Chapter 4

The Partnership

A/N: OMG guys! So sorry for not updating sooner! /begs for mercy/ 

 


 

The next morning Kyuhyun stopped his car at the entrance and walked into the motel. The man from the previous day bid him good morning and handed a small piece of paper. “This is from the guy from yesterday.”

Kyuhyun opened the folded paper imagining the worst. Did he escape already? Did he run away? But he let out a breath after seeing the message on the paper.

               Moved half a mile away. Meet me at the address on the back of this note. ;-)

Kyuhyun flipped the paper over to see an address written neatly.  Kyuhyun walked back to the car mumbling a small ‘thank you’ to the man at the reception.

After few minutes of driving Kyuhyun stopped in front of the said address. The house was a modern built three story building with a rooftop balcony. Kyuhyun hesitantly walked to the front door and buzzed the doorbell. No later than few seconds a maid opened the door for him revealing a luxurious interior. How the hell did Sungmin manage to get this?

Concluding he has the wrong address Kyuhyun turned to leave, “Sorry. I think I got the wrong address.”

Before he could take a step back a tall man appeared from the hallway. “Wait, you must be detective Cho. I’m Choi Siwon. Sungmin’s landlord.” He said extending his hand.

“Nice to meet you.” Kyuhyun replied hastily taking the hand.

“Sungmin is on the third floor. Please go ahead.” Siwon said indicating to the stair case. Kyuhyun muttered a thank you and led himself up the stairs.

Apparently Sungmin was residing on the top floor with the open balcony.

Kyuhyun knocked on the door leading to the floor and was soon greeted with a grinning Sungmin. “Good morning detective.”

Kyuhyun walked in without a word.

“Make yourself at home while I get ready.” Sungmin said and disappeared through a wooden door in the corner.

Kyuhyun curiously looked around the place. The floor was like an open apartment with floor length windows. A luxuries bed was placed against one of the walls and rest of the space was occupied with modern and lavish furniture. The wooden door in the far corner obviously led to the bathroom and a glass sliding door led to the open balcony.

Taking Sungmin’s words, Kyuhyun grabbed himself a cup and pored himself a steaming cup of coffee and walked through the sliding doors and into the open balcony. The scenery from the balcony was mesmerising. It overlooked most part of the city and the morning sun was casted over the city magnificently.

The sound of a door opening brought the detective back from his thoughts. He turned to see Sungmin coming out of the bathroom already dressed in the complete three piece suit.

“Nice view.” Kyuhyun stated looking back at the skyline.

“Yeah, way better than the last place. Don’t you think?” Sungmin asked joining him at the balcony.

“How did you con that poor guy to give this place so cheap?”

“Aww Mr. Cho. I’m hurt.” Sungmin replied with his fist over his chest, in a mocking hurt. “I didn’t con Siwon. We met at the thrift shop. We talked and we hit it off.”

“Alright. Whatever. We got to get going.”

“Well, aren’t you grumpy?” Said Sungmin, rising an eyebrow. “Are you that hurt I rejected your choice of residence for me?”

“It’s not that. This this how it all starts.” Kyuhyun replied indicating the expensive furniture. “You start with these ‘not-a-scheme’ schemes and you’re right back on committing frauds that get you a one way ticket to the prison.”

“Look Kyuhyun. I understand our deal and I promised to go by your rules.”

“Fine. You cross one line, I’m hauling your sorry back to prison myself.”

“Deal. Now can we move on?” Sungmin opened the door for the detective with a grin gracing his lips.

Sungmin spoke up again when he took the passenger side of the Mercedes. “So where are we going?”

“Airport.” Kyuhyun replied shortly. “Oh by the way, I have a gift for you.” He added as an afterthought, pointing to the back seat.

Sungmin squirmed in his seat to take look at the thing on the back seat. It was the bottle Sungjin left for him.

“Aww… I didn’t get you any.” Sungmin replied with a grin, turning to Kyuhyun, obviously pleased to have the bottle back.

“Oh, don’t worry your pretty .” Kyuhyun retorted to the snark, which received a snigger from Sungmin in return.

 


 

After a while of driving they reached the airport and was greeted by an awaiting Donghae.

“Good morning Kyuhyun.”

