7

The Chicken Case

7.

“Is your sister feeding a bunch of bears or something? Why is there so many food?” Ran asked as she was holding three big boxes full of food. Minsuk’s face was covered with them, he had five boxes.
Minsuk called Ran sooner that morning, because when he saw how much his sister cooked, he was sure that the walk to the station would be longer.
“I’ll tell you later, aish, my arms hurt from Himchan-hyung’s exercising,”  he growled and with panting placed the boxes down.
 
He knocked on the door lightly and Daehyun stood there surprised with the amount of food “ Hello, Come in,” he said and took the boxes from Ran’s hands.
“We are not going in, but I want to have a small talk with Yonguk-hyung,”  Daehyun wanted to cry for his hyung but immediately realized that he stood five and half step behind him.
Minsuk was surprised that he hadn’t called him as he wanted and he was able to notice Bang just when he held the door and went out.
 
Ran blinked several times “How did you? “ from the point of view of a normal human she didn’t see him coming, so it was almost like if he materialised from nothing.
 
“Hyung,” Minsuk bowed to him “ Noona talked with me yesterday and told me what happened. Thank you for coming to rescue her,” Bang raised his eyebrow.
Rescue her? He had never rescued her, he just took care of her after she was ambushed. But he just smiled and said “ Don’t worry, that’s why there is police,”
“May I ask you a question hyung?” Minsuk curiously glanced at Bang. “You may, of course,”
 
“Where are you from? You are not the normal police right?” Zelo came closer to the door and smiled at Minsuk. That boy was better in observing that half of the people.
“No we are not,” Zelo answered on Bang’s place and smiled profoundly.
“That what are you?” Ran was the one asking then. Youngjae came closer because he  heard their conversation.
“We are the BAP,” he said and Minsuk rolled his eyes “ And what does it mean? You didn’t help me at all,”
That was the first time all of them glanced at each other with  the same question considering their official name. How was it possible that they really never thought about he reason behind their name.
 
“We don’t really know,” Jongup said already stuffing some meat to his mouth “But you and your pretty girlfriend can come up with something for sure,” he said and with those words he left the place.
Ran clapped and jumped in happiness making all BAP guys giggle. She was so happy-go-lucky and cute that all of them understood why she was Minsuk’s girlfriend.
 
“Thank you hyungs, now she is not going to look at me through all classes because she will be trying to figure out the name for you,” he sighed and Yonguk chuckled.
Although there was no evident similarity in the way Minhee and Minsuk looked, he just realised that the way both of them talked was pretty the same.
Daehyun came back with another food I the small bowl and happily chewed “ By the way, Minsukkie, today you will be training with me so, eat a lot,”
 
Something made Minsuk wonder, why he should be eating a lot when his old teachers always told him to not eat before the practice, because his stomach can’t be full.
With those words the door behind two teens closed and the BAP, who’se name was not confirmed yet looked at each other, and everyone headed his own way.
As Yonguk was again all alone, he looked at his screen and wondered about what could Minhee tell her brother, because from the things he thanked him, it looked that she hadn’t told him the whole truth.
 

 
In Minsuk’s class there was a boy who liked Ran more than it was convenient for him as  a good boyfriend. This guy’s name was Junho and he was pretty well known around the school. Minsuk was known because of his character and running skills, while Junho was appreciated with his school results,  he had a black belt in taekwondo, went to the library every Friday and lot of girls liked him for his voice, which was pretty awesome.
 
Minsuk was usually just playing the part of the boyfriend “who didn’t really care” but it wasn’t the truth. Because even before the time when Minsuk and Ran became to go out together, everybody thought that she kind of Had to be with Junho. But after Minsuk and Ran started going out the situation just worsened. First week everybody questioned Ran if the guy she got together was the right one. She and Junho were the privileged people from school and it always happened that seniors that were the best from classes kind of hooked up together.
 
When Minhee was studying Sumi, Ran’s sister was told to be the one and she was supposed to go out with boy from other class. But they never hooked up, because Sumi’s heart belonged to someone else.
 
That day Junho was again studying in library and he caught a glance of Ran who just walked in. Her long hair was in waves that day and in whole room there wasn’t anybody who wouldn’t look at her with dreamy eyes.
Junho stood up and like there was nobody else approached Ran “Hi, are you going to study? Do you want to join me?”
Ran turned to him and smiled “Sorry, today I will not be studying I am waiting for my boyfriend we want to check something in the books,”
Junho frowned, he couldn’t accept that he lost to a guy like Minsuk and bitterly hissed “Really,“
 
“Miss Kwon, where are you?” Minsuk’s voice echoed as he opened the door to the library.
“Here!” his happy girlfriend raised her hand and after Minsuk saw the one she was talking with in three steps he was holding her waist.
“What are we looking for?” Ran asked and Minsuk just nodded his head to Junho and said “We have to start from the top,"
“Right, you need to tell me what happened to your sister,” Ran jumped to the table and sat on it. Minsuk sat just that way he was facing her and Junho that slimy guy sat down too.
 
