Chapter 1

The Partnership

Sungmin looked at himself through the worn out mirror in the public restroom where he could barely find his reflection among all the stains and scratches on the mirror. His black hair was tousled due to the wind as he ran and finally found himself in the dingy restroom. And his bangs covered his right eye slightly. He ran his fingers over the defined jaw and feeling a stubble, he scowled at the mirror. His normally huge doe eyes looked sunken and the eye bags were more noticeable. He hadn’t slept in three days and was in need of a long sleep, but it wasn’t the right time. He ran his fingers through his hair and decided that it was time to get to work. He walked to the restroom door and locked it preventing any intruders.

Then he reached for his backpack and laid few bottles and few other necessities along with a razor in the sink under the battered mirror. First he opened the bottle with hair bleaching and started on his ‘work’.

The whole process has taken him about two hours and he finally looked at his reflection, admiring his work of art. The result he saw on the mirror was worth all the hassle. His normal black hair has changed to a platinum blonde and his long bang was shorted but still fell right above his eyes. And he had to admit that the new hair brought out his big dark eyes and young looks which always managed to earn a squeal from girls. He bow shaped lips formed a smirk, clearly satisfied at his own work.

His next step was to make himself look human before walking out of the restroom. He shook himself off the tattered and torn pants and the undershirt he was wearing. Then he reached back into his backpack and found the newly ‘borrowed’ jeans and a t-shirt.

Finally he looked at his reflection to observe the full effect of his makeover. He was clean shaven and his new hair colour has brought a younger vibe to his looks. And the tight fitting jeans and the t-shirt that hugged his buff body has only added to the whole transformation. All in all it was a very successful makeover.

Giving himself a pleased nod he packed the remainder in his backpack. Then he unlocked the door and walked away from the restroom throwing away his bag in the nearby dumpster.

 


 

Few men wearing suits were gathered around a glass table in a conference room in the headquarters of the Seoul police department. In the middle of the glass table stood a rather worn-out and a faded metal box which could be considered as a small safe. One of the men was trying to decipher the combination to the lock of the safe. His tie was loosened around his neck and his jacket was thrown onto a chair beside him. His ruffled hair and bloodshot eyes were mirrored in the rest of the people in the room indicating the long hours they spent at work.

The man fiddled with a small gadget pushed inside the lock, with his ear pressed close to the door of the metal box and suddenly he straightened as he heard a fain click behind the door when the first number correctly fell to the right place. He looked up at his boss with a triumphant smile on his face.

“The first number is one, Detective Cho.”

“Good work Donghae. Two more to go.” The slightly tall man addressed as ‘Detective Cho’ replied to subordinate.

“Finally!” Another let out a sigh of relief and slumped himself on to the nearest chair. “It’ll be easy to figure out the other two numbers.”

“Yesung hyung was right, the second number is four.” Donghae added after another click from the box. “And the last one is three.” Donghae added victoriously as the third and the last click was heard.

He slowly moved to open the door to the safe but suddenly their boss’s voice screamed “NO!” which was followed by loud hissing sound from the finally opened metal box. All the men around the table gathered to look inside the safe, closely followed by their fuming boss.

The contents in the box were papers with some kind of writings of sorts which started to melt away as some kind of a liquid seeped through the velvet encased inner walls of the metal safe.

Donghae gaped as the paper melted away and then turned to look at his boss who let out an irritated sound.

“I ing said no. Why the hell did you open it?” Detective Cho yelled at his agent. “Now there goes my last piece of evidence to catch ‘The Sherriff’ along with two years’ worth of man hours.” He added throwing his arms in the air in frustration and pacing the conference room.

“What happened?” Yesung asked trying not to anger his boss more than he already is.

“The password was one four three.” The detective paused and looked around his colleagues pointedly. He sighed and continued at the lack of response. “One four three…The Sherriff meant ‘I Love You’. He apparently knew we’ll find the safe and the bastard was mocking us. And he must have y trapped whatever was inside. I’m betting my money that it was an acid he used to destroy the papers.”

“What was in there?” One of the men at the back whispered but apparently heard by the detective as his nose flared in anger.

“I would never know that now, would I? These-”

“Umm…sir, there’s something left in the box.” Yesung said while looking through the remnants in the box. The paper has melted away into nothingness and only a thin plastic looking strip was sitting in the middle of the box.

Kyuhyun reached inside the box and grabbed the thin strip with a pair of forceps.

“Does anyone know what this is?” The detective looked at his colleagues, showing the thin strip stuck between the metal of the forceps.

“None? None of you?” He barked at the lack of response. “Aren’t you all supposed to be experts-”

The detective’s words were cut off by an urgent knocking on the closed door.

“Come in!”

“Sir, you are needed at the prison immediately. One of the prisoners escaped.” The agent at the doorway uttered, slightly breathless from all the running he must have done to reach his boss as fast as possible.

“Did I not tell you this case is more important than anything and not to disturb me for anything less?” Kyuhyun asked slowly, almost dangerously. “Besides, an escaped prisoner is a problem for the prison police unit. It doesn’t have to come directly to the investigation department.” Kyuhyun added, dismissing the new arrival with his hand and turning back towards his team.

“It was Lee Sungmin.”

Kyuhyun stopped in his tracks and turned sharply at the name of the escaped prisoner.

 


 

A/N:

Alright, here's the first chapter!

Please give me your thoughts guys. (I can totally handle both good and bad comments. Just fire away!)