six

Nothing Better Than You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MINAH

 

"Minah, go get table 5's order. After that, bring the dishes to table 2 immediately. They've been complaining about the food taking so long when it's only been 8 minutes since they ordered. Chop chop!" my boss said quickly before turning to take table 6's order.

 

As usual, the restaurant was packed with people during early rush hours. I haven't been able to take a break once I changed into my work uniform, which was the usual white blouse with the star logo, black leggings, and the red headband wrapped around my hair. Every morning, the only thing I look forward to is going home or taking a stroll at the beach, feeling the nice ocean breeze. I sighed in distress as I hurried over to table 5, putting on my fake, bright smile on my face.

 

"How may I help you customer?" I asked in my extremely friendly voice. You would've been surprised by the way I sounded; definitely a whole different side to me.

 

The customer looked up from the menu and the devilish smile that has taunted me recently was glaring at me. My fake smile has turned upside down. 

 

"What are you doing here?" I crossed my arms in disgust.

 

"Is that how you talk to a customer, Miss Minah ssi?" Kai asked in a clear, loud voice; his eyes staring at my boss. I turned to that direction, seeing my boss has glared at me and his eyes widening, which only meant one thing, to simply apologize to the customer and be more friendly. Yeah right. To this kind of “customer”, no way. 

 

“Well?” This time Kai crossed his arms, the same way that I have done.

 

My boss started making his way towards my direction and patted my shoulder. “Minah, aren’t you going to say something?” That obvious hint in his tone told me to apologize or I’m fired. I sighed with my eyes closed.

 

“I’m sorry customer for being so rude,” I said plainly.

 

“That's the spirit," my boss says before heading to the kitchen. Even when he keeps repeating, "the customer is always right," can't the worker be right for once? How many times do I have to humiliate myself in front of Kai? Every time... seriously.

 

"That's what I thought," he smirked. I clenched my fist, ready to throw a punch at him, but I held it in and said, "Now tell me what you're really doing here. How do you know I worked here?"

 

"I followed you."

 

"You WHAT?!" 

 

"Keep your voice down, you don't want your boss coming after you again do you?" He leaned his back against the back of the chair comfortably. In fact he was leaning too comfortably. If I punched him in the stomach, will he still feel comfortable? I want to test that out, but couldn't. Is he really using my boss to tease me? I would like to know where he worked... of course he probably didn't have to because he was just those typical rich kids.

 

"Why did you follow me?"

 

"Did you really think I'll let you go after what you did this morning?"

 

"You deserved it."

 

"Then you deserve this too."

 

"You're such a pain in the ."

 

"Ooh, you're using foul language on a customer again. Ouch."

 

"Hurry up and order, then leave. There's a lot more valuable customers waiting to be seated." I pointed at the line of people standing behind the doors. He shrugged and took his time ordering, which to me seemed like the whole day. I sighed here and there when he kept changing his orders. I must really be his favorite toy. I finally took his completed order to the kitchen and came back to his table with a cappuccino. I wanted to spit in it, but my boss has been keeping his eye on me ever since I took Kai's order. 

 

As I was about to head back into the kitchen, Kai stops me and says, "Miss Minah ssi, can you please get me a glass of water?"

 

"Why do you need a glass of water if I just gave you your cappuccino?" 

 

"Why not?"

 

"Are you kidding me right now?"

 

"What's wrong with drinking coffee and water at the same time? It's the customer's order. Shouldn't you be doing anything the customer wants?" 

 

"Sure, I should. Only to a worthy customer. And you? Not so much. Sorry." 

 

"I guess you wouldn't mind if I called your boss over right? In fact, he's walking towards this direction. Manag—"

 

I cupped my hand over his mouth before he could call my boss over. His eyes widened in surprise by my sudden action. 

 

"Don't put your hand on my mouth," he says as he slapped my hand away from him. I smirked. 

 

"You're afraid of cooties?" I baby-talked to him.

 

"I just don't want your dirty hands on my precious face, okay? Just go get my water." His hand flapped back and forth, shooing me away.

 

I rolled my eyes and went to get a glass of water. After that, I brought out the rest of Kai's orders. Not because I liked it, but because he kept eyeing my boss, threatening me. 

 

* * * * *

 

It's been almost an hour and a half since he finished his meals. He's still here. I was in the kitchen, gathering up the rest of table 1's orders. As I waited, I eyed him from the little kitchen window. He was plainly staring at his phone, but he didn't seem happy. In fact, he seemed quite sad. That's something new I've never seen from Kai. He was always annoying and disturbing, but right now, he actually seems normal; a different side to him I never imagined someone like him would be.

 

I continued to look at his direction until the cook called my name, "Minah, table 1's order is done!" 

 

I turned around, completely forgetting what I was doing here, and placed the orders in the cart. 

 

"I saw you staring at that boy," the cook, Maria, told me. Maria was like another mother to me, except she was American, not Korean. She was kind, nice, and cheered me up when I was stressed, knowing how hard I've been working. She knows me well, more than I know myself.

 

I laughed it off, "It's nothing really. I'm not a stalker."

 

Maria chuckled. "I didn't mean it like that. Do you know him?"

 

"Yes? No... Kind of? I only met him yesterday and he's been on my nerves."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter