10th Mission - Mother

Ghost Mission
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Hey, bring out the blanket, will ya? We have spring cleaning to do, remember?" Chanyeol was struggling with an armful of Rilakkuma plushies and pillows when he saw Kris lying down on the low wooden platform spread like a starfish as if he was trying to all the goodness from the sun. Chanyeol looked up to see an airplane passing by above them in such glorious manner, giving him insight of how powerful Kris was when he ruled the sky in his bird.

"I miss flying though. I can't stop thinking about how good it was to fly on my Fei Long whenever I saw those big bird flying over my head." He spread his fingers and raised it to the sky. It was too far for him now unlike the old days. Looking at the straight line of cloud in the sky above him, it gave him a heavy feeling in his heart. He felt a dull pain in his leg, faintly reminding him of the tragedy happened three years ago.

 

 

Fei Long was the fighter jet that he used to fly during his service. He was the best and youngest pilot to train under the harshest condition in the US Air Force. After two years of training, he was given the authority to fly Fei Long, the fastest and latest fighter jet in the Air Force equipped with AI technology. It raised a lot of concern about using AI to give command to Fei Long's system since it was not stable enough and needed more test to make it work perfectly.

Talking to Fei Long was his routine to increase its ability in receiving command in different situations and circumstances. The first time it showed a flaw, he almost crashed in the woods but he quickly pulled himself together and drove it close to the canopy as he reset the system to manual. He went up to 30,000 feets above the ground in no time with heart pumping like hell.

The second time, the jet almost drove him into the ocean during the air show. He tried to listen to Fei Long's command about another jet going fast into their vector but the signal went wild and his command could not go through Fei Long's system. He was able to escape the disaster with less than enough gas to go back to the Admiral. It was one hell of a show for Air Force Day.

The third time was the last time he flew Fei Long before the accident almost took his life. It was just like any other day where he brought Fei Long for training, except it was in the middle of the war. After ten minutes leaving the base, he received a warning from Fei Long about an incoming missile. He managed to lead it far from the village and the base but it was a second too late, the missile hit him before he knew it.

The crash sent him into a coma for months and he woke up in the military hospital in Germany. He never thought he would be left aside by the forces to be called a veteran at the age of eighteen. Kris was discreetly discharged with nowhere to go but a Kim Junmyeon stopped him on his way out of the hospital on the wheelchair and proposed to him (literally) to bring him to South Korea to be an agent for the secret service and of course, a high-end rehabilitation treatment for free.

 

 

Kris let out a big sigh as he remembered how Colonel Kim held his hand firmly to assure him his injury would not stop him from working in the field but flying a jet? It would take a while to get rid of his trauma. Luckily he has Chanyeol to help him with it. With his injuries from the plane crash, the training for the secret service was hard but Chanyeol was always there for him to deal with the pain. He had nothing to lose until Chanyeol came into his life giving him hope to live for another day. He turned around to the sound of the door creaking and found Chanyeol with another round of laundry in his arms.

"Well, you better get all the blankets out before I send you flying all the way to Japan." Kris was struggling to get up when Chanyeol stepped closer to him with a grabby hand ready to pinch him but he managed to escape with a laugh.

 

"What the fu-" Kris dropped all the blankets on the patio before he ran back into the house while Chanyeol was ready with his gun right in Minseok's face but the man raised his hands as a sign he did not come to harm them.

"Offering?" Kris's tall figure stopped a few feets away from the older man with hands holding a jar of wine. He extended his arms and Minseok accepted it with a huge smile enough to brighten the whole city at night. Both of them sighed in relief that Minseok loved the offering. Chanyeol left to get a cup and ladle for their fellow Order while Kris cautiously staring at the older man just in case he suddenly changed his mind and wanted to get Sehun instead.

"How are you doing? Still having problem with your leg?" Kris startled and shook his head to answer Minseok's question. He was not a meek person but Minseok's presence was too overwhelming making it difficult for him to sit comfortably while being cautious.

"Cap- I mean, hyung. I know you didn't come here to exchange greetings. You have something-" Kris almost jumped out of his skin when Chanyeol touched his shoulder to hand him a cup and handed another to Minseok.

"Perhaps, you can tell us what you want?" Chanyeol took a seat next to Kris and the other guy smiled as he sipped on the wine.

"Plum wine. It's been a long time since I had this. It tastes really good, Chanyeol-ah." Minseok hummed at the rich taste of the wine and he chose to forget what he was going to do to the former decorated Orders. The wine did help calming down his adrenaline, and stop his hand from reaching for his gun.

"I wish I could put you in The Solitary, Kris, but this time, I won't. I know why you guys left. I tried to escape once but Suho caught me. Instead of punishing me, he put me in charge of The Solitary. I've done so much torture that I wouldn't want to go through it. You're not special, Kris. You're not the only one Colonel never sent to The Solitary." Chanyeol flinched at the mention of the torture room and turned his head away from looking at The Executioner himself. He was his worst nightmare in military disciplinary confine. 

One week of pure torture. All kinds of torture method that can be found in the book - you name it. Chanyeol had gone through it all except one, the White Room. The only one who had ever received it was Sehun. White Room was the last torture one will receive after everything. He always thought being electrocuted while caged in the water bath was the worst but Sehun's torture exceeded one week than it normally would and he was put in the White Room for a week after ten days in The Solitary. Everyone was surprised he came back alive and sanity still in tact. Sehun was one tough nut to break. When asked, Sehun will shake his head and keep his silence.

"Are you going to tell him?" Kris asked, with a hand holding Minseok's wrist on his way to take another cup of wine. He quickly pulled his hand before Minseok slapped it and one hit from him might cost his arm.

"Depends on how you behave. Sehun's been sloppy these days and you, Chanyeol. Stop torching people. I don't like the charred smell. It makes me hungry." Minseok turned the cup upside down on the patio after he finished, took the jar of wine and left without saying goodbye. Both of the boys who were tense during the whole surprise visit finally let their guard down and settled on the patio to calm their racing heart.

"That was the first!" Chanyeol wiped the sweat from his forehead and fanned himself with his hand. Having Captain Kim to sit together with them doing nothing was another level of depression. The other man could have done something to teach them a lesson but he chose not to because of the plum wine.

"B-but our wine..." Kris slapped his forehead and pressed the reddened skin at Chanyeol's shoulder. That was the first batch of wine Chanyeol made once they found a place to lay low after the escape. The jar Minseok took was the last from that batch, so good and extremely strong, enough to put him to sleep for days.

"It's okay. I'll make a new one for us. A better one." Chanyeol patted Kris's head and watched as the wind blew gently at their clean linen.

 

 

He never knew there would come a day he would look for his mother. The letter his mothe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter