Chapter 3

The Partnership

A/N:

Hi guys. Thanks so muchheart for all the encouragement and not hating me. Here's the new update. Hope you guys can enjoy. Please tell me what you think. It means a lot to me.

 


 

One week later

Seoul Police Department – Special Investigation Department

Kyuhyun swivelled on his chair, deep in his thoughts, looking through some documents. A knock on his office door brought him back to the reality.

“Come in.”

At Kyuhyun’s invitation Donghae walked in carrying a bundle of files.  One look at the name on the document his boss was holding explained why Kyuhyun looked distracted.

“Kyuhyun, are you still thinking about Sungmin’s offer?” Donghae asked plopping himself on a chair in front of Kyuhyun’s desk. He and Kyuhyun were close friends since university. So talking informally wasn’t a problem when they weren’t in official situations. Donghae looked at the furrowed brows of his friend and sighed. “Wasn’t he supposed to be released today?”

“Yeah. If that idiot didn’t try to pull a Houdini act he would have.” Kyuhyun replied with a shrug. "But yeah, I was thinking about his offer. He’s smart. He could be useful.”

“Well then why don’t you take the offer?”

“Because he’s Lee Sungmin and he always have a reason. I’m pretty sure he’s not offering to help out of the goodness of his heart.”

“On his side, he gets to be out in the world - may be at least the city.” Donghae replied with a shrug. “And it’s not like he get to go anywhere he wants. The anklet would only give him two mile radius and all of his whereabouts will be recorded in the servers. Plus, he’ll be working under you. So basically we’ll only be giving him more space than his cell and better clothes while we get to use his experience in forgeries.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. He’ll be a good asset. But I’m not really sure about the idea.”

 


 

The prison.

Sungmin lied on his bunk bed wondering how the hell he was going to spend another four years behind the metal bars. He needed to find his brother. The last time his brother met him at the prison, Sungjin has looked trouble though he tried to hide it from him, which made Sungmin all the more suspicious. Sungmin was feeling restless inside as he didn’t know what bothered his baby brother.

“Sungmin-ssi, you have a letter.” His stream of thoughts were interrupted as the guard threw a letter at him through the bars.

Sungmin got up from his bed and grabbed the letter which was already opened. Actually it wasn’t surprise since the guards screen all the things that travel in and out of the prison for security measures. He sat on the bed and opened the letter which didn’t state a sender’s name.

                              Ksnw Qgmj Tjglzwj – S

Sungmin stared at the bunch of gibberish on the small piece of paper that was in the opened envelop. Well, that was probably why the guards just gave him the letter. It simply didn’t make any sense. At least that was what the guards thought.

Sungmin smirked and grabbed the envelope and his sole possession, a pen. He knew what the letter meant. At least he knew how to understand the letter.

Sungmin knew who the letter was from. It was a secret code him and his best friend used in emergencies. It was plain and simple. It was practically a no brainer. So it was more convenient since the others wouldn’t expect them to use a simple code and hide the messages in plain sight.

The last letter ‘S’ was the key to the code. He turned over the envelope and started scribbling.

Finally he deciphered code and looked at his handiwork.

               Save Your Brother

Sungmin stared at the single sentence written on the paper. It took a few seconds for the idea to sink in for him. His brother was in danger. If his friend, whom he know is as capable as he is, wanted his assistance to save his brother, it meant Sungjin was in deep .

Sungmin’s blood went cold at the realisation. His baby brother was in danger. He had to help his brother and he had no way of doing so. His only legal way out of the prison had walked away. He could always try to escape but he knew that Kyuhyun will chase on his . He knew the latter is a good detective and also a persistent one at that. So he would eventually catch up to him. And even if he managed to get away he couldn’t search for his brother freely if Kyuhyun was on his tail.

He cursed himself for his momentary weakness where he stopped at his brother’s apartment and eventually ended up back in the prison. But well he was rather disoriented to find his baby brother missing so it was reasonable he lost his game for a bit.

Sungmin swept his fingers through his hair in distress. He was at a loss.

 


 

Three days later.

The prison entrance.

Cho Kyuhyun leaned against his car as he watched Sungmin walk out of the prison gates clad in the attire he was arrested in. Sungmin beamed at the detective as he walked over to the later.

“Show me.” Kyuhyun said pointedly indicating the blonde’s ankle.

