what was she going to prepare to her brother for breakfast.
Refrigerator was empty and she face-palmed herself. Of course it was like that, the night before they ate everything what she had bought.
From the small room behind door she took her sneakers and wore them. She opened the door in belief to sense the morning breeze, flowers in bloom and grass.
On her own surprise she could sense something else.
 
She was biologist after all, so her senses were little bit more sensitive than others. The thing she could sense was blood.
Definitely.
 
In horrid state she  walked out and remembered all those incidents with chickens. It was always in the garden near hen-cote, so she turned around to go to look behind their house.
But she stopped.
From one side to another side of front wall of her house, there was a blood trace. It looked like someone was trying to write with blood as an ink but because it was already coagulated, it wasn’t so soluble.
 
Minhee stood there, not sure about how long. The thing that woke her up was Minsuk’s shadow that fell on her.
“Ya! Noona, what are you doing, you left the door opened, I could sense the wind inside?” he asked complaining.
When his sister just stood without any other reaction he scratched his head and went down to shook her up “Noona?!”
Minhee glanced at his face, her eyes wide opened and pointed forward. Minsuk looked the way she was pointing and he hissed in anger.
“What THE HELL?” he screamed and pushed his sister to the house. Minhee was still in shock and didn’t say a word. He pushed her till they reached sofa and he also sat her down.
 
Minsuk was all the way fully cursing and he ran to his room screaming in hope his sister will be able to understand everything “ Noona, I am going for hyungs ok? Till I come back, don’t go anywhere, ok?”
Quickly as lightning he dressed himself comfortably and ran from house.
It took him just 4 minutes to get to the police office and he wasn’t ever breathing hardly. He knocked on the door and in the same time rang the bell.
“Yeah, Coming!” voice from inside cried, but Minsuk didn’t stop knocking.
 
“What is it in this….” Jongup opened door and when he saw Minsuk’s face he immediately asked “What’s the problem?”
“I need your help hyungs,” Minsuk addressed to other guys who came to the hall to look who is the intruder “ You know, that thing, it happened to our house too,”
Yonguk was  the first who understood him and immediately started putting his boots.
Youngjae just asked “ Minhee?”
“She is fine, but we need to do something with that, by the way, do you have the colour you used for
this house?” Minsuk asked and Zelo nodded running to other room to take the can with colour.
In less than 2 minutes they were following Minsuk to his home with everything they needed.
Himchan was cursing on his way, he knew something was going to happen to them too, but he hoped it would take longer and camera systems they had ordered would be already installed.
 
Worse was that it happened under their nose, maybe few hours after they left their house.
 
 

Hello:D So my first chapter with new AFF:D I hope you will like it....The summer is hot, and I finally ended at work, so I can post some here.

I am pretty affraid, because it lookes like I am not going to have dorm for next semester, and I will have to commute every day...

I don't want to...:-(

But anyway, To let you know how is Euntae looking...

Actor Kim Jae Woon:D his smile is so handsome:D