Chapter 2

The Partnership

Kyuhyun drove the black Mercedes as fast as possible through the traffic.

“Give me the details Donghae.” He demanded throwing a side glance towards the agent sitting in the passenger seat.

“Sir, according to the security footage of the prison he walked out of the prison yesterday during lunch.”

“What?” Kyuhyun exclaimed as he took a sharp right turn. “Are you telling me that Lee ing Sungmin walked out of a high security prison in broad daylight?”

“Umm…yes sir. Apparently he has stolen a guard’s uniform while he was working during the laundry duties.”

“Of course he would.” Kyuhyun muttered under his breath, narrowly avoiding a car. “If he escaped yesterday why haven’t I been informed then?”

“The prison police department has put up the usual search measures hoping to catch him before coming to you.”

“You won’t catch Lee Sungmin with roadblocks and wanted posters. Get the warden on line and ask him who the last visitor of Sungmin is.”

Donghae proceeded to do as he was ordered. He nodded at the information he got through the phone and looked at Kyuhyun.

“It was two weeks ago and someone called Lee Sungjin.” He informed.

“Of course. I should have known.” Kyuhyun muttered to himself before barking out another order. “Find out Lee Sungjin’s address and send back up there. Tell them I’ll be there and not to initiate anything.”

Donghae hastily contacted the headquarters and transferred the orders. Then he got the required address and informed the detective who made a sharp U turn and headed to the said location.

“Wait, wasn’t his sentence supposed end in just two weeks?” Kyuhyun asked while avoiding another car.

“Yes, sir. That’s what surprised the prison guards. He was on his best behaviour for the past four years but something must have triggered for him to escape.”

“Not something. It’s someone.” Kyuhyun said as he skidded to a stop in front of an apartment building, now surrounded with several policemen and a SWAT team. The detective looked at the questioning look on the agent and answered, “Sungjin” before stepping out of the car.

 Kyuhyun motioned others to stay stand by and walked into the building with his gun outstretched in front of him. He walked into the empty apartment cautiously, being alert of the quietness of the surrounding. He slowly approached the supposedly empty living room which had only few chairs and a sofa.

He stopped in his track as he saw a blond mass of hair propped against the armrest of the sofa. His footsteps were audible on the wooden floor as walked towards the sofa. The blond mass moved with the approaching footsteps and the person who belonged the hair moved from his laid position and sat up on the sofa. Kyuhyun rounded a chair and loomed towards the said person, gun still outstretched in front of him. He let out a sigh recognizing the person whom now he could see was cradling an empty wine bottle in his hands.

“I see your brother moved out.” Kyuhyun said, breaking the silence. “He left you a message in that?” He added sympathetically at the lack of response, indicating the bottle.

“The bottle was the message.” Sungmin said monotonously as he looked up at the detective.

“Are you carrying-”

“You know I don’t like guns.” Sungmin replied the unfinished question as he eyed the gun pointed at him.

Kyuhyun chuckled lowly and holstered his gun. “New hair.” He stated plainly, looking at the other man. Sungmin simply shrugged at the comment.

“I see you’re wearing the same jacket as the last time you arrested me.” Said Sungmin.

“Really? Didn’t notice it. It’s becoming a habit.” Kyuhyun said with a smile.

“It’s been awhile.” He added at the lack of response.

“Yes. Few years, give or take.” Sungmin replied.

The radio hung with the holster emitted static interrupting their conversation. Kyuhyun took the radio to the mouth and talked to the mouth piece, “Target located and unarmed.”

“Are we surrounded?”

“Yes, including SWAT. They’ll be here any minute.”

Sungmin nodded at the new information. He stood up from his seat placing the empty bottle beside the sofa and walked towards the detective and only came to a stop when he was right in front of him.

“Why did you do it now? You only had two weeks left.” Kyuhyun asked the shorter man.

“Guess you already figured it out.” Replied Sungmin nonchalantly indicating the empty apartment.