“Good morning sunshine. I’m Lee Sungmin.” Sungmin introduced himself to Donghae before Kyuhyun could say anything. “You look way too innocent to work in the police department.” Sungmin added sweetly with a flirtatious smile.

Donghae raised an eyebrow at the remark and replied flatly. “Not interested.”

Kyuhyun sniggered at the conversation and seeing that Sungmin was about to retort, he quickly intervened. “Alright stop with the flirting. Donghae, where’s the suspect?”

“He’s held at the security section. I’ll take you to him.” The agent replied and took the lead.

“What are we doing here anyway?” Sungmin asked falling into step beside Kyuhyun.

“The guy’s name is Joowon. He was red flagged since we suspected him to be working for The Sherriff. He has made several trips from Japan during the past month but without any reliable evidence we couldn’t search him.”

“How did he got caught this time?”

“There were some errors in his paper work at the customs of the airport. So now we get to search whatever he was carrying.”

“We’re here.” Donghae interrupted opening a door to the room where the suspect was held.

A man in a tweed suit was sitting at a metal table in the well lit room with one hand cuffed to the chair. He looked up in panic as the three men entered the room.

“I’m detective Cho.” Kyuhyun announced. “Please sit down sir. We just need to search your belongings. Consider it as a routine check.” He said sternly before the man could say anything.

He then walked to the table where the man’s hand luggage was placed. “Are these all your belongings? Do you have any other luggage?” Kyuhyun asked looking over his shoulder at the suspect.

“No sir. That is all.”

Kyuhyun nodded at the reply and beckoned Sungmin to come over and emptied the contents of the luggage on to the table. Several books fell out of the bag with a clatter. They were copies of the same book, ‘A Collection of Nursery Rhymes’.

“What the hell-”

Kyuhyun went through the books with furrowed eyebrows. He took one of the books in his hand and flipped it over and then opened the book to look for anything suspicious. It was like any other book with hard cover and a blank page before the all the printed pages started and another blank page after all the story.

Kyuhyun looked at Sungmin who was also examining a book and then he turned to Donghae and asked, “How many of these are there?”

“Two hundred and this is the third time he travelled from Japan.”

“Speaking of which, I don’t think it’s illegal to import books.” A voice from the doorway interrupted the conversation. “I’m the lawyer for the person you’re holding.” The owner of the voice introduced himself before Kyuhyun could protest.

“I have sorted out the error in his paper work and since importing books aren’t illegal you have to release him.”

Kyuhyun glared the lawyer before signalling a security guard to release the man.

“Well, thank you detective. We’ll be on our way.” The lawyer ushered his client out of the room after the man collected all his belongings.

Kyuhyun turned towards Sungmin as the two men disappeared from the doorway. “So as a reformed professional counterfeiter what is your theory? Why would The Sherriff need a bunch of nursery rhymes?”

“No, those books aren’t just nursery rhymes.”

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow questioningly at Sungmin’s reply.

“Did you see the blank pages at the front and the back?”

Kyuhyun nodded, signalling Sungmin to go on.

“Those were the type of paper used to print money. And trust me I know.” Added Sungmin, seeing the sceptic look on the detective’s face. “He probably used the books as a cover to smuggle the paper into the country.”

“How do you know?”

“That’s what I’d do.” Sungmin replied with a shrug. “And the safe that you tried to open, I think the chemical was supposed to destroy everything in the box including the magnetic strip you found. And I bet you anything that The Sherriff had more than one copy of it.”

“I see your point. So if we consider your theory correct, how many bills can he cut out from the books?” Asked Kyuhyun.

“I know my theory is correct.” Sungmin stated and started to calculate off his mind. “Well, considering the size of a page I’d say two bills from one page. So four bills from one book. And two hundred books in one go and three times-”

“Equals 2400 bills of tenthousand yen.” Finished Kyuhyun. “Damn it. We need to find who The Sherriff is and we have to do it fast!”

“And Donghae, monitor Mr. Joowon’s travelling out of the country. But I highly doubt it though since the today’s incident he would lay low until he feels safe.” Kyuhyun added walking out of the room.

 


 

A/N:

Hope I didn't disappoint you guys!^^ Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think. :) Just so you know, your comments makes me so happy.