Chapter 6

"Noticed By You"

Kim decided to come late to work.  She normally gets there early before everyone but this time, she felt like she will go with the flow, no stress and no problem.  Gerald stopped taking the bus with Kim when he started dating his girlfriend, Mia. 

Gerald was to conduct a meeting in the conference room at 11am with all the directors.  He called Kim in the morning but she didn’t answer.  Everyone was in the conference room until Gerald noticed Kim wasn’t in yet.  He called his secretary and told her to call Kim.  “But Kim isn’t in yet sir.” “Hmm, okay thanks. Gerald had a puzzling face.”  As soon as the meeting was about to start, Kim burst in the conference room.  Everyone was in awed, amazed and fell out of their seats when they saw Kim.

Kim: Sorry, I’m late. I forgot to put gas in my car and it was traffic and….

Maja: Wow Kim, is that you? You look B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

Kim: Ha?! What in the world are you talking about? Okay, here is my report from the last time we had a meeting, she immediately changed the subject.

Gerald: Looked amazed and stared at her like he never saw anyone so lovely and so beautiful.

Kim: Mr. Anderson. Um, Mr. Anderson, helloooo

Gerald: Oh, I’m sorry! Um, Kim can I talk to you for a second.

Kim: Sure

Gerald: I mean alone.

Gerald and Kim left the conference room and told everyone it will only take a minute.  As soon as they got in Gerald’s office, Gerald couldn’t help but tell Kim. “Kim, you look amazingly beautiful. I never saw you like this before.” “Anything happened that I didn’t know about.” “Nothing Gerald, can we just go to the meeting and proceed. I have a client that I have to meet in 30 minutes.” “Can I take you to lunch or dinner later?” “I’m having lunch with the client and I’m going out to dinner with Jake, Mel, Xiam, Matteo and Maja later, Kim said.” “How about tomorrow, can you squeezed me in your tight schedule, Gerald asked.” “OK, I will let you know tomorrow, let’s go back.”

It’s been a week and Kim seems to be avoiding Gerald.  Gerald noticed it and was bothered by it.  Without knocking, Gerald barged in Kim’s office while she was on the phone. “Excuse me sir, can you hold for a minute, Kim said while holding the receiver.” “Gerald, can I help you with something?” “Kim, can you hang up the phone and let’s go to lunch.” “I’m on the phone with a client and about to close a deal.” “I don’t care; I need to talk to you, right now.” Kim gave Gerald startling look.

Kim and Gerald were having lunch but remained quiet until Gerald got a phone call from his girlfriend, Mia.  As Gerald talks on the phone, Kim didn’t glance nor moved freely.  Gerald noticed it and told Mia that he had to go and will call her later.

Gerald: What’s going on Kim?

Kim: What do you mean, I am eating.

Gerald: What is this awkwardness between us? I missed you, I missed us. You were just gone for about 3 weeks and everything changed.

Kim: Nothing Gerald. It just happened that I did a lot of thinking and

Gerald: And what, changed everything that I knew about you?

Kim: Our friendship made me realized that I needed to grow and to explore myself with new things.  I moved out the apartment and renting a small cozy house away from the city.

Gerald: When were you going to tell me that? How come you don’t tell me everything anymore?  Why are you being like this?

Kim: Gerald, you have a girlfriend now. She can be your best friend, your companion and partner in crime. (Small tear drop fell in the corner of her eye).  I can’t be there for you all the time. 

Gerald: Why does it have to change, Kim? I do need you. I don’t want anything to change between us because I have a girlfriend.  Why can’t you be there for me always? Please tell me why?

Kim: (because I love you very much to see you with another girl. I would rather be alone than be with someone who I can never have). Gerald lets just leave it.  We can be friends but not like it used to.  I will always be here for you if you need someone to talk to and you know that.  I will always treasure our friendships forever in my heart. (about to break down but held it).

Gerald: Kim!

Kim: I have to go. 

As soon as Kim got into her car, she broke down and cried her heart out.  She felt so bad that she left Gerald by himself. He needed to go on without her.  I need to move on and learn not to be with you, Gerald.  I love you so much and I always will, forever.