Chapter 8

"Noticed By You"

 

Kim left Manila and went home to Cebu. She needs to rethink what just happened and compose herself with all the emotions that were suppressed for quite a long time.  She wanted answer but couldn’t find it.  She gave up too quick and didn’t know that Gerald felt the same about her. Now, now it’s all too late.  "Gerald is going to get married tomorrow and I can’t do anything about it."

Kim took a leave for at least 3 months from her new job. She wouldn’t mind if they had to let her go but they told her she’s an asset to the company and can come back at any time. When she got back from Manila, she had at least 50 voicemail messages from her phone.  Mostly from her friends wondering where she’s at.  She didn’t tell anyone where she was going.  She paused for awhile after listening to all the messages and saw a picture frame of her and Gerald.  I’m successful, I’m healthy and yet I am no where near my love of my life. I made a mistake of not letting you know how I feel, Gerald.  Now, I sit here knowing you have someone else to love other than me. Kim cried once more and promised herself she will go on with her life and just be happy. 

Work is wonderful.  The new job is giving her a lot of leeway and freedom what she wants to do.  Kim is dating Sam for almost 6 months and she has not answered him yet.  It’s been almost 8 months since Maja and Mel had met Kim for dinner so they decided to get together that night at TGIF.

Mel: Oh my Gosh Kim, you look so good

Kim: Thanks Mel. Wow Maja, you are huge.

Maja: I know, I know but still look pretty, right?

Kim: (she laughs with that infectious giggle of hers) heheh…yes you are.

Maja: you will be one of godmother okay. I am due any minute so I’m letting you know now.

Kim: You are due any minute and what in the world are you doing here?

Maja: because I want to see an old friend. How’s it going with you? You have a boyfriend yet? You will be 26 soon and no marriage proposal.  You don’t want to be an old maid.

Kim: hehehe, I’m dating someone for 6 months but nothing serious.  I’m really not looking for a long term right now. I still have some years left to think about that stuff. I’m happy with my life right now.

Mel: Jake and I will get married soon (showed her hand with an engagement ring).

Kim/Maja: Congratulations! So happy for you

Maja: Gerald went to the states after he didn’t marry Mia.

Mel: Maj, can you just let fly by.

Maja: Sorry, but I’m sure Kim is curious about Gerald, since I still do work at his office.  Gerald came up to me just last week asked about you Kim. I told him I have not seen you nor talked to for a while which is true.  He ran off to the states after canceling his wedding.

Kim: He didn’t get married?!

Mel: He canceled the 2 days before the wedding and he took off to the states for at least 3 months.  He just recently came back 2 weeks ago.  His brother Ken ran the business while he was away. 

Kim keep tossing and turning that night and couldn’t sleep.  She was bothered by what Maja said about Gerald canceling the wedding.  Deep down inside, Kim knows why he canceled the wedding. 

Months passed and Maja just had a baby.  Jake and Melissa’s wedding with the same weekend as Maja’s baby baptism.  Kim decided to check into a nearest resort by the wedding reception which is only 10 minutes away from Maja’s baptism venue.

The day of the baptism, Kim was feeling a bit under the weather. It was April and she will be 26 in a week.  It just so happen a week before her birthday, baptism and wedding will be going on. I don’t plan to celebrate my birthday anyway so I guess this is my time to just chill at the baptism and at the wedding.  She arrived at church looking stunning.  Everyone was looking at her like she’s a superstar.  She felt like someone is watching her but nonchalantly dismissed it.  She didn’t do anything special but put her hair down half way and wore a pastel summer dress.

Kim was oblivious to her surroundings that she didn’t notice Gerald in the midst of all the people around her. When she got to the reception, she helped Maja with the baby and the baby fell asleep on her.  She took the baby to a small room and stayed there until the party was over, eventually she fell asleep.

Boy, I feel so groggy and tired all of the sudden. I shouldn’t have fallen asleep but since I took some acetaminophen, it made me sleepy.  Well at least I got some rest.  She’s wide awake and wanted to do something so she went downstairs by the pool and hang out. While looking over the West Resort filled with a seemingly endless assortment of beautiful mountains, she noticed a person behind her but didn’t look back.

Ge: Hi Kim

Kim: She looked back and couldn’t move.  She wanted to hug him and hold him and never let go.  “Gerald?”

Gerald: I NOTICED you from afar and couldn’t get my eyes off you from the moment I saw you at church.  It’s encouraging to know that you came here alone.

Kim: Why do you say that?

Gerald: At least I know for sure that you aren’t taken.

Kim couldn’t help but cry.  She broke down and Gerald came to her and held her tight.  They never thought it would come to this. 

Gerald: Sorry Kim that I hurt you and I know I have a lot of making up to do.  I will never ever leave you ever again.  You mean so much to me. I’m a fool to have let you out of my sight.  Sorry I didn’t realize it soon enough to know that I loved you the moment I NOTICED YOU at the bus stop. I love you Kim.

Kim: I never thought I will ever hear those words from you.