New Expression

Tangled in Love

I'm the first one to speak. "Hey, you never told me that you’re a model!" I exclaim.

Kris' face is indifferent. "That's because you never asked..." comes his inaudible reply.

With a chortle, I pick out the phone in my pocket, and then give it to him. "Here," I say, with a smile. "I can't believe you're really a model, though."

This makes him bend a brow, while quietly thanking me for the device. "Why?" he questions, in scrutiny.

"Oh no, I'm not saying that you're not fit for the job—if more than anything, I think you're perfect!" I quickly convince. "It's just that before I knew your name, I was just referring to you as 'Mr. Model' in my head, and well...you turning out to really be a model, is kind of funny, isn't it?"

And even though this is a rhetorical question, Kris still doesn't even pretend that he's the slightest bit amused by my joke.

Chanyeol blinks a little, continuing to look surprised by our interaction. "So you two already know each other?" he happily queries. "Because that's great, since it saves me from worrying, about how to keep the air all nice and comfy."

His comment makes me smile. "Aw, that's nice of you, to think like that," I say. "Because usually, when I let my friends meet, I kind of just shove everyone into a room, and just hope for the best."

Chanyeol chuckles. "I do that too, but—" Slapping a hand onto Kris' shoulder, he gives us both a beam. "When it comes to this guy here, I just want to be a little extra cautious," he says. "Because Kris is a really special friend to me, that's all."

He continues that radiant grin of his, but all Kris does, is flatten his eyes at the brunette.

I slowly nod my head at the two of them, somewhat understanding what he's trying to imply—ah, Chanyeol must be talking about Kris' 'secret'.

Our chatter is forced to be put at hold, as a few other workers now make their way over to us, to ask Chanyeol about his photos. He excuses himself from us, to then show them what he's been doing, which then leads them all into business talk, and whatnot. Seeing that, I now turn my attention back over to Kris, but noticing how he's currently being occupied with a stylist, refrains me from saying anything. It makes me feel a little out of place, as I continue to stand here, with nothing to do, except—

"Subin-sshi," calls Chanyeol, from out of nowhere.

I straighten myself up, and lift my gaze over to him. "Yeah?" I answer.

"Can you come over here for a second?" he enquires.

Blinking a bit, I respond by making my way over to him and his little group.

Chanyeol now introduces me to his co-workers, and as I politely exchange my 'hello's with them and vice-versa, I can't help but feel somewhat confused—where exactly is this going?

And especially when they keep switching their attention from my face, to his camera in their hands every so often, it just makes me wonder even more.

One of them happens to be the guy that I saw with Kris at the cafe a while ago, who gave him suggestive eyebrows, just before he left. He introduced himself to me as Chen, and I'm impressed by his fluent Korean—I'm pretty sure he's Chinese, but he must have been learning Korean for so long, to sound so smooth, with how he speaks. Although, that mischievous glint, dancing around in his eyes, when I praised him for it, tells me otherwise.

The others laughed, when he politely accepted my compliment, and I was a little lost, as to why they all responded in such a way. Thankfully, Soonkyu, (or known as Sunny) the blonde girl, with a stylish short haircut, had the decency to explain why, and when Jongdae's true nationality was revealed, I sighed, with flattened eyes. Sooyoung, the tall, and very slender girl standing next to Sunny, goes on to tell me how he does this to everyone, because it's just in Chen's nature, to trick people.

I take myself away from my thoughts, and return them back onto the group in front of me.

"You're right," I hear Sooyoung mumble, with a thoughtful look. "Her face does suit the sweaters that we have to advertise..."

Chanyeol grins at her. "I told you, didn't I?" he says.

"Yeah, her features are kind of cute," adds in Chen, rather casually. "It's also a lot more relaxed, compared to Kris."

Sunny giggles at his comment. "That's because Kris is better with the 'cool' themes!" she chirps. "Although, it would be nice to see him branch out, into other fields..."

The four of them continue on, murmuring to themselves for a bit more, until I see Sunny clap her hands together.

"I have an idea!" she excitedly announces.

And when the four sets of eyes slowly turn back to stare at me, I'm finally allowed the chance to utter out what's been on my mind.

