05

I'm Sorry, I Love You

A few days after their monthsary, Myungsoo kept himself away from Jiyeon. He’s like hiding something from her. She was missing him so badly and finally made a decision that she would come to his house. “Woohyun-ssi, where’s Myungsoo? I can’t contact him for the past few days already.”

 

“I’ll tell him that you drop by. He left a note saying that if you came, there’s no need for you wait for him.”

 

“Alright. Tell him that I dropped by, okay?” Jiyeon huffed and walked away.

 

Why is Myungsoo being like that? Keeping secrets from her and all. He’s just hurting her more. Woohyun thought to himself.

 

Woohyun went to Myungsoo’s room and grabbed his collar. “Dude, what’s up with you? You’re just hurting her you know. She came just now with teary eyes. And she said that she misses you.. Just what are you thinking of? I thought you loved her. But, now? You’re hiding yourself from her!”

 

“Hyung, don’t tell me that you like her.” Myungsoo stared at him.

 

“Look, I assumed her that she’s my sister. We were best friends back then, but she didn’t remember it.”

 

“Tsk. Just tell me that you love her.” Myungsoo smirked.

 

“Yes, I do love her. More than anyone else. But she has you for now, don’t make her hurt or you wouldn’t guess what’ll happen to you next.”

 

“Alright then. Can you promise me something, hyung?”

 

“I would try my best. What is it?”

 

“I don’t know where to start and how to start…” he paused for a second, “I… I don’t have much time to live. I’m too afraid that I might leave Jiyeon soon. She’s my first love and I want her more than anything to be the last. Guess I’m keeping this promise, aren’t I? If I’m gone, I want you to take care of her, again. Like you used to. I don’t want her to get hurt and cry every day for me. If I’m gone, I am gone. I know keep a distant from her right now doesn’t work. She’s hurting, I’m hurting, too.” He buried his face in his hands. “I love her, a lot. Hyung, I’m begging you. Please don’t let her know that I’m sick. Please don’t tell her that I’m going to die.”

 

“You’re sick?”

 

Myungsoo nodded helplessly.

 

“A few months back, before I met Jiyeon, I found myself having an abdominal pain and occasional vomiting. Of course, the other happened too, I just don’t want to mention it. I became weaker each day. So I decided to check-up to the doctor and I found out that I’m suffering from gastric cancer, that I have reached stage three. I know I wasn’t supposed to fall in love with Jiyeon, I just can’t help it.”

 

Tears started rolling down on his cheeks, like pure crystals.

 

“Tell her that I’m sorry for loving her.”

 

Woohyun was devastated. He felt like he should punch Myungsoo right on his face but he didn’t.

 

“Don’t be sorry for loving someone. Love can’t be forced.”

 

“Uh-huh.”

 

“I’ll take care of her, more than my life.”

 

“Thank you, hyung. This would probably be my last wish. Thank you very much.”

Woohyun left the room without words and he leaned against the wall. He finally sat down on the floor and buried his face between his knees.

.

.

.

.

*Hey I just met you, and I missed you. So call me, maybe? Ahah. Jiyeon-ssi, I missed you a lot. I’m sorry I didn’t call you and reply your texts.*

 

Jiyeon chuckled as she read the text message like a fool. *Where were you for the past few days? I missed you more. :\*

 

*I’m sorry baby. I need some time to think. I guess I’ve to reveal my secret now.*

 

*What secret? That you have another girl?!*

 

*No, it’s not like that. ><*

 

*Then, let me know.*

 

*I’ll come to your house on tomorrow. Good night, I love you. <3*

 

*Bye.*

 

 “THAT’S IT?! SHE ONLY SAID ‘BYE’? Oh, maybe it’s my fault anyways. I’m sorry Jiyeon-ah. It’s not like I’m hiding from you. I just can’t stand to see you crying…” Myungsoo was a bit confused with his life. 

.

.

.

.

Myungsoo dialed up Jiyeon number on his phone, “Hey, let’s meet up. I’ve got to tell you something.”

 

“Okay.”

.

.

.

.

Ding dong. Ding dong.

 

Jiyeon unlocked the door and let Myungsoo entered the house. “What is it?”

 

“So… it all started with this. Have you ever noticed that I became weaker each day? That my face turned pale? That I have been keeping a distance from you? I… I went to check-up a few months ago. A few months before we met. The doctor says that I have gastric cancer. They can’t do anything, though. It’s too late, I guess.”

 

“Why did you come to me, then?”

 

“I don’t know. It’s just… I can’t help but fell for you.”

 

Jiyeon went closer to Myungsoo and hugged him. She played with his hair, acting like a mum to him, “Oh dear, why won’t you tell me that you have been suffering alone all this while?”

 

“I don’t want you to get hurt.”

 

“You hurt me though. Keeping a secret is hurt.”

 

“I’m sorry…” Myungsoo’s eyes were b with tears. “Do you still remember Woohyun? Nam Woohyun?”

 

“Your friend? Of course.”

 

“Not, it’s not like that. He was your friend, right? When you were both still young. He…” Myungsoo paused for a few seconds, “… he was your Namstar.”

 

“I got hit by a car back then and I lost my memory since then. I wish I can remember everything, frankly speaking. I want to remember my parents.” Jiyeon finally let out her tears to flow through her cheeks.

 

Myungsoo wiped away Jiyeon’s tears and likewise, Jiyeon wiped away Myungsoo’s tears.

 

Jiyeon begins her story, “I can’t remember exactly what had happened, but it goes like this: I was playing at the park with someone – can’t remember who he was though – maybe your friend, Woohyun? I was trying to get the ball that rolled to the road, there were too many cars – I wasn’t aware until a car hit me – I was about to pick up the ball – the car hit me and ran away. Hit and run, you may call that.”

 

Jiyeoon looked at Myungsoo, “Hey, you fell asleep.” Jiyeon brushed away Myungsoo’s bangs on his forehead. She stared at him for a while and gave a peck on his irresistible lips. She felt tired and finally laid her head on Myungsoo’s left shoulder with her hands on his broad chest.

.

.

.

.

.

“Where the hell is this person?” Woohyun took his car key and started off the engine and rushed to Jiyeon’s house. I hope she hasn’t changed the password. Woohyun pressed the number slowly and finally a ‘tick’ sound heard, the door was unlocked, finally. “Myungsoo! Jiyeon! Where are you guys?”

 

Jiyeon heard a voice and she woke up from her sleep. “Hyun-ah, what are you doing here?”

 

Without saying a word, Woohyun lifted up Myungsoo from the couch and put him into the car. “This kid needs to go to the hospital. Come with me if you want to.”

 

Jiyeon locked the house and wondered, how did he know the password?

 

Remembering what has Myungsoo said before.

 

Yes, of course he knew.

.

.

.

.

.

[ In Sae-Won Hospital, Kim Myungsoo-nim had passed away at 20:30 ]