Chapter 2 - A Wonderful Surprise

Love's Theory

He was lucky in all ways possible. His family had wealth sufficient enough for him to study in New Zealand and then in the United States. Even with all of these oppurtunities his parents gave him, there were no expectations for him to follow any particular paths. They only wished for him to live a life he loved. He was free to dream, free to live. Despite the freedom he had, the effect may have worked differently to the way expected. He wasn't sure what his future held. He was truly grateful for the experiences his parents provided but he was still unsure about what the future held for him after he finished school. The way he succeeded in most subjects all but helped the situation. He hadn't in particularly strong subjects nor any weak ones. There also weren't any subjects that he particularly enjoyed. 

There was a day in his life when he finally realised that there was something that he wouldn't mind doing for the rest of his life. During his childhood, the moments he was happiest were the moments spent in the kitchen with his mother. Whether it be baking or simply helping out, he loved to cook. He couldn't say that he was the best out there. He hadn't special talents but the thought appealed to him. The feeling he got when he ate his mother's food. It was a feeling he wanted to share. The times he had baked cupcakes or cooked for his mother, were still vivid in his mind. He always felt a sense of pride as his mother praised him on how well he did. He wanted to learn to cook. He wanted to learn culinary skills so he could pass on those same memories he felt with his own offspring. If it came to it, that would be the path he followed.

Though he had a plan, he would sometimes be hesitant. Most people have a dream whether it be to be an astronaut or an artist. Those people were lucky to him because they knew exactly what they wanted. He would be fine and would love to have a culinary career but if asked about his dream, he would find difficulty in answering.

California, USA - 2005

Bzzzt bzzzt ... Bzzt bzzt

"Hello?"

"Hey Khun, are you free later?"

"Yeah, why?"

"A few of my friends and I are headed to this Korean Music Festival, you should come!"

"Alright, send me the details"

"Okay, see you later"

 

Later that day, Nichkhun attended the music festival with his Korean friend. Nichkhun was living with his Aunt in California at the time. He hadn't known that had he declined the offer to goto that music festival, his life could have change forever. Nichkhun had spent an enjoyable few hours with his friends but he noted a strange man watching him. Gazing at his every movement. He felt a little insecure at first as you would having a strange man watching you. It was no different whether you were a boy or girl. When the man approached him, he was confused. Could he have been wanting to ask for directions or were his motives more sinister. Nichkhun later found out that the man was attempting to scout him. He was surprised to find another man approach him later that night for the same reasons.

At first, he had brushed it off. It didn't seem possible that both men had approached him asking him to join a company offering him the chance of stardom. He didn't know who these men were. They could have easily been lying. When he received a phone call from one of the compaines, he turned down the offer they gave him. He had never considered becoming some sort of popstar particularly because he couldn't sing or dance. He couldn't even speak Korean! When he told his close friends about the offer, they thought him mad. He was being offered a once in a life time chance to become a celebrity and he had turned it down. Later, he had received another phone call from the other company. He was told that it was the company of Rain. He recognised that name. He was sure that his friends had showed him the singer before. At that moment, it all started to come to life. It was a reality. He was really being offered yet another once in a life time oppurtunity. His luck had brought him another chance but was he willing to throw away his life as a normal boy for an uncertain future. What could he lose? He hadn't any dreams anyway.

Agreeing to meet up, Nichkhun auditioned in a very odd place. Starbucks. Starbucks was one of his favourite places to hang out but he would never have dreamed that it would be the place he would audition.

Nichkhun wiped the sweat, beading on his forehead. It was tough. The practices that he had been going through since arriving in Korea. Day in, day out, he had been rehearsing. It was tough but he wasn't one to give up so easily. He would pull through. He hadn't flown over from America for nothing. 

That was the start of his journey. The day that marked a new dream for him. A career that he would come to love and to cherish through the good times and the tough ones.