"Um...why are you all looking at me like that…?"

———————————————

Content with how the bright, yellow sweater now sits on me, I then make my way outside of the change room, for my hair to be waved. As this happens, another stylist starts applying makeup onto my face, and I do everything that I can, to not freak out, when she pulls out the eyelash curler, and brings it right against my eye. Thankfully, that's the only scary thing that I have to experience, in having myself dress up, like how Sunny had suggested.

I still feel a little uncertain about this whole thing, (I mean, are they really okay with doing this?) but the uneasy feeling is soon replaced with one of surprise, sprinkled with excitement, as I now get to see the finished product. There, in the mirror's reflection, is pretty much a doll, blinking back at me, and I'm amazed. The stylists have managed to use their skills to enhance my features with the minimal amount of makeup, and I can’t stop staring, in amazement.

"There you go, all done," says the artist. "You can head over to Chanyeol-sshi now."

Showing her my gratitude, my lips find it hard to not smile with my new appearance, and it only continues, when I see a certain male emerge from my left.

"Kris!" I call out, while lightly jogging over to him.

Wearing the exact same jumper, (only that his is white, and not yellow) his perplexed face, greets my smiling one. "Subin-sshi?" he confusedly says. "Why are you...?"

"Oh, this is kind of cute," I lightly say. "We really do match!"

Kris continues to blink at me, and so I take his lack of response, as a sign to beckon him over towards Chanyeol.

When the two of us get there, Sunny is the first, to express her feelings of delight. Sooyoung and Chen both nod in agreement, while Chanyeol on the other hand, looks proud. I smile at their compliments, feeling a little shy by their praises, but only manage to temporarily set that timid feeling to the side, when they go to ask for Kris' thoughts. Waiting, I'm curious to see what he will say, but he just stares at me, with an unreadable expression.

"I'm confused..." he eventually mumbles, after a second or so.

Seeing the look on his face, Chen now steps forward, to tell him. "Subin-sshi will be your partner, for this shoot," he notifies. "We know that 'sweet' isn't really your thing, so Sunny noona suggests that maybe you can learn to make it your thing, with Subin-sshi's help."

I'm taken aback by this, but keep quiet for them to continue speaking.

"But...why?" is all Kris can seem to utter out. "You know that I usually work alone..."

Sooyoung laughs, but it sounds weary—like as though she was expecting him to say this. "We know that, Kris," she says. "But having a bit of variety in your photos won't hurt, right?"

Sunny nods her head in agreement. "Yeah, you really need to try something new!" she adds.

"Yeah buddy, come on," encourages Chanyeol. "It's not every day that we can go off schedule, and experiment a little. So what do you say?"

Kris looks at Chanyeol for a bit more, and when his gaze eventually turns over to me, to see my expectant face, he gradually lets out a small, irked sigh.

And although he doesn't appear to be impressed by this suggestion, the tiny, defeated look on his facial features, make us all cheer, to see that it's his way of agreeing.

———————————————

"This is looking like a forced family photo..." I hear Chen point out.

Sooyoung frowns at this, in agreement. "Kris, you have to ease up a little," she advises. "And Subin, you too. We know that you don’t normally do this, but try to relax like how you were, in the photos that Chanyeol showed us a while ago."

Feeling their disappointment, I let my shoulders drop, with a sigh. "I'm sorry, I just..." My eyes can't help but glance over at the male next to me. "I can feel how uncomfortable Kris is, and because of that...I can't help but feel uneasy, also." Kris crinkles his eyebrows at me, making me nervously smile back at him. "I'm not saying that it's your fault or anything, but...um...how should I say this...?" My unsure voice trails on, as I begin to ponder to myself.

Chanyeol sets down his camera, with a sigh. "She's right," he says, in exasperation. "Dude, come on—you're oozing with so much awkwardness, that even I'm starting to feel a bit weird, with taking your photos."

Kris doesn't say anything, and I now feel bad, with how things are becoming.

"Maybe we should bring in a prop or something," suggests Sunny. "Will that help you guys?"

The two of us nod our heads, and she's instantly off to grab whatever she has in mind.

And while this happens, I see Chanyeol, Chen, and Sooyoung talking amongst themselves, which leaves Kris and I alone.

