That cheeky brat

A moment apart

They were walking side by side with Jiu in between them. It took them around an hour to get to Hoseok’s home and take him out because both Taehyung and Jiu became friends for less than five minutes and a few minute play time was needed for both of them. Hoseok could only laugh at both kids but he didn’t mind since he was happy his dog could finally open up to someone else. As if they knew each other already. Nah, of course that can’t be. They chose to take the long way to the park, time spent entirely talking about things that only they would understand and lame jokes cracked only they would laugh at. Silence fell upon them once they reached their point but actually it wasn’t as awkward or an uncomfortable one as Hoseok thought. They walked along the same park they have had for ages yet it felt different. To both of them, Hoseok hoped. Taehyung was looking at nothing in particular, hands safely put the pockets of his long, brownish coat. It was only the beginning of autumn but chilliness could be felt in the air already. Hoseok had this strange urge to take Taehyung’s hands in his and just keep him warm and protect him. A traitor blush crept on his cheeks and that made him feel even more embarrassed from those thoughts and he apologized to Taehyung in his mind. As always Hoseok couldn’t read his exact expression but it wasn’t a tensed one so he didn’t worry much about the silence between them. Not until Taehyung broke it himself.
“Why did you adopt Jiu?”
“Hmm? It all happened super fast actually, I wasn’t planning on adopting a pet for the time being … but there is an Animal shelter really close to my apartment building. I was passing by it one day, on this day exactly last year, and I got in. I still have no idea what made me do this, it all happened before I realized it. I looked around for a bit, petted few cats and a parrot. I was ready to leave but I overheard few vets talking and someone was crying, but I didn’t see who. Jiu was a newborn puppy then but he had to undergo a surgery so he could live. An operation the shelter couldn’t afford so of course the talk was that they were going to put him to sleep. My heart squeezed as I heard the person crying, because I could feel his sadness even though I couldn’t see him. I needed to take one look at Jiu and the rest was adrenaline talking not me. Before I knew it I had agreed to adopt and pay for his operation. I wonder if I was really lonely then” Hoseok takes a little break and laughs at that statement, knowing it was true. He was really lonely. “But I never once regretted my decision. I would’ve spent those money on something I probably didn’t need and Jiu has been nothing but a great friend” he petted his dog affectionally, a really gentle smile spread on his face. “Actually I still remember that I got a basket full of fruits, some dog treats and letter that thanked me for saving Jiu the week after it happened. I still don’t know who exactly sent it but it made me really happy and even happier that I decided to do it.” He didn’t hear a response so he stopped talking and looked in Taehyung’s direction. There was this beaming smile again. But why?
“Hey are you even listening? You brat, making me talk all by mysel-“
“Thank you.” What? Hoseok shut up and looked confusedly at him.
“What for? I didn’t do anything.”
“Just because. Now I’m hungry so let’s go eat in the near fast food place. I’m pretty sure they would allow Jiu if we sit outside and order something for him too.” Taehyung hopped from the bench they were sitting on and went ahead without waiting for Hoseok. He turned around, grinning “You’re paying you know, right?”
“You cheeky brat”



Hoseok felt like a balloon. Exactly how much could that skinny kid eat and still be able to breathe properly? Hoseok couldn’t finish even half of the food Taehyung ordered yet he felt like he won’t be needing to eat for another few weeks. But Taehyung finished it all, amazing just amazing. For some ridiculous reason it was Taehyung walking home Hoseok and not the reverse because that kid was so stubborn not even Hoseok could win. No matter how much Hoseok insisted he walked him home Taehyung didn’t budge for a second, so he just gave up.
“By the way aren’t you doing your last year in university? Can you allow yourself to dedicate yourself to your job full-time?” Hoseok has been wanting to ask this for a long time but never got the chance to until now.
“You’re right, but I’m used to it already. I usually copy important notes from my roommate and I’m quite confident with my final results so I don’t see a reason to stop working for now. But I will have to when the final semester comes” he pouted kinda absentmindedly as if that thought was super unpleasant to him. But that didn’t last for more than a second as usual because he was now too busy playing with Jiu. Maybe that’s finally becoming its permanent name, who knows. Hoseok didn’t want to break the comfortable atmosphere around them so he just enjoyed the end of their little adventure by admiring how well Taehyung could handle Jiu already.
It was becoming late and Hoseok was worried for Taehyung and insisted he walk him home again but he nothing but shook his head at the proposal. He petted Jiu one last time and said he would be going. Hoseok nodded and bid his goodbyes then turned around to enter his apartment building.  Didn’t this day went by wayyy to fast? Hoseok grumbled childishly in his mind but he felt something tugging his shirt from behind.
“Wha-“ He couldn’t finish his question. Two soft lips were on cheek and that was enough for him to make his heart race faster than it ever had and his knees to feel not strong enough to handle all of him right now. Before he could respond in any way or just recover from this everything but expected situation he saw Taehyung’s back already retreating. Though he turned around one more time to grin at the speechless Hoseok and laugh at his priceless expression.