ten

Nothing Better Than You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MINAH

 

I stared at those words that was on the screen. My heart accelerated, wondering what those words implied. Did he want it to be a date? Do I want it to be a date? My phone vibrated again and it was from Kai.

 

Anyways, good night. You should get to sleep now.

 

I was thankful for him saying that because I really didn’t know how to reply to his previous text message. I replied: Good night. See you tomorrow.

 

I placed my phone back down and attempted to fall asleep again.

 

*****

 

I stared at the clock hanging on the wall. It was already 9:30AM! I sprung out of bed and ran to the bathroom across the hall. I’m going to be late!

 

After brushing my teeth and washing my face, I zoomed back to my room and opened my closet widely. What should I wear? I didn’t have anything good!

 

I immediately reached for my phone and called Hyeri.

 

When she picked up, she yawned and said, “Yah… do you know what time is it? Why are you calling me so early?”

 

“Sorry, but it’s an emergency. What should I wear today?”

 

“Why? Are you going somewhere?”

 

“It’s not a big deal. Just going somewhere with Kai.”

 

“OOOH. It seems like a big deal to me. Is this a date?” I can hear her laughing on the other end.

 

“NO. It’s just two friends going somewhere. Can you please tell me what to wear? It’s kind of an emergency,” I said, rummaging through the racks of clothes I owned. There was only 20 minutes left.

 

“Wear something casual. Like you’re not putting too much effort, ya know? You don’t want Kai to think you purposely dollied yourself up,” she explains, “Maybe like a tee shirt and some shorts? Ah, I know.” I heard her snap her fingers. She continues to say, “The sky is bright today. Blue is the color.”

 

“Thanks Hyeri. You’re the best!” I exclaimed as I grabbed the clothes she told me to wear.

 

“No problem. Have fun on your date!!” Hyeri sang before she hung up. My lips curled up in a small smile. Date. A word that I never thought would appear in my life.

 

I wore a blue v-neck tee shirt tucked into blue denim shorts. I curled the tips of my hair and blew my bangs out of the way. When I looked at myself in the mirror I thought, this was casual enough, right?

 

To finish things off, I added some mascara and eyeliner to make my eyes bolder. Then, I carefully put a nice baby pink color lipstick on my lips, making sure that the lipstick did not go all over my mouth. I smacked my lips together to make sure the lipstick was perfect.

 

When I was finished, I heard the doorbell ring.

 

I looked at the clock. 10AM, just on time. I grabbed my sunglasses, my purse, my keys and my phone. I quickly wore my white Converse sneakers and headed towards the door. I checked the peephole and saw Kai standing outside. With a deep breath, I reached out for the doorknob and twisted it open.

 

When I opened the door, Kai was already smiling down at me. He looked gorgeous with just a fitted tee shirt and skinny jeans.  

 

“You look pretty. Did you make yourself pretty for me?” He smirked. I noticed we were back to teasing as if nothing happened yesterday. To be honest, I was a little disappointed, but also relieved that we could talk comfortably without awkwardness again.

 

“Nope, you wish. I was trying to impress another guy,” I teased back, sticking my tongue out at him.

 

He pouted, making those cute round puppy eyes at me. “You didn’t want to look pretty for me? I made myself look handsome for you.”

 

“Really?” I observed him from head to toe. “‘Cause I don’t see a difference,” I lied. In fact, he always looked handsome. I slightly blushed.

 

Kai gasped, clearly offended. “Tch, I don’t know if I want to go with you anymore.” He folded his arms across his chest.

 

I huffed, “Fine, I don’t think I want to go either.” As a joke, I turned around, about to go inside my house again…

 

...until Kai grabs my wrists and pulls me back. I frowned, still pretending to be mad. “I was just kidding,” he tells me, looking sincerely apologetic. He was being serious this time. “I still want to go with you.”

 

I smiled,  fine I’ll let you win this time. It’s not hard when you’re looking so cute. “I would love to go with you as well.”

 

He smiles at me, glad that we finally settled on our differences. He politely opened the passenger door to his red Jeep, parked outside my house, and made a hand gesture telling me to get in. I smiled and got in like he gestured.

 

When he got in the driver’s seat, he leaned to the right, to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter