Chapter 4 - The Start of Something New

Love's Theory

Seoul, South Korea - August 4th 2007

Nichkhun woke up feeling weary that morning. He knew that he was waking up to the last day of an era that he would not see again. Tiffany had been greatly looking forward to the day to come, for months. On the other hand, he was feeling rather blue. Tomorrow marked the day where Tiffany would become someone whom would never be his alone. Not for a long time to come. She would become known by all of Korea whereas he would simply be a shadow in her past. He would stay as a 'nobody'. Just an average boy. A small grain of sand among a beach. Of course part of him felt happy for her. As someone who meant the world to him, her happiness had to make him happy also. The moment had finally come for all of her hardships to pay off. Only, she was truly stepping out there into a new world. A place where he had never been himself. A world of fame, popularity but a world where privacy was nearly nonexistent. 

He had been in relationships before but it had usually been the girl who initiated things. He wasn't brave enough. Particularly with Tiffany, his tongue seemed to get tied up in a knot. He knew it all too well. The way his heartbeat would jumble up.. The loss for words .. Sweaty palms.. And of course the sleepless nights.. 

Nichkhun had a caring nature. His family and friends were his foundation. If he were to lose a brick, he would simply collapse. 

He had watched her on television back in July but that was different. It had been a peculiar experience. Tomorrow, she would really be debuting. She would officially be an idol. Tiffany Hwang of Girls' Generation. In his mind, he knew she would immediately take the hearts of all the people of Korea. With her charming eye smiles, her pure heart and all the things about her that made his heart skip beats, she would make the public fall in love. They would never forget her smile. 

'Enough!'

He was fed up with his muddled and confused feelings. He himself had to go and prepare. Perhaps one day, he would be able to catch up to her and reach that new platform of fame. Perhaps.. But first he needed to look at the shorter range. The path infront of him now. He needed to climb the obstacles in front of him. As much as it hurt him to think of it, he knew that he must beat the other trainees in the company. He needed to make it into the group. To become a member of 'One Day'. 

It was tough.. Having to learn Korean and Chinese. It wasn't easy. He never thought that the road to becoming a successful singer would involve so much studying and homework. He thought that was only at school .. 

It was scary.. Being alone in a foreign country where even the simple task of buying groceries was difficult. Of course he wanted to be polite but he was unable to express his words of grartitude or the correct grammatical terms and formality. Having friends definitely made the experience better. Just knowing that he wasn't alone. Tiffany seemed to always carry her phone with her because he got a reply from her within minutes. It was strange to be receiving encouragement and advice from someone younger than him but he tended to forget her age. She was mature. Usually, he had preferred older girls for their maturity. Nevertheless, her messages comforted him. To the point where he felt at ease, at home. 

He called his family regularly. At this point he wasn't so homesick. Having grew up away from his family in New Zealand and the USA, well.. He didn't tend to be too upset about being away from home. He missed them, of course but even his grandmother and sisters were no longer on the verge of crying each time they heard his voice. The last time they'd cried over a phone conversation was probably back when he was studying in New Zealand and that had been years ago..

He also had another person by his side. Two people actually. They too had been from the states and were probably the two people who were in positions most similar to his own. They were also fighting as well as they could to succeed  in becoming members of the band 'One Day'. He probably should have seen them as enemies but in all honesty, though all of the other boys were looking to the same goal as him, he truly hoped that they could all succeed together. He was definitely rooting for them and cheering them on. They were pranksters.. And Taecyeon, someone he had got to know very well, was his very own tutor. I said he was his tutor but I never said he was a good one.. In fact sometimes, you may be shocked by the words they had taught Nichkhun. 

They may have taught him bad habits but there was one thing that they taught him, something that would never leave his mind. No matter where you go in the world, there are friends. Language is not a barrier.. Nor is language a barrier in music.