Chapter 5 - Amidst The Rain

Love's Theory

June 7th 2008

Staring out the window, he wore a frown on his face gazing at the rain pounding on the sidewalk. He knew that this particular day would forever hold a place in his memories. Perhaps not for positive reasons but simply for the resent and worry he felt. A feeling he wasn't used to and one he couldn't easily shake off. Never before had something he'd seen on a digital screen played with his emotions so much. The sorrow and pain she held in her eyes was something he could not ever erase from his mind even if he was only able to catch a glimpse of it through the television. To see her hurting so much and being unable to do anything because she was inside the television, a world away. Frustration. He'd never felt so useless in his life, helpless. How could anybody hurt her? Hurt them? Nine girls who had clearly fought harder battles than even Hercules himself had faced. All to get to where they were now, standing on that stage amongst the darkness. There was cheering but not for them. As if they were unwanted. How could anybody have the heart to do so?

He wanted to protect her, tell her everything was okay but she wasn't answering her phone. The cost of being a celebrity was great. Communication was tough.

"Come on.. Fany-ah~ Pick up..."

As he heard a lady's voice, his face lit up but then realising it was simply voicemail once again, he threw his phone onto his bed. Biting his lip in frustration, he stood up and went to grab his coat and wallet. Picking up his phone on the way, he ran out. As soon as he locked the door, he ran dowdn the street, not even bothering to put his hood up. He was hindered by the rain dripping from his hair and blurring his sight. He waved frantically trying to call a cab. It always seemed as if there were no empty taxis when he needed them the most. When one finally stopped, he hurriedly got in and gave the driver the address.

"As quickly as you can please"

The journey there seemed to take forever, much longer than the times before. He gazed as the streets slowly passed by, disappearing into the mist and rain. When the car finally stopped, he didn't waste a second.

"Can you please wait here?"

Running up the steps, he knocked on the front door and waited. When there was no response, he knocked again before pressing the doorbell.

"Fa-"

He heard the lock clicking before opening.

"Oh~ Nichkhun-ssi.. You're soaking! Do you want to come in?"

"No, Jessica, are you guys okay? I saw the broadcast.."

He watched as she replied with a slight nod. He needed to take his friends out and cheer them up.

"Is Tiffany here?"

"Yes I am"

He looked up as somebody approached them from the dimly lit living room.

"Are any of the other members here?"

"No, it's just me and Tiffany."

He nodded, "Okay grab your coats, you're coming with me. I think you're in need of a little therapy"

Grabbing the wrists of the two girls just as they had each grabbed their jackets, he lead them towards the taxi.

"Hey I don't have my purse or anything! Not even my keys.." Tiffany muttered still in confusion, suddenly having been dragged out of the dorm.

"Doesn't matter, tonight is on me and besides, the other girls will probably be back later so they'll let you in" Nichkhun smiled as he got into the car after Tiffany.

"By the way where are you taking us.." Jessica asked, clearly just as confused as Tiffany.

"Hmm.. How does ice cream sound?"

"Ice cream!? In this weather!?" both of the girls exclaimed in unison.

"It's never too cold for ice cream!" he chuckled, instructing the taxi driver.

Pulling out his phone, he began to text Taecyeon, giving him the address, inviting him to join them.

His face was overcome with shock as Tiffany poked his forehead. 

"Yah!"

"You shouldn't be running around in the rain in this cold weather! Look at you.." she picked at a strand of his soaking hair. "You're debuting soon, you should really take care of yourself."

Nichkhun nodded, "Okay Mrs Hwang"

"So where are two celebrities going on such a night?" The driver suddenly piped up.

"Just to have a small break.."

That's when Jessica realised. "Fany.. We don't have anything to cover our faces with."

"Hmm.. I'll just get Taec to bring something" Nichkhun grinned, pulling his phone out again.

 

When they arrived, Nichkhun got out of the car first, searching for Taec. When he saw him , he waved him over.

"It's not much but I brought caps.." Taecyeon said as he handed them to the two girls seated inside the car while Nichkhun thanked and paid the driver.

When the girls had covered their faces as much as they could, they got out of the car and headed into th small ice cream parlour. Luckily, there were few people, on such a cold night. All the while Nichkhun was thinking about the future. The way the girls had to cover their faces. Would it always be like this? In the future would he have to do the same? He hoped he was prepared to take on the sacrifices of being a celebrity. He hoped that in the future, there would still be a day where he and the girls could go out freely but he wasn't sure if sucha thing would be possible. Floating back to the present, he continued to eat his ice cream, noting how the others had nearly devoured all of their respective tubs of ice cream.