Guilt

A moment apart

“What were you looking for that night?” they were walking home after a long day, and by now the definition of home had turned into Hoseok’s apartment.


“Hmm?” Taehyung looked at him with a questioning look on his face, cheeks red from the cold. Hoseok giggled a bit and put the huge hood he had on his coat and took his hand in his pocket. Taehyung immediately felt warmer, but not really from the hood, Hoseok just had that effect on him.


“That night when we met for the first time near my apartment? I recall you said you were looking for something.”


“It must’ve been something unimportant because I don’t remember.” Taehyung said quietly. “By the way, are you up for some fried rice with chicken tonight? Hmm, also some green salad and boiled eggs for the side.”

Taehyung could keep on blabbering about the food he could devour in just one night and Hoseok was already used to that, so he just obediently started walking in the direction of the near convenience store. I could do a little feast tonight as a celebration of him passing his exams, I guess Hoseok thought to himself, while already putting up the course in his head. After all cooking was relaxing for him and Taehyung would end up really happy and not as hyper as ever so that’s a win-win situation.


Taehyung smiled when he saw Hoseok already being distracted by planning out tonight’s dinner. Truth was that night he did lose a thing important to him. It was a picture of him and Jiu’s mom he always kept in his wallet before, but that night he realized he forgot to put it back inside and it was gone. Then Hoseok appeared along with Jiu and Taehyung realized maybe he now just let go of the thoughts about Jiu’s mom that were hunting him and making him feel guilty because Jiu was there right in front of him, alive and healthy. He then decided he would do his best to support it and Hoseok as much as he could. Now he had a lot more than he ever imagined back then, with both Hoseok and Jiu by his side and for once he stopped reminiscing of that night in his dreams. He squeezed Hoseoks hand and his and took the latter by surprise by kissing him on the middle of the street. It felt just right.
 

--

Hoseoks parents lived in the countryside so he rarely ever got to meet them because of work, but he could proudly say they still had a pretty tight relationship, so sometimes he had those thoughts of Introducing Taehyung to them. But then he would get overwhelmed with all kinds of doubts and worries that he’s going too fast and this might affect Taehyung badly, so would just put those thoughts In the back of his head for now and think about them in a more proper time.

--


“Say Taehyung, are you spending Christmas with your parents? Or other family members?” Hoseok asked one morning he was at the book shop. He actually didn’t know anything about his parents because Taehyung wasn’t the one to share personal things unless asked.


“With Hobi.” Taehyung didn’t even think and answered right away.


“How can you say it so easy, what would your parents say? You need to treat them better.” Hoseok felt guilty that was taking most of Taehyungs free time so he probably lost contact with few friends or even his parents. He didn’t want him to think he would be mad if they didn’t spent the holiday together.
“It’s okay.”


“You need to be more responsible Taehyung! When was the last time you actually talked to them?”


“Why do you care so much? If you don’t want to spend Christmas with me just tell me.” Taehyungs voice sounded really hurt and he was panting a little, head turned away from Hoseok. The latter needed a second to realize that Taehyung had misunderstood his words and tried to correct himself but he was cut off by a “Hobi is an idiot” and the sight of his back leaving towards the storage room. Hoseok was already kind of late so he decided to explain all this after work.
 


4pm. Hoseok was fidgeting and getting really impatient, actually irritated at this whole situation, mostly because he knew he hurt Taehyung accidentally and he couldn’t even apologize properly. And why the hell wasn’t time moving as it would usually?! Hoseok groaned, looking at the never ending pile of sheets he had to go through.


4:18pm. “I won’t be able to wait for you after work tonight. See you later.”


A simple text from Taehyung made Hoseok choke a bit. All he wanted to do was go to him and apologize. Guilt was poking his conscious all the time and he thought that he deserved it because of his curiousness. He actually just wanted to know more about Taehyungs parents, what kind of people were they and how could they possibly react to their relationship. It was again his selfish desires that hurt Taehyung and he knew that well. Without realizing it he stayed until almost 10pm doing extra work just to distract himself. It was an unfamiliar feeling to him, as they would always bicker about something with Taehyung, yet never actually fight. He was dreading tomorrow morning, scared of what kind of expression Taehyung would have when they meet or what should he say.
 

--

“Oh you’re here Hoseok, how come so early? Actually can you come take a look, you’re gonna be surprised.” Misa grinned somewhat proudly at Hoseok, making him go all the way to the storage room. There was a cactus alive and looking healthy and Misa had the most proud and smug face she could pull off.


“I dare you say something about my gardening abilities ever again! Very soon I’m gonna have my own garden and you can’t stop me!” she said while looking motherly at the cactus again. Hoseok only smiled, feeling fond of the owner more than ever and ruffled her hair, which was quite easy, as she barely reached his chin.


“Hey, is there something wrong? I think you forgot to take your sass with you when you left home in the morning.” Misa asked because it was rare to see Hoseok actually expressing his fondness of her.


“Jeez, way to ruin the moment, you crazy garden maniac.” Hoseok huffed and returned to the main room, where of course no customers were to be found. But where was Taehyung? Like the open book he was to Misa she only said “Did you forget? It’s his day-off today, I thought you knew.” He didn’t.


“Of course I know dummy, can’t I just visit my most favorite crazy lady in the world?”


“Oh you sure can, but the disappointed look on your face tells me quite the opposite.” Damn, am I that obvious?


“Did you two fight or something?“ Hoseok stiffened. “No wait, on another note I don’t want to know, but whatever it is I’m sure you will figure it out so don’t worry too much, okay?” Hoseok heart felt lighter again and he wanted to thank her for existing.

All day he fought the urge to call Taehyung, but he couldn’t get himself to. Guilt and uneasiness blurred out his rational thoughts and he just focused all his attention on his work. At 5:02pm was more emotionally drained than physically tired, so he just decided to go home for now and finish tomorrow. He missed him.


“Ah Hobi! There you are. I was scared you left already.” What? Hoseok sharply lifted his head. Is this a de ja vú? But no, Taehyung was there, waiting for him by the entrance, smiling with his cheeks and ears dark red from the cold. Hoseok felt like he was about to rise up in the air from all the butterflies he felt in his stomach by just seeing that smile.

“Why didn’t  you call me..”


“It’s okay, I didn’t want to disturb Hobi’s work. Besides I only waited for a few minutes.”


“Isn’t today your day off?” Hoseok asked while putting his own scarf on the boy, because he really doesn’t want him getting sick again. Is he not mad at me?


“I wanted to see you and apologize for yesterday.. I don’t want you to be mad at me. Are you hungry? Misa paid me yesterday so I can treat you something for the first time.” Taehyung said with an apologetic and sincere look on his eyes. It was the same old Taehyung, as if they never bickered and as if he missed Hoseok just as much as the other.


"Im sorry Taehyung, I know i pushed your limits again yesterday with what i said. You don't have to tell me what makes you feel uncomfortable or if you do, i can wait. Now let's go order some chinese and watermelon ice cream."

Those were Taehyung's favorite.He wiped the few tears that were forming in his eyes and nodded firmly. It was Hoseoks turn to be careless and succumb to his urges and kiss Taehyung without minding everyone around them. Yet it felt just right.
 


A/N I hope this makes sense  ;u; You will understand Taehyungs reaction to all this in the next chapter so that i hope will clear all confusions. Thank you for reading ♥