Prologue

Am I Hurting?

Edited on: 20/01/2017 at 1:51am

(A/N: italics = flashbacks = Third point of view)


Prologue

 

The alarm went off exactly at 6.30 am, and right after it started to ring, my eyes were opened, though not all the way and everything was in a blur.  My hand d around on my bedside table, blindly searching for the alarm clock to stop the annoying ringing. With one hand throwing off the cover, and the back of the other hand rubbing my eyes, I got off the bed and went to slide the curtain that was concealing the double sliding doors; the walk way to the balcony. As soon as the blue fabric was moved away, I could see the sun, rising slowly over the horizon.

 

“Good morning, Hae,” a silk-like voice and a hot breath caressed his ear.

 

I smiled, “Morning.”  After staring at the brightening sky for a moment, I went to get ready for my early job; the newspaper boy was what every customer referred to me as, though it was clear I was no longer a boy. I cleaned and tidied myself up, changing into a plain white t-shirt and a blue hoodie over it. I stood in front of the full-length mirror by the wall, styling my hair the way he liked it.

 

“You really look good today, Hae,” Donghae heard him saying.

 

“I look good every day,” I chuckled while staring at the mirror. I kept looking at the mirror, at where he stood next to me, always smiling. “Let’s go.” I went downstairs, snatched the house key hung on the wall and my wallet, before stepping out and locking the tall wooden doors. I put on my sneakers and immediately went for the bicycle by the side of the house. Helmet buckled, I climbed the bike and was ready to cycle away when I felt the familiar warmth coming from the two arms wrapped around my waist from behind, just like how I used to do it to him. I let myself indulged in it for a moment.

 

Two arms wrapped themselves around the thin waist, a head was laid on his back, and the only thing he could do was laugh. “Hae, what are you doing?”

 

“I’m coming with you,” said Donghae, feeling comfortable though he was on a bicycle.

 

“Why? I’m just going out for a moment. I’ll come and get you back to go to the café later.” Eunhyuk waited for his boyfriend to say something but received nothing back except for the tightening of arms that encircled his waist. So, he just shrugged his shoulders, shook his head while a smile pulled his lips, and started cycling out of the lawn. This was the first time Donghae had followed him while he did his work, and he pretty much liked it, though he tried to hide his joy.

 

They stopped by his employer shop to load the bicycle with the newspapers subscribed by those who leave in the neighbourhood. This was a daily routine for Eunhyuk since three weeks ago. He would wake up at 6.30am, finish his morning job and he would be back in the house around 8am. Then, normally, he would jump on the bed and smother Donghae with kisses until his boyfriend wakes up. But not today, since, all of a sudden, his boyfriend was up and reversed the position. Hyukjae woke up with his face wet from smooches.

 

“Hey, Mr Jackson,” Eunhyuk greeted his employer.

 

“Good morning, Hyuk. I see you brought a friend with you,” the friendly man said to him, smiling at the two young men.

 

Donghae grinned at Mr Jackson, “Mr, I’m his boyfriend, not just friend.” The way he emphasized the term made Eunhyuk blushed and he hit Donghae’s arm, which was still wrapped around him albeit slacker than before.

 

If Mr Jackson was surprised, he hid it well to not offend the couple, “Really? Well, nice to know you, Eunhyuk’s boyfriend. Are you here to help him?”

 

Donghae hummed, thinking, before he admitted, “Not exactly. I’m just here to keep him company. I’m Donghae, by the way.”

 

“Nice knowing you, Donghae. Now, there’s no time to waste. The people won’t be happy if they can’t find today’s newspaper by their doors at the usual time. So, these are all the stacks you are supposed to send, Hyuk,” Mr Jackson loaded the bicycle’s basket with about 3 stacks of rolled papers, and he passed a stack to Donghae. “Have fun spending time, just remember I’m not paying you double,” Mr Jackson shouted and waved as Eunhyuk cycled away from the shop. He heard a shallow, “Yes, Mr Jackson,” coming from their direction and he smiled, wishing the two the best of luck with their relationship in this place.