Sungmin hitched his pants leg up revealing the tracking anklet around his right ankle.

“So now I’m your CI with GPS?” He asked looking at Kyuhyun.

“Yeah. You know how this works?”

“I’m being released under your custody and this thing tags along with me. Am I missing anything?”

“Yes. This is a temporary arrangement. If you help me catch The Sherriff I’ll consider making this permanent. And if you ever get tempted to go after your brother, don’t. Because if you run I’ll catch you. I caught you twice and I’m pretty sure I won’t fail on my third time.”

“Look Kyuhyun, the empty bottle meant goodbye. So I won’t go after him.”

“Good.” Kyuhyun pushed himself off the car and got inside. “Get in.” He ordered to the blonde who hastily walked around and seated himself on the passenger seat.

“Where are we going?” Sungmin asked as both of them settled on the seat.

“To find you a new place.” Kyuhyun replied shortly as he turned the car the drove towards the city.

 

Kyuhyun parked the car in front of a small building with a simple banner saying ‘MOTEL’ which was the only indication to what the crappy building was supposed to be. Kyuhyun walked inside the building followed by a slightly disturbed Sungmin. They were immediately met by the reception area where a man with an unshaven face stood with a toothy grin which was border lining with ‘creepy’, in Sungmin’s opinion.

“I’m detective Cho and I made a reservation here. Can I get the key?”

The ‘receptionist’ immediately grabbed a key from the drawer and handed it to Kyuhyun.

Sungmin scrunched his face and dragged Kyuhyun away from the lobby desk and whispered, “Do I really have to stay here?”

Kyuhyun didn’t bother to keep his voice down as he answered with a shrug. “Well, better than your cell, isn’t it? So enjoy!”

Sungmin let out a disgruntled sound as he looked at the ‘receptionist’ who was now busy swatting the flies that probably was bothering him. Kyuhyun walked back to the car leaving Sungmin to fill out the necessary documents.

Sungmin looked up from the papers as Kyuhyun came towards him with a stack of files.

“Here’s your homework.” Kyuhyun said shoving the files to the blonde’s hands.  He looked the dismay on the blonde’s face and added, “Fine, you can move if you find a better place.”

Sungmin instantly brightened up. “Okay, see you tomorrow then!”

“Yeah, I’ll pick you up.” Kyuhyun replied walking out the door. “You can only walk within two miles of this place.” He said warningly before completely disappearing through the door.

Sungmin dragged himself inside his newly rented room along with the stack of files Kyuhyun left with him. He looked around the room and found a small chair and a desk with a table lamp and a single bed which were the sole furniture for the room. The bed spread which was obviously supposed to be white took a slightly brown colour. Letting out a disgusted noise, Sungmin walked to the desk and sat himself on the chair. He started to skim through his ‘homework’ and soon he got bored. Deciding he needs to find new clothes, Sungmin left the documents on the desk and walked out, grabbing the few bills Kyuhyun had left him and locking the door behind himself.

After ten minutes of walking Sungmin found himself in the local thrift shop. He walked around the small shop, stopping at few racks when something nice caught his attention.

He reached and grabbed a particularly nice jacket when he heard a deep voice from near the counter.

“I want to donate some of my old clothes.” A tall handsome man, carrying a large bag was speaking with the sales lady.  

Sungmin inched closer to see what the man was trying to donate.

“Is this Devore?” He pipped looking at a pair of pants laying on the counter. The comment has obviously interested the tall man as he looked curiously at the blonde man. 

“It’s very rare to see a homeless guy who knows his brands.” The tall man said looking curiously at Sungmin.

“What makes you think I’m homeless?” Sungmin asked with raised eyebrows.

The tall man immediately smile apologetically. “Sorry. It’s just most of the people who come to this thrift shop are homeless people.” He said scratching the back of his neck.

“Oh, it’s okay.” Sungmin smiled showing he wasn’t offended. “Lee Sungmin.” He said stretching his right hand in front of him.

“Siwon. Choi Siwon.” The tall man introduced himself taking Sungmin’s hand in a handshake.

“Do you live close by?” Sungmin asked, smiling sweetly.

 


 

A/N:

Oh by the way guy, here's something fun for you to do. Try to figure out the code Sungmin got from his friend. (I will eventually reveal it to you)