I turn to him, with an apologetic expression. "Hey, I'm sorry..." mumbles my voice. "Will this be better if I just went home?"

Kris shakes his head. "No, because then they'll just blame it on me even more," he wearily says. I'm about to apologise again, but he speaks up, before I can. "I'm just really used to having solo shoots, so...it's not your fault," he quietly says.

I'm somewhat confused at his timid tone of voice, but then I realise that...maybe this is his way of saying sorry?

My expression eases up at him, causing an understanding smile to form on my lips. "Lets just do our best, okay?" I positively say. "They seem really into the idea, and...it’s not every day that I get to do this kind of thing, so it's really fun."

Kris stares at me for a bit, and it looks like he wants to stay something, but Sunny's abrupt appearance holds him back.

We're presented with a bunch of sunflowers, and a cute strawberry cake, that I think, looks much too pretty to be cut up, and eaten. Where did she even get such a thing, and how can she even have the heart to let me ruin it? So because of that, when asked which item we would like to play with first, I pick the sunflowers. Kris agrees to it with a shrug, and then from there, we start to ready ourselves. Sunny sets the scenario, to give us a better idea of the mood needed, where Sooyoung continues to assist us with our expressions.

Chen helps out with the lighting, as well as throwing out a couple of ideas of where we should be standing, to help Chanyeol frame the images as nicely as possible. Things start off with me holding the sunflowers in my hands, as Kris goes to encircle his arms around me from behind. It feels a little weird, but I try to shoo that feeling away, and put on my best smile for the camera. Now, tilting the sunflower up higher for him, as a sign for him to take a sniff of them, I hope that this can make our role of being a couple, look slightly more convincing.

Kris leans in and does what I've signalled for him to do, but right at the last second, I couldn't resist, but playfully tap the flower over his face, startling him. His blinking face makes me laugh, as he just ends up shaking his head good-naturedly at me. We continue to pose, and listen to the advices from everyone on making this better, until Sooyoung decides to add in the cake. Here, we do the typical couple-trying-to-feed-each-other thing, but once again, Kris just looks so awkward.

Everyone is starting to get really impatient, and I think even Kris himself, is beginning to feel annoyed. And whether it's because of their complaining, or how he just can't seem to ease himself up, I feel bad, with how he's just quietly taking in their not-so-pleased comments. He's very calm about it, that's for sure, and although they're harsh, I can tell it's for the best. As they continue to advise him on the expression that he should present, my mind can't help but wander off elsewhere.

There must be a way to loosen him up somehow...

"Okay, so are you guys ready?" asks Sooyoung, from out of nowhere.

I blink a little, and then nod my head.

Chanyeol snaps a photo of me eagerly pointing at the cake, as if showing it to Kris, and then another one, where I'm pretending to cut up a piece, with his help.

We carry on normally, until an idea pops into my head, but I wait for the right moment to strike.

Which is actually right now, as Kris goes to show me an inquisitive look, and me knowing that he knows how I have something up my sleeve, makes me decide to show him.

So with a quick swipe of the cream on my index finger, I then swiftly dab it onto his nose, with a giggle.

And just as I expected, he's definitely taken aback by the sudden action. "What are you doing?" he firmly demands.

But his unimpressed tone makes me laugh a little more. "Oh come on," I amusedly say. "Just lighten up a little!"

Kris doesn't seem to be very happy with my reasoning, but even though that's the case, the sudden feeling of cream, being smeared onto my cheek, surprises me.

"Hey, what was that for?!" I say, with a frown.

My unhappy response makes him shrug a shoulder. "Since this is a couple shoot, aren't we supposed to match?" he nonchalantly says.

I flatten my eyes at him. "Yeah, but—" I'm not sure what else to say, since I feel as though my plans to make this more 'fun', has seemed to backfire on me. "Really? Was my cheek really needed?"

But my words have appeared to dig me further into the direction that I don't want it to. "Oh," says Kris, as though he's just realised something. "I guess I made a mistake..."

I'm about to ask him what he means about that, when I feel my nose suddenly be dabbed with some cream.

"There," he says, with a hint of satisfaction. "Is that better?"

