Chapter 4

"Noticed By You"

“Whew, what a day, so what did you and the new boss talked about, Maja asked?” “Nothing, nothing at all, Kim said”. “Are you sure, you aren’t hiding anything from me.” “You will be the first one to know if there is or there will be happening.” “OK, let’s have dinner, I am hungry.” “I can’t Kim said, I have a deadline and need to present it early tomorrow. Since I had to make up at least an hour of time, I have to get this done.”  “I will see you tomorrow, don’t stay up too late.” “Thanks Maj, have a great night.”

 It was almost 8pm when Kim got done with her work and got startled when he saw Gerald standing by her cubicle.  “You scared the heck out of me”. “Wow, I didn’t know I look that hideous.” “Are you ready, Gerald asked?” “Ready for what, I need to go home and get ready for tomorrow’s presentation.” “Don’t worry about tomorrow’s meeting it won’t be until 10am anyway.” “You’ll have plenty of time”. “Besides, the publishing director won’t get in until 10:30 am from Cebu.  I bet you, he’s flight will be delayed”. “Are you serious, Kim said?” “Serious as a heart attack, Gerald beamed.” “I’m hungry and I know you are as well, let’s grab a bite to eat.” “Fine, just because I’m also hungry, Kim thought.”

 As they were eating dinner, there was tension and awkwardness between the two.  Gerald keeps staring at Kim and Kim just kept it to herself and focused on food.

 Ge: You’re pretty Kim, why don’t you show it?

Kim: Amazed by what he said, looked at him and said, where in the world that came from?
Ge:  For 2 months while waiting for the bus every morning, you really think I didn’t noticed you?  I saw you looking at me with those glasses all the time.

Kim: Okay, if this is what you really want to talk about, I am leaving. I don’t want to be insulted nor be ridicule.

Ge: Sit down Kim, I don’t mean to be frank. I’m just telling you the truth. I take the bus everyday from my mom’s house.  She lives a couple of blocks from there. My parents are separated and working on reconciling. I stay home with my mother on weekdays and weekends with my dad.  I lied about seeing my friends at Starbucks. I go to meet with Dad at Starbucks, proceed to the office once all the employees had checked in.  I’ve been running the company for almost 2 months now and nobody knew it.

Kim stared at him as he was talking and didn’t say much.

Ge: aren’t you gonna say something?  Smile Kim, I know you can smile because every time I look at you at a bus stop, you always smile at me…hehehe

Kim: Couldn’t help but to smile.

Ge: There we go. You have a beautiful smile, Kim.

Kim: Mr. Anderson, please don’t promote me.  I like where I am at now. Besides, I’m still a junior at this and haven’t been working long enough to know everything.

Ge: Don’t worry Kim, if that is the way you feel. I will give you 6 months to better yourself and will get promoted thereafter.

Kim: What, are you serious? How about after a year?

Ge: I need a marketing director and I chose you.  I do not want to hire someone else from the outside. You are it.

Kim: I don’t know what to say, I guess I never thought I will be promoted so soon.

Ge: I know you will do a great job. So, where are you originally from?

Kim: Cebu. My whole family is there and I’m the only one here.  I share an apartment with 2 of my girlfriends from college. 

Ge: Good for you, but you know after 6 months, you can afford to move out from your apartment and buy a condo.

Kim: I’m really not an elaborate kind of person. I’m content on what I have.  I’m saving all my money and will buy house and lot in five years.

Ge: I admire you.  Most of my life, everything was handed to me.  Although don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t spoiled or anything. I had to work on getting what I want with good grades, following the orders of my parents.  They keep telling me, do the right thing and thank God for all the blessings.

Kim: That’s good to know. So you are saying that you have a good head over your shoulders.

Ge: yes, definitely.  Do you have a boyfriend, Kim?

Kim: Oh yes, I have a couple on the side (being sarcastic).  Mr. Gerald Anderson, with this look, do you really think I have a boyfriend.

Ge: See, you are cutting yourself short. You are beautiful, Kim. You have to look pass the appearance.

Kim’s heart just sank and felt so vulnerable at that moment.  She couldn’t believe how this handsome, cute very attractive guy can say such thing about her. 

Kim: Oh my, look at the time?  I better run, big day tomorrow.

Ge: Let me take you home. I think I know where your neighborhood is. Plus, I’m heading the same way you are since I’m staying with mom.

Kim: Okay, suit yourself.

Ge: I had a great time. I like our conversation. I often find myself quite intrigue about you.

Kim: I’m not buying it.  I am sure you do that with all the girls you meet.

Ge: He didn’t say much but just smiled at Kim.  Deep down inside, this girl has something in him.