seventeen

Nothing Better Than You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MINAH

“Minah, can you sweep the floors and close up the bakery today? I have to take your grandmother to the doctor,” my mother asked as she hung her apron up and put her coat on. My grandmother was already ready as she laid back on the couch we had recently added.

 

I stared back at the clock hanging behind the counter. “But it is only 4:30pm. The bakery doesn’t close until 8:00pm. I could call Hyeri to come over even though she has a day-off today.”

 

My mother shook her head no and turned the open sign on the door to closed. “Don’t bother her. She should enjoy her day-off with her boyfriend. Speaking of boyfriend, you should go meet up with Kai once you finish cleaning up. You guys haven’t seen each other in forever! Don’t let the young love die.”

 

“Omma! Stop exaggerating!” I flushed in embarrassment from my mother’s cheesy words while my grandmother, on the other hand, snickered.

 

“Alright, alright. We better get going so that we won’t miss our appointment. Don’t forget to lock the doors sweetie!”

 

“Okay~ will do! Be careful!”

 

Once both of them left, I sighed and took the broom leaning against the closet and swept the floors. I couldn’t help but think about what my mother has said about Kai. It hasn’t been that long… has it? The last time I saw him was at the ballroom dance and for the rest of the week, I haven’t been able to see him because of my busy, hectic work schedule. Is he not going to like me anymore? I shook my head to erase those awful thoughts. But what would I know? I was still a newbie to dating. I had a lot of things to be insecure about. I sighed.

 

I quickly cleaned up the store and flung myself to the couch, relieving my tense muscles. I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and immediately opened up my messages to Kai.

 

“What are you doing?” I texted him while smiling like a goofball.

 

Immediately after what seemed to be ten seconds, my phone vibrated, notifying me about incoming messages.

 

“I’ve only been doing one thing the whole time we haven’t seen each other. Can you guess?”

 

I bit my lower lip before typing, “Hm… Lying on your bed, playing video games, … other stuff that guys do?”

 

“Eyy… That’s not what all guys do... At least not all the time. Try again. I’ll give you a hint. It has something to do with you.”

 

“Me? I give up. Tell me!”

 

“You know. The usual. Thinking about you and how much I want to hold you in my arms and… should I continue or stop?”

 

“Ya!!” I felt my cheeks burn in fire from embarrassment. But I couldn’t lie. I wanted to be in Kai’s warm arms and have him rub my back with his soft hands. I miss his sweet kisses and his minty, fresh scent instead of the heavy cologne other guys wear. I also miss his soft touches and the way he looks at me even though I always end up looking away because I would blush.

 

“Are you blushing right now? 😪”

 

Omo. How did he know? I looked outside the windows because of my paranoid self, but there was no sign of Kai.

 

“No, why would you think that? kekeke… Anyways, I’m closing the bakery early so should I meet you at your house today? You have no idea how much I miss you these past few days. 😣”

 

I was expecting Kai to tease me for missing him so much but instead he replied, “I miss you so much more than you think… but no, I’m not home.”

 

My eyebrows scrunched in confusion, “Oh. Then where are you? I’ll meet you wherever you are at.”

 

“I’m afraid we won’t be able to meet today.” A weird feeling washed over as I read that text.

 

“Oh.” Well that reply was a mood killer. I sighed in disappointment. That one time I actually have some spare time, yet I couldn’t enjoy it because it would just be another day of not being able to see my boyfriend’s face. “Then maybe I could ask Hyeri to take over my shift so I could meet with you tomorrow? 😂”

 

“Minah. I might not be able to meet with you… for a long time.” My hopes automatically disappeared. My insecurities immediately rushed back. Did he not like me anymore? Did he move on from me? Kai got tired of me, didn’t he?

 

“What do you mean? Does this have something to do with me? How long is a long time?” I replied nervously.

 

“It’s … complicated. Don’t worry Minah, it has nothing to do with you. And it’ll be a very, very long time...”

 

I started to worry about what Kai said. A very, very long time? As in weeks, months… he couldn’t have meant years right…? My heart dropped from the sudden thought. Oh no.

 

My fingers fumbled on the touch screen as I tried to call Kai. My heart was beating in an irregular pattern and cold sweat was forming on my forehead. “Answer! Answer! Answer!” I demanded in my head. After three rings, he did pick up.

 

“Minah…” he softly began to say in a melancholic tone. What happened to all the jokes and teasing? I didn’t like where this was going. I could already predict the worst that was about to happen.

 

“W-what do you mean you won’t be seeing me for a very, very long time?” I mumbled quickly.

 

“Minah, calm down,” he said. I couldn’t even function after hearing him say my name not once, but twice. I felt like I was going to break down.

 

“Are you breaking up with me…?” I asked more calmly.

 

“What?! No, of course not. Why would I?”

 

“Okay, good.” I was panicking for nothing. I laughed it off.

 

“But I still won’t be able to see you for a long time,” he said slowly. “And I didn’t want this to happen, but I feel like what I am doing right now would make you want to break up with me.”

 

I was puzzled. “What are you talking about?” I asked.

 

“Remember that night when we went ballroom dancing? You promised me that if I’m not with you, you will only think of me no matter what. I hope you will keep that promise and whatever happens that you’ll wait for me.”

 

“Are you okay Kai?” I was starting to bite my nails. Why was he suddenly bringing this up? I thought he was just joking, but it turned out that he wasn’t. My heart began to beat hard again.

 

“I just want you to know Minah that I love you and will always love you. But also that I’m sorry.” Then he hung up. That was the third time he said my name, but this time he said it in a sorrowful way. I blanked out for a second. I still had no idea what just happened and I didn’t know how to act to this sudden conversation. Hearing the way Kai spoke was scary and made my heart feel like breaking. I wanted to know what was going on with him, but he was shutting me out. If someone knew what was going on with Kai, it had to be D.O.

 

I dialled his number quickly and waited for him to answer.

 

When he picked up, I panicked and my voice quivered, “D.O. I need your help.”

 

“Yeah, of course. Is everything okay?” he replied. I wanted to say yes and that ever

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter