A Small World

Tangled in Love

The sudden sound of the home phone ringing away, slowly stirs me awake.

And because I'm not in the mood to answer it right now, I shift around in my spot a bit, in hopes that the loud noise will stop, and it actually does. The peace makes me relax, but when I hear the ringing start up again, I instantly frown. Forcing myself to get up, I gradually move away from the couch, and blindly begin to feel my way over towards the loud device. And as I do this, I happen to bump into (what feels like) the dinner table, but I'm too tired to grumble much about the hit.

My hand finally reaches out for the noisy phone, for me to pick it up. "Hello?" answers my sleepy self.

There's a brief silence, before the person on the other end speaks. "You're...still asleep?" questions a familiar voice.

Leaning my head against the wall, I nod my head slightly. "Mmhmm..." I idly hum.

"But...it's almost lunch time?" continues the person, sounding rather perplexed.

“Oh, is it…?” And because I can feel myself dozing off again, their voice starts fade away, along with everything else that they're saying, until—

"Subin-sshi," I hear an irked voice suddenly say. "Are you there?"

The iciness radiating from that, is enough to jerk me upright again. "Yes, I'm here!" I notify, although still feeling extremely disorientated. "I'm sorry, but who is this again?"

A sigh is heard from the other end, and judging by the weariness in it, it sounds as though they've already told me many times.

"Kris," he reveals. "It's me, Kris."

It now finally clicks to me. "Oh, riiiight," I lazily drawl, with a tiny laugh. "Eheheh, what's up?"

And for some strange reason, if he were to be standing in front of me right now, I can just imagine him looking at me, with those judging eyes of his, wondering why he's even bothering to talk to me.

Actually, why is he talking to me right now?

"I've accidentally left my phone at home," he says. "And I was wondering if it's okay for you to bring it here for me...?"

A tired yawn escapes me, as I now begin to stretch out my free arm. "Mmkay, sure; I have the day off today, so why not?" I casually say. "Just tell me where to go, and I'll be ready in half an hour." 

Our phone call doesn't last for long though, because Kris ends up texting the address into my mobile phone.

And so, I brush my teeth, get dressed, and make something for me to eat, all within the thirty minutes, like how I promised him, before leaving the house. I end up taking another half an hour of travel to get to his workplace, and when I finally arrive at the building, my eyes curiously take in the sight of the glass design. It kind of looks like any other regular office building, so...does this mean that he's just another regular office worker, or something?

Hmm, now that I think about it, Kris has never really told me what his occupation is.

Actually, he never really tells me anything, unless I ask him about it...

Temporarily brushing these thoughts to the side, I now begin to make my way inside the place, and as I do this, I can't help but feel a little unsure—I feel a little unsure, because Kris didn't really mention a specific place for me to stand at, so I don't know if I'm supposed to even be inside the building. But my instincts tell me to just continue onwards though, since I'm already there. It's quite sophisticated in here, I realise, with the white tiles, and dark grey walls, and—

"Oh—!" I hear a sudden voice perk up. "Aren't you that girl from...?"

My eyes light up with recognition, at the male standing before me—it's the curly haired boy from the other day!    

"Oh, hello again!" I cheerfully say, with a friendly smile. "Fancy seeing you here."

My comment makes him chuckle. "Likewise," he amusedly says. "What are you doing here, anyway?"

I shrug a shoulder at him. "Just giving someone something," I vaguely say. "Although I'm not really sure where he'll be...but anyway, why are you here?"

"Me?" he repeats. "It's because I work here."

Surprise fills me. "Oh?" I curiously say. "As...?"

My lingering voice, gets him to complete my sentence. "As a photographer," he smoothly responds. "I help photograph the models here."

The astonishment washing over me, makes my eyes round with more surprise, but I guess it’s to be expected—I mean, it’s not every day that someone carries around an expensive camera like that, so it makes sense.

Entertained by the look on my face, it makes him laugh a little. "Do you want to have a look around?" he offers.

I pause for a second, but the idea of being introduced towards a whole new world, makes me very excited. "Okay then!" I giddily say.

Hopping over to his side, it makes him flash me another happy smile. "By the way, my name's Chanyeol," he says. "Park Chanyeol."

