Chapter 6

The Partnership

Alarm on the bedside table started to beep the next morning urging Sungmin to wake up from his peaceful slumber. Sungmin s his hand out from the jumble of sheets that covered him and reached out for the alarm clock. After several failed attempts he managed to switch it off and he lazily fumbled out of the comfort of his bed and headed towards the bathroom to get ready for the new day.

After a cold shower early in the morning and his favourite coffee, Sungmin felt fully energized. He reached for his watch on the table and turned to leave his apartment but he did a double take and turned back towards the table as he saw a carefully folded paper. He was sure that it wasn’t there when he went to sleep. Taken over by curiosity, Sungmin took the paper and opened the note which had an address written in the familiar messy handwriting.

How the hell did Hyukjae managed to get into the apartment in the middle of the night? Sungmin wondered to himself. But he knew what exactly the address meant.

Sungmin pocketed the paper and walked out feeling good about the day ahead.

**

Sungmin walked into his boss’s office next morning wearing a triumphant smile with the newly acquired information.

Kyuhyun looked up from the file in his hand and set his eyes on the widely grinning Sungmin who reached in his pocket and fished out a folded piece of paper and placing it on Kyuhyun’s desk. Kyuhyun wearily took the paper in his hand and read through what was written on it.

“This is an address of a warehouse few miles away. What do you want me to do with it?” He finally voiced a question after seeing what was in the paper.

“That’s where ‘The Sherriff’ is. Go get’em tiger!” Sungmin replied plopping himself on the chair opposite Kyuhyun and bringing his feet up to the desk in a swift move.

“Get your feet off!” Kyuhyun snapped at his CI but looked at him curiously. “Are you sure? How did you get this?”

Sungmin put his feet down muttering ‘grumpy’ under his breath. But he looked at the detective seriously. “Yes, I’m sure.” Then he hesitated before answering the next question. He couldn’t possibly reveal Hyukjae’s identity to the detective considering the said man was hell bent on staying anonymous. “Let’s just say I used my special connections as a counterfeiter.”

“Reformed counterfeiter with ‘reformed’ as the key word.” Kyuhyun corrected with a pointed look towards Sungmin. “And please tell me you didn’t do anything illegal to get this.”

“No I didn’t do anything illegal.” Which actually was the truth since it was Hyukjae who got him the address. “Happy? Do you want to know my story of finding the address or do you want to catch a criminal? Now let’s just go.”

“Okay, I’ll take your word for it.” Replied Kyuhyun reluctantly, getting up to leave. “We’re just going to scout the place and try to find something so we can get a warrant for a proper arrest.”

Both of them took their usual places in the Mercedes and Kyuhyun drove towards the address.

After about half an hour of driving Sungmin suddenly realised something. He spun towards Kyuhyun as much as the seat belt allowed and voiced out his worry.

“Kyuhyun, we drove more than two miles now. Doesn’t my anklet notify the headquarters?”

“It does. But they know you’re with me. And we’re here.” Kyuhyun replied looking at the surroundings. He parked the car few meters away from the warehouse and decided to walk to the place to not attract any unnecessary attention.

Both of them came to a stop in front of the said warehouse. Nobody was seem to be in the vicinity and the whole area looked perfectly abandoned to any on lookers.

“Are you sure this is the right place?”

“Yeah. Positive.” Sungmin replied knowing full well Hyukjae wouldn’t give him the wrong information. But Kyuhyun’s doubt was reasonable considering not a trace of a human being is in the line of sight. Sungmin ran his eyes around in bewilderment when suddenly a small noise caught his attention.

“Hang on. Can you hear that?” Sungmin asked slowly trying to listen more closely to the soft hum through the door to the warehouse. And by the look of Kyuhyun’s face, the detective also could hear the sound of machines humming and whirring.

“They are printing them right now.”

“Yeah. Go and arrest him.” Sungmin urged the detective, wondering why the later was not doing anything.

“No. I can’t.”

“What do you mean you can’t? A criminal is printing fake money right behind that door.”

“I know. But I can’t just barge in without a warrant. It’s against the law. And just a simple noise won’t grant me a warrant either.” Kyuhyun replied, apparently frustrated with the situation at hand “So bottom line the judge won’t grant a warrant without hard evidence which we don’t have.”

“So are you just going to let him walk away?”

“Well, according to our estimation he’ll need more days to completely finish printing the bills. So we’ll have to find our evidence by then.” Kyuhyun’s tone assured that the discussion was over. Both of them walked back towards the car helplessly.

**

Sungmin was back in his apartment after the frustrating stakeout.

This case he was working with Kyuhyun was very crucial to his own peace of mind. He would be kept as a permanent consultant only if this case succeeds. If by any chase The Sherriff slips through their hands, the results were apparent. Sungmin would be dragged back into the prison. And his only chance of finding his brother will be gone along with it.

Sungmin’s fingers ran through his hair in distress. It would only take only a couple of days to finish printing of the counterfeited bills and clearly that time wasn’t enough to collect enough hard evidence to earn a warrant. Apparently time wasn’t on his side.

Suddenly Sungmin straightened in his seat. He knew exactly what to do.

He got up from his seat and grabbed his jacket before walking out of the door, a smirk dancing on lips.

 


 

A/N:

Don't forget to leave some love^^ (I'll see you again after my finals)