“Sungjin visited you at the prison for the last time and decided to disappear?” Asked Kyuhyun.

“Missed Sungjin by two days.” Sungmin stated, stretching his hands in front of him in defeat so the other can cuff him.

“You know, they’ll give another four years for this.” Replied Kyuhyun, moving his hand towards the back pocket to reach the handcuffs causing his jacket to open wider.

Something glinted in Sungmin’s eyes as he suddenly reached in for something inside the jacket. Kyuhyun’s hand instinctively went to the holster where he held his gun. Sungmin held up his hands in surrender, calming the detective. Then he swiftly reached in the detective’s jacket and grabbed an evidence bag.

Sungmin took a hard look at the thin plastic strip inside the bag before holding it in front of the detective.

“Do you know what this is?”

“No. I got this from a case I was working on before they pull me out to find you.”

“I’ll tell you what this is if you agree to meet me at the prison.” He said hurriedly as more footsteps were audible from the distance.

Kyuhyun looked at the blonde disbelievingly, taking the evidence back. He was about to deny when the later interrupted him.

“One meeting. Just one.” Sungmin said urgently.

“Fine.”

“It’s a security strip for new Japanese tenthousand yen bills.”

With the last word SWAT team barged in and cuffed Sungmin’s hand behind him and ushered him out of the apartment.

 


 

 

 

One week later.

At the prison.

Kyuhyun sat across from Sungmin in the visiting room who was wearing the bright orange prison jumpers.

Kyuhyun looked him for few minutes before letting out a chuckle. “You look like a fried shrimp.”

Sungmin let out a groan, running his fingers through the blond locks. “Whatever. How did your case go?” He asked looking at the detective.

Kyuhyun straightened on his seat and looked directly at the prisoner. “Japanese government ask me how I knew. It wasn’t even out yet but the strip was perfectly forged. So how did you know?”

“Oh come on Kyuhyun. That’s my line of work.”

“Of course. A con man would know about a forgery.” Kyuhyun muttered to himself. Then looked back at the prisoner. “I promised a meeting and we are meeting.” He said with a questioning look.

“Do you think you’ll catch him?” Sungmin asked interrupting the detective. “The Sherriff.”

Kyuhyun widened his eyes at the mention of the name. “How did you know about him?”

Sungmin chuckled before answering, “Well you know about me so it’s only fair I know about you too.”

“Okay this is going nowhere. I don’t know why I’m wasting my time here with an already caught criminal than solving other crimes at my office.” Kyuhyun said, standing up to leave.

“Wait.” Sungmin said hastily before Kyuhyun could step away from him. “I’ll help you catch him.”

Kyuhyun the spot staring at Sungmin. “And how do you plan to do it. I don’t think you’re allowed to Facebook message me in the prison.”

“Ha ha. Very funny.” Sungmin replied motioning the detective to sit back down. “I researched. I can get released under your custody as a confidential informant with a GPS tracking anklet. You get my services and I get to breathe fresh air.” Sungmin said with a shrug as if it was the most obvious thing.

“You want to work as my CI?” Kyuhyun asked doubtfully. “I know you Sungmin. The minute you set foot out of this prison you’re gonna run.”

“I promise I’m not gonna run. Besides new anklets have never been tampered with. So I won’t be able to get away.”

“There’s always a first time.” Kyuhyun replied shortly and got up to leave.

“No, Kyuhyun. Listen to me-” Sungmin said desperately as Kyuhyun walked away from him. He couldn’t finish his sentence as Kyuhyun stepped out the door with a ‘Sorry Sungmin, not gonna work’.

Sungmin slammed his fist on the table in frustration. His head hanged low as he ran his fingers through his hair. Kyuhyun was his only ticket out of the prison and he walked away. Sungmin sighed heavily as he was led back to his cell by a guard.

 


 

A/N:

Hi guys! Back with another update!

Please tell me what you guys think!

And thanks so much for all the love! heart