Chapter 15

When We Say

Sunggyu awoke from resting to the sound of a girl crying. He would have rolled over and gone back to sleep if it was anyone else crying, but as much as he hated that he knew, he knew it was you. You had only cried once in front of Sunggyu and it was for a stupid reason. It was during high school and you had just found out that your best girl friend at the time was only using you to get to Dongwoo. She apologized and felt bad for making you feel this way but things were never the same afterwards. She was the reason why you never bothered to have any other friends that were girls during high school. You were so hurt that someone you trusted and loved like a sister was only using you. You weren’t planning on crying in front of Sunggyu, but he unexpectedly came into your room at the time. He held you until you stopped crying and vowed from that point on that he never wanted to hear you cry again. Shame took over his being. Not only was he hearing you cry again, but he knew he was the reason why. Sunggyu got up, put his clothes back on, and walked out of the bedroom. He stopped in front of the bathroom door, wanting to open it and comfort you, but he didn’t have the heart. He knew that if you saw him now, it would only make things worse. “Dongwooooo, I want to go homeee! I don’t like it hereeee,” Sunggyu heard you say through the door, slurring your words. “NO! Nothing’s wronggg. Things. They just didn’t work out like I wished they would.”

“I’m sorry,” Sunggyu whispered, hoping somehow you would hear him. He heard you shuffling inside and quickly retreated back to the bedroom afraid that you were coming out of the bathroom. Sunggyu was deep in his thoughts of how he could explain this to you or how he could fix this, just anything that could bring himself out of the hole he had dug himself. “Okay, come on. Let’s take you home,” Sunggyu heard Woohyun say faintly through the door.

Soya was still in bed sleeping when Sunggyu left twenty minutes later. He couldn’t stand being in the same room as her any longer. Sunggyu dialed his best friend’s number, knowing that he would still be awake especially after that phone call from you but couldn’t bring himself to press the call button. He couldn’t handle the thought that because he had hurt you, he had inadvertently hurt Dongwoo but Sunggyu knew he had to tell him before anyone else. He decided against calling and instead opted to text him. “Dongwoo, I know, I messed up. I’m sorry. I know she won’t want anything to do with me for now and I won’t force her. Just please take care of her now. I really don’t know how else to fix this. I think she’s better off with you for now. I didn’t want things to be like this, but there’s no one else to blame but myself. You must be ready to kill me right now, but just focus on her instead. Keep making her happy like you’ve been doing. I’m sorry.”

Dongwoo was lying in silence as he pondered on what could have happened to have you drunk dialing him and crying when his phone vibrated. He read Sunggyu’s text and sighed aloud. Dongwoo’s mind wouldn’t let him sleep until the early morning after thinking about all the situations that could’ve happened between Sunggyu and you.

-------------------

You spent the day, which was Christmas, with Woohyun, eating while catching up on each other’s lives until you reached the present. “You’re not mad that I brought you to that party, are you?” Woohyun asked. You knew Woohyun only had good intentions by bringing you to the party so you could see Sunggyu. It wasn’t his fault that Sunggyu had brought a guest. “Of course not,” you mused. “If anything, I’m sorry for cutting down your party time because I was just an incoherent drunk.”

“Don’t be sorry. It was fun seeing you drunk, I hadn’t seen you like that since you’re birthday last year.” The rest of your conversations went on like this, until you decided it was time for you to go back to your hotel to pack up your stuff. Woohyun walked you back to hotel, insisting you shouldn’t be walking around the city at night by yourself. “I’m really glad I saw you again, Woohyun,” you said sincerely. You really did miss him; you missed how on the rare occasions that Sunggyu and Dongwoo were both busy you would hang out with him. He was like a brother you could always rely on. Woohyun pulled you into a hug before letting you into your hotel and rested his head on top of yours, “Just remember everything happens for a reason.” You took his words into consideration while thinking about everything that happened during your trip. “I guess it does. Thank you again, Woohyun. I'm glad I was able to spend Christmas with you. Even though we didn't do anything special, it felt like I was home, which I hope you can visit soon!”

“I hope so too. But you know, the life of a male model is so demanding, especially when you’ve got a face and body like mine,” he said proudly. “Yeah uh huh, whatever you say,” you said before hugging him one last time before separating yourself from him. “Bye, Woohyun!” You yelled behind you while entering your hotel. You showered then proceeded to pack your bags. You finished quickly and thought about calling Dongwoo but your comfy bed was calling you to rid yourself of the lingering hangover. “I’ll see him tomorrow anyway,” you mumbled to yourself before falling into sleep.