Chapter 5

"Noticed By You"

 

Kim had set up her alarm an hour earlier than usual.  She took a quick shower, put her suit on, put her hair up in a bun, put a little of pink lip gloss, glasses on then she’s off to the bus stop. She never really puts her hair down, only when she sleeps.  She always wears pants and has no dress and no high heels and always wears flat. While walking to the bus stop, she thought of Gerald. “Nah, not in a million, she thought.”  “A girl can dream but that’s just it, just a dream.” Kim usually gets there before Gerald but this time, she saw Gerald sitting at a bus stop already.  Surprised, Gerald saw her coming and gave her a big smile and waved at her.

Ge: Good morning beautiful.

Kim: Looked around and asked, you talking to me?

Ge: Who else?

Kim: Thank you. Why are you waiting for the bus when you can drive your car to the office?

Ge: I could do that but that would mean I won’t be able to ride with you in the bus.

Kim: Kim just gave him the look.

After that, we seemed to have become friends and we would hang out together during lunch and have dinner after work although not everyone thought it was cool for a boss to be seen with an employee. However, that's something I love about him. He didn't care what others thought. Months passed and the feelings I had for him grew stronger.

Christmas came along and the office closed for 2 weeks.  Maja invited her to have dinner at her house before she goes back home to Cebu and accepted the offer.  Gerald on the other had to meet with a friend he said and Kim didn’t think anything of it since they are just best friend.  However, her feelings for him are changing.  She keeps telling herself there is no chance that Gerald will fall for her or even phantom they will end up together.  She just loves the fact that he is his best friend.

After dinner with Maja and her family, Kim went home and packed.  It was about midnight when she got a call from Gerald.  “Hi Kim, are you asleep already?” “No, I’m still up packing”. “Good, I have exciting news and I would like you to find out first”.  “Okay shoot, I want to hear it.” “I have a girlfriend now”. Kim felt sick to her stomach and sank in her bed. “That’s great news, Gerald. I’m happy for you. Hey, tell me about it when I come back from Cebu”. I have to get some sleep and catch the bus early tomorrow.” “Kim, I really would like to thank you for everything.” “I wouldn’t have the courage to ask her if it weren’t for you.” “Good night Gerald and Merry Christmas, Kim cried.

Kim hung up and tears fell from her eyes.  She just realized that she has fallen in love with him but now, it’s too late. Kim got to her house in Cebu late afternoon, exhausted. She didn’t talk much and everyone knew that something was wrong.  Kim realized that nothing would happen between her and Gerald from the start so why would she ruin her vacation. 

For two weeks, Kim decided to have a new attitude. She went shopping for new clothes, had a hair cut and been wearing high heels often when she goes out with her sisters and no more glasses.  Her sisters were making a comment how she’s all grown to become a beautiful lady.  Two weeks have passed and she decided not to go to work until a week later. Maja, especially Gerald wondered what happened to Kim. 

The extra week she took off from work was the week she moved out from the apartment.  She decided to rent a nice cozy house away from the hustle and bustle of the city.  She decided to buy a small compact car so she can commute instead of riding the bus.  Nobody knows but her family at home. She loves herself, content and independent.