“First of all, yesterday evening Minhee came home with Yonguk hyung and she had lot of scratches. I asked her what happened and she said that some guys wanted to rob her, but it was without effect and that Yonguk came and they ran away,”
Ran placed her hand on and squealed “Poor unnie, so that’s why she packed so much food for them,”
Minsuk nodded and grabbed her hand reassuringly “Don’t worry, she is fine, she was just shaken up. But surely she haven’t told me everything, I know it. From the way she took a day shift today and not the night one it means it was worse than what she told me,”
 
“And what are we doing here?”
“You know those chicken things?” Ran nodded and Junho became more curious about the matter than before “ Well, from what I know the same thing happened three times. And it was really strange. One time with you, one time in Changjo’s home and one with Minnie’s home, my sister got to know it through her cousin  in kindergarten,”
“What kind of chicken thing?” Junho asked and Minsuk ignored his question completely.
“Well, one chicken was found dead but in really interesting condition,” Ran gulped down as she answered his question “There was a trace of blood on the floor, and we don’t think it was an animal,”
 
Junho’s eyes widened “It happened in our home too,”
“What?” this time Minsuk was fully interested in anything he said.
“Yeah, my sister found it, “ Junho had noona too “ but we thought it was an animal,”
“And when?”
“Two weeks ago maybe?” said Junho and Minsuk looked at Ran “ We need to find out what chicken means,”
Junho burst to laugh and Minsuk gave him a deadly glare “Is there something funny?”
 
“You can’t be serious? Chicken? Is just a domestic bird,” Junho was laughing hardly and this time Ran turned to him with angry gaze “ No, other cultures can see it like their symbol, we can’t think about it so lightly, because it is not a light thing at all,”
Junho shut his mouth and  gazed at Minsuk who had to hide his smirk. Indeed it was his girlfriend, Junho couldn’t really think that Ran would take his side.
“In that case, you might need my help,” Junho pronounced and Ran surprised looked at him “After all I spent in this library most of the time, and I know almost every corner,”
“And can’t we find it on internet?” Ran asked Minsuk and he smiled and patted her head lovingly.
 
“Of course we can, and I already did some digging, but there is just the name of the book, which contains bigger details,” he took a paper from his backpack and on it was at least 20 tittles of the books.
“In that case,” Junho ripped the paper from Minsuk’s hand and looked at it for a moment “ Come with me,”
As he stood up and walked in one direction Ran flashed Minsuk a smile and he hissed “ Nerdy bastard!”
 

 

BAP was sitting and eating the food Minhee packed for them and Zelo was smiling happily like a child.
“Why are you grinning Zelo?” Yonguk asked younger boy who chuckled “ You see, Minhee is probably looking up to you,” he pointed on one box especially prepared for his hyung and with a thanks on the cover.
“She is just thankful, although I don’t know what for,” Yonguk said and scratched his head.
 
“Seriously, Bang, sometimes I think you are slow like a turtle,” Himchan pronounced as he stuffed his cheek with three carrots at once “ She is thankful because you got to her on time and made her feel better. You are like a knight in the shining armour for her, how can’t she be thankful. I would be too,”
Yonguk thought a little and smiled.
Maybe they were right.
 
“Hyung, you should take the opportunity and have fun with her,” Jongup said and Yonguk hardly slapped his head from behind “ Minhee isn’t a girl for fun,”
  Youngjae teased the older man “ Wow, feisty,”
“Seriously guys, girls from this city are prohibited. Those girls are usually innocent and kind, not those we can’t get every day,”
“You are right hyung,” Daehyun nodded  and Yonguk was suddenly happy for his presence “But you have to admit that she is getting to you,”
“Maybe, she is kind and pretty,” the oldest member of BAP admitted and continued chewing his food.
 
“But now, hyungs what do you  think about that matter Minsuk talked about?”
“Don’t know, but it’s not normal, that is truth, but chicken is chicken, and when they said that there was no evindence of the burglary, or something else, I don’t know if we can do something else,” Youngjae said and it that moment someone knocked on the door.
“I’ll get it,” Himchan said and walked to the door.
 
Minhee was there, the scratches on her chin were covered with make up and she smiled “ Hello, I am sorry,Am I disturbing you?”
Himchan smiled and said “ No, we were just eating our lunch, want to go in?”
“No thank you,” Minhee smiled and took something from her handbag, it was that small sketchbook she got from them yesterday.
“I tried to remember it, and today I noticed that Minsuk have forgotten to take it to you,” she handed him it and said “ I hope I can help you like this,” she bowed calmly “ I am going home, Bye,”
“Look after yourself, please,” Himchan called after her and closed the door.
 