And because there's just something about his bright aura, it makes me automatically beam back at him without a second thought. "Well, it's very nice to meet you, Chanyeol-sshi," I happily say. "I'm Jung Subin."

Something about my greeting makes him chuckle, but before I can ask him about it, he's already leading me past a sectary’s desk, and towards the nearest white door. The two of us enter that, and the first thing that I see, is a tripod. My eyes scan across the wires that sit nearby it, and over towards the huge scroll of paper, that's hung up against a wall. And as Chanyeol begins to guide me further in, I end up seeing more equipment, and of course, people.

With cameras flashing every now and then, it fascinates me, as to how the model is able to immediately strike up a new pose, after every click is heard. I sometimes hear a strange 'beep' right as the photographer takes their photo, and I learn from Chanyeol that it's how they check whether they're using the right settings or not. We walk through some more, and my curious eyes gets to see a few stylists fixing up a model's makeup, or straightening out what another one is wearing, and I think, wow.

"This is so cool..." I murmur, in amazement. "Everyone is so organised, and looks so focused, I'm just...wow?"

My inability to properly phrase my amazement together, seems to please him. "Well, we have to be, or things can get a little chaotic," he enlightens. "And trust me, that actually happens a lot more than you think it does, and it's a very scary thing."

Chanyeol now seems to be leading me down towards a certain area, because when he finally stops, to gesture his arm out towards the space, he comes to introduce it to me, as his working area. Filled with a new form of interest, I now begin to peek through his things, and even curiously poke at a couple of the objects. Such as the wallpaper, the props, and the camera itself. With my eyes now setting itself down onto a perfume bottle, I can't help but gingerly pick it up.

"Whoa," I breathe out. "This is...this the 'One Shot' perfume, from Matos!" Spraying it in the air, I immediately start to cough, at the intensity of the scent. "Ugh, I can see why you would only need one shot..." I wheeze out. Another perfume bottle catches my eye, and so I set this one down, in exchange for that. "Wow, you even have the 'Angel' one, which just recently came out, too!" I exclaim, in glee. And, learning my lesson from the other one, I just take a quick sniff at the opening.

It suddenly comes to my attention that Chanyeol is a little quiet, and when I turn over, to see what's up, he makes me blink a little.

"You have nice hands," he compliments, from out of the blue.

Hearing that, my eyes travel down towards them, with an unsure expression. "I do?" I confusedly say.

"Yeah," he answers, with an assuring smile. "Do you mind if I play around with a few shots?"

I shrug my shoulders at him, and then give him the affirmative—sure, why not?

And so, all I have to do, is to basically hold a perfume bottle at a time, in a certain way, for him to snap away. Chanyeol makes me hold it in the air at first, and then against the coloured wallpaper, where we then move onto a pedestal. I alternate between the perfume bottles there, and end up turning this into an interesting game, to see how many creative ways we can have my hands help display, or hold these products—I think it's kind of fun.

When I go to see the photos, I'm quite surprised, at how nice Chanyeol has managed to make my hands look. He lightly tells me that I should consider becoming a hand model, but I shake my head at his suggestion, taking it as a joke. I see that in a few images, my face is shown, (and it's extremely unflattering, with how I'm in the middle of talking...) but he immediately reassures me that he will be cropping and resizing these, so that I don't feel uncomfortable or anything.

I continue to watch him flick through the other photos, when all of the sudden, we hear his name being called.

"Hey Chanyeol, can I borrow your phone?" questions a familiar voice.

And it’s also the same familiar voice, that happened to speak to me this morning, and is actually the reason of why I'm here, I might add.

"Oh, hey Kris!" greets Chanyeol. "Yeah sure, just give me a second—oh, but before you do, I want you to meet someone—" Turning towards me, he holds out a hand towards the golden-brown haired male. "Subin-sshi, this is Kris—he's a really good friend of mine, and also happens to be one of the models that I usually shoot," he informs. "And Kris—" he starts off, now gesturing a hand over towards me. "This is a newly-made friend of mine, Subin-sshi."

Kris and I are blinking at each other, most likely because we're not sure of how to respond, except wonder just how we both know the brunette here, standing in between us.

Or that the world just feels incredibly small right now.