Chapter 5

The Partnership

Kyuhyun dropped Sungmin in front of his building and drove away bidding good bye.

Sungmin nodded at Siwon who was sitting in the living room and made his way up the staircase leading to his apartment. He turned the door knob and stopped suddenly as the knob turned without a problem. He was sure he locked the door before leaving in the morning. He hesitantly opened door leading to the dark apartment and seeing no movement he made quiet steps further into the room. He stopped dead in his steps when he heard somebody clear their throat. He swiftly switched on the light and turned just in time to see a rather skinny man sitting on a chair in the middle of the room with an amused smile grazing his lips.

Sungmin also broke into a grin recognizing the man.

“What the Hyukjae! You nearly gave me a heart attack.” Sungmin cursed but his features showing extreme happiness seeing his best friend.

The man addressed as Hyukjae got up from his chair and walked over to Sungmin still smiling at his friend. “Yeah, nice to see you too.” He said with a wider grin showing his gums.

“Aww…come here you monkey.” Sungmin hugged his best friend, happy to see the man after four years of imprisonment.

Both of them calmed down after few minutes and settled themselves at the table with a newly opened bottle of wine and two glasses.

“How the hell did you find me?” Sungmin asked to which he received a look saying ‘that is not a question a con man should ask from another con man’. “Alright, that was a stupid question.” Sungmin said with a chuckle swallowing some wine. “Next question. How have you been?”

“Well, it wasn’t much fun working alone but I managed.” Hyukjae replied with a shrug. “My turn. Heard you changed sides. Working for the police?”

“I had to Hyukjae. I have to find Sungjin and Kyuhyun was my only way out.”

“Does he know you’re going after Sungjin?”

“No. He would definitely put me back in jail if he finds out I’m going against his warnings. But I have to find my brother. Something’s tells me he’s in trouble.”

“Do you know where to start?” Hyukjae asked with a sigh.

“Yeah. He left me a message.” Replied Sungmin enthusiastically and grabbed his bag which held the empty bottle Kyuhyun gave him. Hyukjae gaped at the bottle which was placed in front of his nose. Then he looked back to his friend.

“It’s an empty bottle.” Hyukjae simply stated.

“Yeah. The message is in the label.” With that, Sungmin slowly ripped the label off and held it against the light that hanged over the table. Both of them could see a set of numbers slightly visible against the light.

“It’s lime juice.” Sungmin replied to Hyukjae’s questioning look.

“Ah, the disappearing ink method.” Hyukjae replied in understanding.

“Yeah, we used to send messages to each other for fun when we were kids.” Sungmin replied. He held the label against the light and wrote down the numbers on another paper.

Hyukjae let out a low whistle when Sungmin finished writing down the numbers. “They are coordinates.”

“Yeah.” Sungmin switched on the laptop - which Kyuhyun was kind enough to give to him - and typed in the coordinates on the map. He wrote the address he read off the map on a paper and gave it to his friend. “I need your help in this one Hyukjae. I can’t go myself. I’m on a leash.” Sungmin said pointing to his anklet.

Hyukjae nodded in agreement as he pocketed the piece of paper.

After that they fell into a casual conversation of their days together working on jobs.

Hyukjae was talking about a forgery they did together when Sungmin remembered something.

“Hyuk, do you know who is The Sherriff?”

Hyukjae thought for a moment before answering. “I haven’t met him personally. But his name is Chris Lee. He uses a books importing company as a front for his backhanded business. He is quite well known for forgeries among our people.”

“Do you know where’s he set up now?”

“Why do you wanna know?” Hyukjae asked suspiciously.

“It’s for the case I’m working with Kyuhyun. I work for the good guys now, remember?” Sungmin replied with a wink.

“Alright fine. Give me some time. I’ll pull some strings.” Hyukjae swallowed the rest of his wine and got up to leave. “I got to go now. See you later. Oh and by the way call me Eunhyuk.”

“That’s the name I’m using now. That’s my cover.” Hyukjae shrugged at Sungmin raised eyebrow and stepped out of the door and disappeared down the stairs.

 


 

A/N:

Oh my god...so sorry for this late and short chapter. I'm just too busy with my studies since university has already started for me. So I won't be able to update more often but I'll try my best.

Hope you guys enjoyed. And please leave a comment. I would love to know what you think. Love you all <3