A smile

A moment apart

Hoseok was getting really sick of the repetitive routine that was his life. Not that he didn’t have anything to do, it really wasn’t this. He had a full-time job that pretty much occupied his day and the thoughts that run through his mind in the meantime, but after the work day is over he would go home and spend the second part of the day either eating, showering or doing some chores around the house and that would be it. It has been like this for months now. He was grateful that he had a jab and an income on which he could rely on, but every night he would go to be bed feeling empty, like something in his life was lacking, a lot. He wanted to get up in the morning feeling excited about something, to think about anything that wasn’t related to his work. His friends? He couldn’t complain that he didn’t have anyone by his side, but all of them having families plus work to deal with, it was a rare occasion for their schedules to allow them to hang out as much as he wanted to.

Every Wednesday morning was Hoseok’s turn to get his colleagues alive and running by simply going to the near coffee shop to buy the finest, quality caffeine stocked coffee that was the secret of their productivity. Every day would be a different person from the office doing it, it was one of the few rules that was followed by everyone because they knew the result would surface.
“So anyone having changed their preference for today or do I get the usual?” Hoseok questions while putting his jacket on, about to leave. No one said anything in particular, meaning the usual drinks would do. He had already memorized them as he had been working here for a while now. He takes his time though, knowing how much work he has to do because it’s the end of the month he wasn't really looking forward to going back to the office.


Not thinking about anything, Hoseok walks past the usual flower shop, the forever smelling-like-heaven bakery right next to the coffee shop and lastly the little bookstore on the other side of it. The lady that owned the bookstore, which was probably the only staff member, would always greet him and ask him how he was. In a way you could say they had become friends because he always stops to chat for a bit as it’s not the most popular place, thus the lack of clients. But this time it was different. There was a relatively tall boy with a honey like colored hair that looked really engrossed trying to explain had he come for. The lady was talking to him, probably helping him find whatever he needed, so she didn’t notice Hoseok at first, who was curiously watching the first ever client he had seen here. There was nothing unusual about him that could explain why didn’t Hoseok just continue with his task and not stay there just staring at the boy. Actually Hoseok was just about to leave, seeing that the lady was busy, but just a moment before that he saw a smile. A smile that appeared on the boy’s face, as he probably found the book that he was looking for. It must've been a really important one, because that was the kind of smile that could make someone feel better by just looking at it. It looked like the whole atmosphere around him just brightened up with and made his eyes crinkle as if he was a little child who just received his favorite candy. Hoseok noticed that he couldn’t tear his eyes for quite a while, not until the boy opened the door to leave the book store, still smiling in a way that made Hoseok hold his breath, subconsciously. You see, in the dull life he was living such beaming smile was not an often occurrence to him and probably that’s why he got shaken up a bit, he thought. A quick look at his watch made him realize how long he actually spent observing a scene, which was a really natural one actually, so he decided it was about time he does his job if he wants to avoid his boss’ scolding.

Hoseok’s job wasn’t really a particularly draining one where countless of overnights are needed, but there are times he has to bring few unfinished papers at home to complete them, such as today. 23:18 pm, he noted to himself. He wanted to take a little break and strech. His dog, an Akita Inu he adopted almost a year ago, came to him just in time looking at him expectantly, so the great idea of taking it for a quick walk occurred to Hoseok’s mind. I mean what better else is there to do at 28:18pm on a Wednesday night? The neighborhood was a safe one anyway and it would help him a lot to clear his mind so he can concentrate better.

It was alnost midnight and he was feeling more tired than he had for a long time, so he decided it was about time they get back to his apartment if he wanted to finish whatever he had left to do. While strolling down the street Hoseok saw a figure moving around as if it was searching for something, but it was too dark to see whether that was someone of his neighbors or not. He got closer to the person, but a second later he felt the need to step back again. Although he wasn’t smiling now, actually a rather worried look was on his face, but somehow Hoseok couldn’t mistake those eyes, as if they had imprinted themselves in his mind. It was the boy from earlier this afternoon. Why did his heart skip a beat he wasn’t too sure.


“Are you okay? Do you need any help?” surprising even himself, Hoseok suddenly asked the stranger, because it was late and he was quite positive he doesn’t live around. The boy sharply turned around as if he hadn’t noticed Hoseok’s presence not even for a second before. He looked confused for a second, but then he smiled, a smile that already felt strangely familiar to Hoseok, and shook his head lightly.


“No, thank you. I was looking for something and I guess I haven’t realized how late it actually is. What’s his name?” the question rather confused Hoseok at first, as he didn’t get who was he talking about in the beginning, but just a moment later he saw him squatting down, petting his dog.


“I’m not sure. I always call him different names and it’s used to that. But this is kind of weird because it rarely ever allows anyone but to me to come near it and even be petted.” Hoseok murmurs, wondering if he had tired the dog too much, but his eyes still being focused on the boy. The latter stood up again gathering his belongings that were scattered on a bench nearby.


“Animals tend to be rather fond of me” he smiles again, more like a grin, while directly looking into Hoseok’s eyes, who is again feeling mesmerized by how sincerely that boy could smile.


“I have to go now, thank you for offering me help” without waiting for an answer he turns around beginning to walk away, leaving Hoseok in an even more confused state.


“My name is Taehyung by the way”