4.

Am I Hurting?

(Italics = flashbacks)

Chapter 4

 It was past 8p.m. when Heechul dropped Hyukjae in front of the house. The latter had got off and grabbed his bag from the back seat. Before he could walk to the front door though, Heechul had called him back.

“What?”

“When Donghae is around, call me ‘Heechul hyung’. But if you just want a talk on something, you can call me just by my name.”

Hyukjae nodded and was about to leave, but Heechul stopped him again. “What now?” he clearly showed that he was getting annoyed.

“I’ll help you. That is my promise. Just remember. For now, you’re not Hyukjae. Get used on being Eunhyuk.”

At those words, Hyukjae’s face softened and he sighed, “I got it, okay? You can leave now and I’ll call you if there’s anything.”

Heechul left after that and Hyukjae finally was able to head up to the door. He was caught in his thoughts that he only noticed the house was dark after he went inside. It was quiet, eerily quiet. His hand d for the couch and he placed his bag next to it. As he kept moving deeper into the house, he was able to hear a faint sound, sobs. He tried to find his way through the dark, but he kept on bumping into stuff and he let out a groan every time he did.

Suddenly, Hyukjae almost topple over when something crashed into him, “Aww.”

Then a gasp was heard. Apparently, that something was actually someone. “I’m sorry, Hyukkie. I’ve forgotten about your arm. I’m really sorry. Please don’t leave me,” Donghae begged between his sobs as his arms dropped from around the other.

Hyukjae winced, “D-Donghae, it’s alright. I’m not going to leave you. But, can you please turn on the light?”

“O-okay.” Hyukjae then heard scrambled of feet and the room was light up. He could finally see Donghae’s face, and once again, it was wet with tears and it made him sighed.

“C-come here,” Donghae threaded his fingers with Hyukjae and gently pulled the latter with him to the couch and they sat facing each other. Donghae caressed the strained arm lightly with his palm, not daring enough to look at the other, and Hyukjae stared at him while he did that.

“Why were you crying again?” he asked.

A few sobs left Donghae’s mouth, his shoulders shuddered at each time, “I w-woke up, and you weren’t there like you said.”

Hyukjae couldn’t help but gave a bittersweet smile at that.  Donghae was so insecure, like someone he knew. “I’m sorry I’m a bit late. But, I said I won’t leave you. You should trust me, right?”

Donghae nodded slowly, but still hide his face, “I was just afraid.”

Hyukjae pulled a tissue from the box on the coffee table next to him, “Look up please.” Donghae seemed to hesitate for a moment but still lifted his face and looked at the other. Hyukjae wiped the tears for him and he noticed Donghae started smiling, “I’m here, so never be afraid again.”

Donghae wrapped his arms around Hyukjae’s lean waist, a bit more careful this time, and he placed his cheek against his chest, “I won’t. I promise I won’t be afraid when I’m with you nor will I ever doubt you.”

That did made Hyukjae felt guilty, as he himself knew he could never forever be with Donghae to keep the other safe, and he too had lied. To know that this person, who he had so bluntly lie to, was giving him full trust and never going to doubt him again, his own heart ache with just the thought of deceiving him. He patted Donghae’s back and crumpled the tissue in his hands, but with a smile on his face for the other.

“Good. Donghae, you can let go now. I want to bathe.”

Donghae perked up at that time. He grinned as he sat straight and looked at Hyukjae, “Bathe? Okay. Let’s go bathe,” he said.

“W-what?” Hyukjae’s eyes were as big as flying saucers.

“Bathe. Come on! I’ll get the water going, okay? I’ll wait for you upstairs,” Donghae got off the couch, and Hyukjae followed suit, grabbing the other’s wrist to stop him.

“N-no, Donghae. I want to bathe alone,” Hyukjae hoped he didn’t hurt the other’s feeling when he said that.

Unfortunately, it did, “You don’t want to take a bath with me?” the sadness flowing in those words nearly made Hyukjae relented, but he stood his ground.

“It’s not like that, Donghae. Don’t misunderstand it. I’m… Hungry! Yes, I’m hungry. So, I was hoping maybe you could cook while I bathe and then we can eat together. But, if you can’t, then…”

“Oh! No! No! No! Of course I can! I’ll cook for dinner like usual.  My poor baby is hungry,” Donghae’s fingers swap light on Hyukjae’s cheek for a moment before he went to the kitchen.

Hyukjae let out a relief breath. He grabbed his bag, which he had put next to the couch, and climbed up to their room. He locked the door, worried Donghae might barge in, before he went to the wardrobe. Hyukjae ped the bag and he hung the little clothes he brought from his house, making sure that it won’t be easy to spot all those that was truly his. Heechul had said he better wore Eunhyuk’s clothes. He took out a bag of toiletries and a towel. He was about to zip the bag again, when he saw the one and only picture he had decided to bring along with him. He stared at the framed photo for a few seconds before he finish zipping the bag and threw it on top of the tall cupboard, hoping Donghae would never noticed it. Then, he went to bathe.