When he returned to the kitchen, where all BAP members were sitting and eating nobody asked who came. Those people were trained in the way, that simple scent was enough to know who was that person.
Himchan opened the sketchbook and hissed in awe “ Wow, she is great,”
“What?” Youngjae was curious too and stood up to see what was so fantastic that it made his hyung say those words.
“She draw that?” Youngjae pointed on the sketch and continued “ This is not even a drawing, but a photo,” Zelo was curious as well and took the sketchbook from his hyung.
 
“Minhee has a photographic memory,” Yonguk calmly answered not even surprised with that picture. He knew from the moment she walked in a lot of things. He saw how her middle finger on right hand had a slight bump in the end.
People who wrote a lot, or draw  a lot used to have it like that, and the moment she was able to remember all the names of them on one shot, he knew that she had the photographic memory.
Jongup just shook his head and asked Himchan “ What about her state, is she ok?”
“Well, I am not a doctor, but from what I could see, she can manage. Although her hands are shaking and she is still confused little bit. But she’ll be fine,”
Zelo was still observing the drawing and his mind was caught with something.
 
Picture Minhee drawn for them was stuck in her memory for a long time. She draw more than just one picture but that one was like the most important.
When one of the men beat her and he stopped for a moment, she unconsciously remembered the part of the skin that wasn’t covered with kerchief. In the crook of his neck, there was a tattoo. Two words, in Mandarin, but unluckily, she was able to see just a part of it saying “ Moon,”
“This can help us a lot,” Jongup said and smiled “There are not so many tattoo saloons in this town, right? An because this city is more than just conservative, it is normal that just few people are going to be tattoed,”
 
“Yeah, but somehow, I don’t think that this kind of tattoo is going to be draw for you in city like this,” Youngjae muttered and Yonguk nodded “ Yeah, but it’s better than nothing, at least we are going to be cautious about people with tattoos, right?”
Everybody turned their attention on Himchan and waited for his instructions. After all he was the one who was supposed to lead them. Himchan scratched his head and thought a little. There has to be someone who was going to have a lesson with  Minsuk that day, it was Daehyun’s turn and that’s why he said that it would be for best if Jongup and Zelo went.
“Zelo, Jongup, you two go,” he said after all and both friends smiled at each other and stood up.
 

 

After Junho helped them to find the right books, he had to go home. So the reading was just for Minsuk and Ran. But because we all know what kind of book-lover is Minsuk, Ran had to get through them alone.
 
She sighed as she saw her boyfriend resting on the table with his head on his arm and opened book under his nose.
“Seriously, sometimes I think you have some kind of mental disease, when it comes to the books,” Ran mumbled and opened the fifteenth book. It was really interesting like almost every single animal meant something bigger and there was like a chapter about them in the book, but there was no information about chicken. Always explained just as a domestic animal that gives eggs for owners.
The light was being dimmed in the room, because the librarian came in saying she is going to close soon.
 
Ran patted Minsuk’s head waking him up “ Minsuk, wake up, we need to go,”
Her boyfriend opened his sleepy eyes and glanced at her with immediate question “ Did you find something?”
Ran just shook her head and showed him the 5 books that just needed to be read “This is what remains,”
“Wait, I am going to check one more,” Minsuk said and opened the nearest book. He travelled through the register with his eyes and smiled “ Page 235,”
 
Ran was already packing her backpack with other books looking at him sceptically, while he was still sitting and reading the page.
“Chicken is a prideful animal, although people use it especially for nutrition, it’s an animal with really old roots on earth. Chicken is the symbol of the pride and intelligent people, who already gained something,” Minsuk read and Ran squealed “ That’s not fair,” she pouted “You just looked at it and you found it, and I have been reading it for two hours, that’s not fare,”
 
Minsuk smiled and stood up. He embraced his girlfriend and whispered to her ear “ You know, I am a lucky guy and I know where to look at,”
Ran shook her head in his embrace and snuggled “ You make me angry and unhappy, but I don’t know why I keep being with you,”
Minsuk let her go and looked at her eyes closely “Because, you like me,”
“Why are you so certain,” she pouted again and Minsuk leaned to her and pecked her lips quickly “Because I know you,”
She creased her face and turned her back on him “ This is so not fair,”
 
Minsuk chuckled again, grabbed his and her backpack and her hand and said “ Fine, come I will walk you home, I have to go to hyungs, today I have lesson with Daehyun hyung,”
“Fine,” Ran said and let him pull her from the school.
 

Hi children:D How were you????????????

this is the Mandarin character for Moon:D