I blink a little, but when I see the corner of his lips, lift up very carefully, into what looks like, a victorious smirk, something about it, makes me purse my lips in annoyance.

"Only if—" Pausing my sentence, I reach out for a piece of the strawberry, and hastily take a bite, so that only the leaf remains. "I get to stick this on you!"

But since my aim is quite off, the thing ends up landing at his eye, and making him twitch.

After removing that, Kris now looks like he's ready to kill, and when I see him pick up a few of the thinly sliced, pieces of strawberry, I begin to back away.

"I didn't mean to get your eye, I swear!" I nervously begin. "I was aiming for your hair, but—actually, I lied, because I wanted to stick it on your nose—but the point is, how about you, um, put down those strawberries, yeah...?"

But Kris' face is uninterested, and when a piece of the fruit flies towards me, it suddenly feels like there's a whole swarm of them coming right here.

I instantly squeal, running around the white table in front of us, as an attempt to get away, but he's fast. Grabbing a cut up piece of the cake, I quickly throw it in his direction, but he dodges it with a breeze, making me inwardly groan. Now, I'm suddenly captured in a strange headlock by his arms, and my pleas only become more frequent, along with my laughter. The giggling in me increases, when he accidentally probes at my side, and this discovery just motivates him to continue even more.

"Kris!" I squeal out. "Stop it, I feel like I'm going to die!"

"No, keep killing her!" cheers a voice. "This is great!"

And when I hear how it's Chanyeol's voice, egging him on, I suddenly remember where we are, and who we're standing in front of.

"Guys—!" I wail, but am cut off with another giggling fit.

"Hey, you started this," interrupts Kris, sounding very entertained. "So you finish it."

My squirming somehow ends up making me nudge him on the side, and when I notice that sensitive reaction of his, a devious snicker comes out from me.

"Oh, you're ticklish, too?" I cheekily question.

Caught off guard, Kris loosens his hold on me, and I use the chance to slip away, to see him blinking at me. He tries to deny it, but with how he's slowly inching away from me, I can tell what he really means. The tables have now been turned, as I get to taunt someone much taller than me, and it's all by a wriggle of my fingers. I can see that Kris is trying his best not to laugh, and knowing this, it makes me try even harder, with my poking.

"H-Hey, stop this," says Kris, trying his best to look serious. "You're ruining the—heheh—you're ruining the—"

And when I see him not being able to help but smile, and softly laugh, all while pleading for me to stop, (or threaten to tickle me back) it just makes this whole thing much more enjoyable.

In the end, when we stop, with a satisfied amount of photos taken, we're thankfully praised by everyone. Sooyoung said that she was worried that this might not have turned out so well, and Sunny goes to voice out, how she was feeling something along the same lines. Chanyeol and Chen, on the other hand, go to comment on Kris, and how they feel as though a breeze of fresh air has suddenly hit them. Because apparently, it's been a while, since the two of them have seen Kris like this, making the girls agree, and I laugh.

Kris doesn't say anything to this, but I think it must be his cleanliness getting to him, because he leaves as soon as he can, to fix himself up. I don't mind having the frosting on my face for a little longer, since I'm way too curious about the results of the photos. Although thankfully, before Chanyeol begins to show me the images, he hands me a box of tissues, for me to take however much I want, to remove the bits of cake from my face.

It's just the two of us now, with the other three, having other errands to run and such, but that's okay.

"These will be good, for advertising the Matoki bunny sweaters," says Chanyeol.

I’m a little uncertain. "Are you sure?" I puzzledly say.

He nods his head. "Of course!" he keenly responds. "I doubt Kris will want a repeat of this with someone else, so yeah."

A chortle emits from me. "Ah, I'm not so sure about that..." I sheepishly say. "But if you really think that I've helped out in some kind way, then...I guess I'm glad to be of some use?"

Chanyeol chuckles. "You looked cute, and Kris cooperated, so it's all good," he reassures. "Anyway, you're free to do whatever you want now, so thanks for today."

I say my goodbye to him, get myself cleaned up, and then eventually leave the place.

And I'm not sure if it's because I'm allowed to keep the cute yellow sweater, or that I got to see a new expression on Kris' face, but I exit the building, with a happy, and satisfied feeling.