 

House after house they passed and Donghae kept throwing roll after roll of newspapers.

 

“Did you have to tell him that you’re my boyfriend?” Eunhyuk suddenly asked.

 

“Of course,” said Donghae nonchalantly.

 

“Is that why you followed me?”

 

“Maybe.”

 

Eunhyuk sighed, “You don’t have to, you know? People will eventually find out about us.”

 

Donghae huffed, exasperated, “But I don’t want to hide it any longer, Hyukkie. If I could, I would have made an announcement about us on TV. Opps!” Donghae cringed as the newspaper he had thrown hit a trash can and scared a cat.

 

“Why do you want everyone to know about us so much?”

 

Donghae stared at the back of Eunhyuk’s head in a half glare and a pout, “Hyukkie, we have done a lot of hiding when we were in South Korea. We moved to London because we couldn’t handle all those nosy people that hated us for our choice in life partners. We moved here to feel a bit of freedom from all those disgusted eyes. If we have to keep our relationship hidden while we stay here, then what’s the point of moving?” the same scared cat ran and meowed, sounding as if it shrieked, loudly when another roll of newspaper suddenly went flying directly toward it. Poor cat.

 

Feeling his boyfriend’s sunken mood, Eunhyuk said, “I’m sorry, Hae,” it was his mistake for asking the question he could already guess the answer for.

 

Life was hard for them before they moved to London. Eunhyuk couldn’t remember the amount of time he had been called a even before the news of them as a couple was out. They moved to London because Donghae couldn’t hold himself anymore after the multiple times he had to treat the cuts and bruises littering on Eunhyuk’s skin. Eunhyuk was always the one getting the beating, Eunhyuk was always the one getting picked on, and Eunhyuk had always been the one keeping everything on the inside, bearing the pain alone and acting strong; people don’t look for trouble with Donghae, knowing the young man had an influential family.

 

But, nothing could stay hidden forever and after two months into the relationship, by making his boyfriend stayed with him, Donghae had known the reason why Eunhyuk always put on a forced smile most of the time. He had wanted to murder all those bullies for making Eunhyuk the target, but his too kind boyfriend had stopped him. And when the bullying and mocking didn’t stop, they finally made a decision to move to London. Though not all, the people here were more open about gay relationships then those in South Korea.

 

Donghae’s hand caressed the lean back in front of him, “Don’t be. I don’t want you to.”

 

“But I still should have understand how you must have felt about this,” Eunhyuk passed the last roll to Donghae and he threw it toward the house at the end of the street but, unfortunately, it didn’t land on the right spot.

 

Gulping, Donghae said, “Let’s forget about that…”

 

“No, we should talk about this. You’re right, we can’t hide.”

 

“Hyukkie, I-I know I’m right, so let’s just d-drop the topic.”

 

“I think we should talk now.”

 

“I don’t think so.”

 

“Why?”

 

He grabbed a fistful of Eunhyuk’s shirt, “Because we have a huge, angry Rottweiler ready to pounce on us!” Donghae yelled at the top of his lungs and, as if on cue, loud barking could be heard and Eunhyuk, eyes now wide, cycled as quickly as he could. The couple started shouting at each other while trying to get as far away as possible from the dog.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

 

“Because you were busy feeling guilty when I say you didn’t have to!”

 

“You could have said something!”

 

“I panicked, alright?”

 

“If you had told me you hit a dog with the newspaper, we could have went away quicker.”

 

“Can you just focus on cycling instead of arguing with me?”

 

“Fine!”

 

“Fine!”

 


 

This is short, since this is just the prologue. I usually write >2000 words for each chapter. I hope this is not hard to understand. Only the prologue and epilogue will have Donghae's point of view, at least that's what I had planned for now. By the way, I hope you noticed that the non-italic writing is actually what's happening now and the italic is in the past. Oh and, do tell whether you like my writing style or not.