of Phone Calls and Pianos

Box of Chocolates

A distant ringing sound made Tiffany raise her buried head from her pillow. She fiddled through the sheets, trying to find the small device. After finding it under another pillow, Tiffany -eyes still closed- slide a finger to the right of the screen and pressed it on her ear.

 

She doesn't bother speaking, letting the person on the other line say the usual greeting. Except there was only ruffled  sound coming from the end of the line. She pulled the phone away from her ear and squinted her eyes to glance at the time and to see who the caller is.

 

Just a little past nine, she's slept for few a hours already. She was not surprised to read the familiar name on the screen, but it did make her heart beat faster than she would admit. The name sure eased the frown that was painted on her face for weeks now, but not so much as to finally put a smile. She pressed the phone back to her ear.

 

It was Jessica's fifth call in one day.

 

"Soojoung-ah, hana, deul, set."

 

Tiffany raised a brow when she heard a soft but very clear piano sound, which apparently played by Krystal. She couldn't figure out what the song is, so she continued to listen.

 

When it rains, I'll be your umbrella

When it's dark, I'll be your light

And I know, and I know, and I know

That you're sad, I know

Your heavy burdens, I will carry them

 

Tiffany shifted her position and laid flat on her back. Smiling has never been so tempting, she swallowed a bitter laugh at the thought of how it's almost sad that she had to fight back the feelings of guilt just so that could curve up even just a tad bit.

 

You being next to me, I love it very much

Being together with you, I love it very much

And I know it's on your mind

Baby now, I'm never ever leaving by your side

I'll be your song

 

Another minute, the song reaches up to its final note. Tiffany could barely hear the faint "Himnae, unnie," by Krystal before she heard the sound of a closing door. She decided to be the first to speak this time.

 

"Jessi?"

 

"Tiff." Tiffany's voice sounded hoarse. Jessica couldn't tell if she just woke up from slumber or if she just finished another round of painful crying.

 

"Did you just woke up?"

 

"Yeah, I did. It's not like I have anything to do anyway."

 

Jessica knew it was a shot through an open wound. What could she possibly say? There's a reason why she chose to sing a song rather than say anymore of those comforting words. Words that Tiffany have probably heard a hundred times from hundreds of people. Jessica also know that those words will never going to be enough to block the screaming critics and the whispered curses.

 

"You'll be alright, Tiff."

 

"I know." Tiffany knows well enough that Jessica didn’t believe those words, neither did she. But it doesn’t mean she can’t try and convince herself once again, "I know, thanks a lot, Jessi, and Krystal too. The song was really good."

 

“Yeah? I mean, I could’ve written one myself but I think it did it’s purpose.”

 

“You’re too lazy to write a song, Jessi.”

 

“I could try, for you.”

 

An audible laugh finally managed to escape from Tiffany’s mouth. For a moment Jessica wasn’t able to say anything, Tiffany just laughed and it was all she needed to hear.

 

For weeks Jessica never failed to give Tiffany a call or two -or more, she openly admits- just so that she could give the needed cheer and reassurance. But it wasn’t until that very moment she realized that she too, needed Tiffany to tell her it’s going to be okay, slowly, but it will be. Jessica needed to know Tiffany is indeed strong enough to get past this, and the feeling of hearing Tiffany laugh is so rewarding Jessica wants to take it all for herself.

 

“Can I come over?”

 

“I thought you’d never ask.”

 
---
 
a/n: ...hi? OTL it's been years since I posted anything here and so much happened in between. idek why I still have new subscribers lol /hugs every one of you~/ I hope you're still out there kekeke (even though it's so short OTL) I'm not even sure why I updated XD anyway, let's all give Tiffany our supprort, and hope that we hear good news from her soon~
 
on a different note, idk if anyone of you guys heard about the incident that happened in one of the cities here in the Philippines (I happen to live in that city) but I humbly ask for your prayers for all of the victims and their family #PrayForDavao.
 
Please be safe everyone, thanks for reading~ /hugs/