Half an hour later, he was coming down the stairs, wearing a shirt and sweatpants he found, though he wasn’t sure whether those were Eunhyuk’s or Donghae’s.  He hoped it was the former. Donghae had enthusiastically pulled him to the dining table, though the other was finally acknowledging the fact that he had a strained arm and did not drag him too roughly. The dinner was fine for Hyukjae, though Donghae did started to be clingy again. The other had a hand wrapped around his good arm, either to prevent him from eating by himself or because he just didn’t want to let go, Hyukjae could not differ, so he decided to take it as both.

Dinner was done at almost 10p.m. and Hyukjae suggested they went to bed, which was agreed by Donghae in seconds. So, they went up, Donghae still had his hands on Hyukjae’s right arm until they had to climb the bed. Donghae made himself comfortable, his head laid on Hyukjae’s shoulder and the other just let him do whatever it was he wants.

Donghae closed his eyes, “I love you, Hyukkie.” Hyukjae didn’t reply, those words weren’t for him. After a while, only breathing was heard. They were sleeping. Well, at least one of them was. Hyukjae’s mind was occupied with what he had talked with Heechul while they were at his house.

They had sat together, discussing about the matter and Heechul explained everything that he had to do. During the conversation, Hyukjae wanted to back out of the plan, because there was so much he had to let go and so much for him to do. He couldn’t do his work at his Mercedes Store and would have to rely on his workers. That wasn’t his way of doing work. And he couldn’t live at his own house was his biggest reason for backing down.

Heechul had tried to talk him into re-thinking about it, but he didn’t relent. But then, Heechul asked him a question no one had ever asked him for all this years, “Do you miss your brother, Hyukjae?” And his eyes widened.

“How did you-“

“Are you still looking for him?”

Hyukjae didn’t want to answer such a stupid question. Of course he was still searching for his brother. He would never stop, no matter what people say.

“I can help you find him, if you’re willing to help Donghae.”

“Don’t use my brother as a way to get me into this.”

“Donghae is like a brother of mine. So, can’t you help my brother while I go and help yours? ”

And Hyukjae agreed. He missed his brother, so ing much, that no one could understand. How could he not take the offer? It had been three years since he last saw his brother, his 24 years old brother, and meeting him was the last thing he wanted. To just look at his brother, for one last time.

“Hyukjae hyung!” he called him from far as he ran towards his brother.

Hyukjae waved at his brother and gave him a smile, “Yes, Kyu. Why are you in such a hurry?”

“Hyung,” Kyuhyun took a moment to catch his breath and Hyukjae caressed his back.

“Yes?”

“I want to go to South Korea.”

Hyukjae looked at his brother, “Why so sudden?”

“You remember the man I said I like?”

Hyukjae had accepted his brother was gay a long time ago, and he didn’t mind at all. They would sometimes read the man’s magazine together. And that really showed how much he loved his dearest brother, “Yes?”

“Because of him. He’s going to South Korea and I want to follow him.”

“Do you have to?”

“Aww. Please, hyung. Just this once. And, it’s not for long. Only a week,” Kyuhyun tried to persuade his brother. He held Hyukjae’s hands in his and hopped, “Hyung…” he whined.

Hyukjae said they will go in a day or two together, after he finished his work. But, Kyuhyun didn’t want that and insisted on going by himself. Hyukjae didn’t fancy the idea, but he also didn’t like the idea of seeing his brother unhappy. So, in the end, he let his brother go. He asked his secretary to book a flight ticket and a hotel. He set up everything to make it easier for his brother.

But, if he knew it was a mistake, if he knew it was wrong to let go of those hands, if he knew, when he hugged his brother at the airport, it was the last time he could have his brother in his arms, he wouldn’t have let his brother go. Never.

Tears leaked from Hyukjae’s eyes and he didn’t even notice that some of them dropped onto Donghae’s hair. No one had ever reminded him of his brother, no one had mentioned his brother to him since the past couple of years, and no one was there to soothe him when his brother popped into his mind.

Hyukjae wiped the tears on his face. He had his right arm around Donghae, and he patted the other’s hair, as if those were his brother’s hair. And like that, he fell asleep.

The alarm went off at 6.30a.m. as usual and Donghae sat up to stop the ringing. He rubbed his eyes with his knuckles. He was about to get off the bed when his eyes landed on the other figure on the bed. Donghae smiled at the sleeping Hyukjae and he moved closer. “Get up, baby,” he whispered in the other’s ears, “Hyukkie baby, you need to get up now.”

Hyukjae finally opened his eyes, wide, when he felt a pair of lips on his cheek, “Donghae!” he accidentally shouted as he shot up the bed.

The other just grinned at him, “You didn’t want to wake up. I had to do something, or else you’ll be late and Mr Jackson will not like that.”

Hyukjae sighed and squinted his eyes and have a look at the alarm clock, “It’s 6.30a.m. What is the thing I’ll be late for at this time?”

“Your work.”

“What work?”

“Hyukkie, you’re the newspaper boy, don’t you remember?”

“Me? Newspaper boy?” 


Questions in your mind? Have a guess, everyone. Try to relate all this. By the way, I hope it doesn't seem like I'm rushing. /awaits your opinion/