Four

"Straight" To Your Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Miss me? ^^ I'm not gonna say anything much... just that, my JeTi feels are killing me!! :,) Lol. Any of you seen Jessi's latest post on weibo?? She was in Tiff's room!! *smirks* Gotta thank that post.. I got a sudden surge in writing.. Anyway....... on to the chapter.

 

~+~

 

The sun had begun to set, painting the blue canvas of sky with blends of yellow, orange, and pink.

Near the shorelines, Jesse sat on a log, a perfect spot overlooking the glimmering sea and the magnificent horizon. His eyes looked blank but his mind was swimming in a sea of thoughts.

He felt so lost, so confused without even comprehending why.

He didn’t know what his real problem was—and that, in itself, was another problem.

He exhaled deeply, clasping his hands together in a fist.

What the is wrong with me? Avoiding Tiffany when I know she’d certainly notice and misunderstand? Why am I even thinking these ‘things’ about my BFF? Ugh.

He sighed again and kicked the sand beneath his feet.

 

 

“I’m so upset at you right now.”

 

Jesse looked up at hearing the voice. “Tiff…”

Tiffany sat down on the log beside him, eyes to the horizon. “I thought I’m your best friend?”

“Of course you are!” the boy reassured, although he was quite confused where this conversation was going.

“Then you should’ve told me! I shouldn’t have to hear it from Krys or anyone else.”

Jesse’s eyes widened ever so slightly. “Krys told you what?”

Tiffany sighed. “Why you seemed to be avoiding me…”

Jesse almost squealed in panic if it weren’t for a hand reaching for his, squeezing gently and instantly calming him without effort.

He was a bit staggered, really. He had a sudden epiphany. It’s like he’s slowly waking up from something—something he couldn’t quite tell just yet. After all the years of friendship, only then did he realize just how much effect Tiffany had on him—how a mere squeeze of his hand affected his whole being.

It was clear that Jesse is a big part of Tiffany, and she would be devastated if she lost him; she had said so herself. And at this moment, Jesse knew for sure that he felt the same. Tiffany is and always will be a part of him, and he wouldn’t know what to do if he lost her.

“I’m sorry,” he mumbled, almost inaudibly but Tiffany heard him clearly. He didn’t know what his brother told her—if Krys managed to figure out the reason behind his behavior and told Tiffany, or whatever—but he just wanted to apologize ahead.

He just doesn’t want to lose her. It was an ardent feeling that dominated every other feeling that he has now and the previous days.

“It’s my fault, too,” the redhead sighed. “I should’ve realized that you were anxious and restless about all this pretending in front of your family…”

Jesse caught on to what Krys have told Tiffany, and he was thankful that his brother was cunning enough to come up with such a believable white lie.

“But you should’ve told me, Jess…” Tiffany placed one hand on Jesse’s cheek, making him look at her. “Let’s carry this burden together until the end. When you fall, I’ll hold your hand… And when the time comes to put it down, I’ll still be standing next to you, waiting for another burden to carry with you.”

The blonde smiled, her words tugging at his heartstrings. Her eyes looked even more beautiful with the colors of the sunset reflecting upon those orbs—he unconsciously thought—and the sincerity in them makes his heart pound harder in his chest.

“I’ll always be here, no matter what… you got that?”

Jesse nodded. “Thanks, Bestie…”

Tiffany beamed back at him before looping her arm through his, her head ultimately leaning on his shoulder.

 

“Hey Tiff…”

 

“Yeah?”

“I’d never want you to leave me, too. Not ever,” Jesse echoed her earlier words. And as if to prove his point, he leaned his head gently on top of hers. “Do you promise not to leave me, too?”

“With all my heart, Jess.”

 

With all that I am, Tiffany added.

 

The oblivious boy smiled, subtly kissed her forehead, and returned his head atop hers.

Tiffany tightened her arm around his and breathed out, her heart hammering inside her chest.

It might not be a love confession, but hearing those words from him—his promise to be a constant in her life—her heart was satiated.

In comfortable silence, the two stuck close to each other, wordlessly sealing a promise of a lifetime as they watched the sun set on the horizon.

 

~+~

 

“Are you alright now, Tiffany?” Mr. Jung asked over dinner. “We heard about what happened earlier.”

“No worries,” Tiffany smiled. “Just had a bit of panic attack… I’m fine now. Jesse took care of me well.”

“Aww…” the others cooed.

“As he should,” Mrs. Jung replied, smiling in satisfaction especially when Jesse held Tiffany’s hand on top of the table—a gesture which everyone fussed over.

Little Jung, however, just rolled his eyes. As much as he rooted for JeTi, he didn’t like watching their public displays, especially the pretend ones. He pushed away his plate, truly losing his appetite.

Unfortunately for him, Mrs. Jung had great peripheral vision. “Finish your plate, Soojung.”

“Bu—”

“The dessert is mango pie with mango gelato on top.”

“Yes, Mommy,” Krys instantly shoved down a mouthful of mashed potatoes.

Mrs. Jung patted his head. “That’s my baby.”<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter