⌨ Love Under the Oak Tree

Ideas Set Ablaze! ✌ ✌ ✌ Story & Applyfic Ideas ✌ ✌ ✌ Writing Tips
Love Under the Oak Tree
Available

You know those...absolutely cheesy and cliché romantic comedy dramas that make you puke rainbows?

Well, life is not like that. The bad boy doesn't always get the nerd. The good girl doesn't marry the play boy. And the poor yet stunningly beautiful girl doesn't spend happily ever after with the rich dude. If that ever happened in life, well, I'll let you kick my to the moon.

The world we live in is all about the typical drama couple. The bad boy and the good girl. The nerd and the popular. The rich and poor. What in the world?

I don't believe in preassumed love or couples. You see, at my school, where I'm the most popular girl in school, it's assumed that I would either go with the bad boy or the most popular dude in our school or the smart and handsome student council president person.

You might think, well, that is how most stories work. But not mine. Mine, my love, my very first love in fact, started out averagely with an average boy at an average time in an average school and under an average oak tree in an average neighborhood. I was expected to be with someone beyond the average but I chose an average guy with an average background. Nothing much was interesting about him. If so, I would say that I had the more messed up than he did.

But I guess maybe that's why I got attracted to him. Maybe that's why I fell in love with him. He was average. I was supposedly beyond average. When in actual reality, we were both equals just trying to survive in this world.

Love in dramas blossomed under harsh circumstances, love rivals, money, fame, and power. But my love, our love, blossomed under a single oak tree where I first met him.

Plot Synopsis:

The main character is a high school senior girl who's about to graduate soon. The school year had just started and she was still one of the most popular girls in the school. She's joined by a couple of her friends as well. She's not the usual popular girl. She's rather quiet, mysterious, has a kind heart, soft-spoken but firm in her beliefs. She doesn't really like too much attention but because she's been dealing with it for a long time, she's used to it.

She doesn't come from a rich family; her father's addicted to alcohol and smoking and comes home late at night drunk and stumbling and his paycheck spent on alcohol. Her mother's dead and gone because of her; her older brother hates her for causing their mother's death and rarely stays at home, always mingling with the gangs. She used to live in luxury until their father's business went bankrupt and they were forced to live like peasants. Her mother overworked herself so that she could keep up with her childish demands. When she was twelve, she died from a disease that she hid from the family. Her older brother blamed her for killing their mother with her stupid and spoiled demands for food and clothings. Ever since then, she was reduced to a quiet and humble girl who worked many jobs during the day.

But the school saw her as someone rich and beautiful which is why they put her on the queen spot of being popular. And as expected, she was supposed to be coupled up with the king of the school who was also a bad boy and a play boy. However, she didn't like that and only saw the other guy as a good friend and nothing more. Even though the king of the school kept courting her and flirting with her, she never budged.

Then, one day, she was looking for a good spot to write. She loved writing and dreams to become a world-reknown author. She found an oak tree in her neighborhood in a secluded spot and sat down, starting to write. She didn't know that she was joined by someone else who slept on the ground behind the tree. She couldn't hear him rise because she had her earphones on. He scared her and she screamed at him He introduced himself and she realized that even though she knew a lot of people in the school, she didn't actually know everybody. He was in the same grade as her, in a different class, but he was held back a grade not because he failed but because he mingled with the wrong crowd in the past.

Everyday, they would meet up under this oak tree and share their days and experiences. They became so close that they even began to share their own secrets to each other. This guy was nothing but just an average student trying to make end meet for his sick grandmother who owns a bakery. She finds out that his parents died in a car crash and he's now under the care of his grandmother. They both work at the bakery and they get even more closer. Even at school, when she sees him, she would ignore her friends and join him so that she could just talk with him. Her friends realized that she was drifting away from the popular crowd and confronted her about it. She tells them everything and about the guy as well. However, instead of supporting her, they say that this guy is no good for her and say that he was held back a grade because he's in a gang and he does drugs (which she knows is not true). She gets mad at them and leaves the popular group.

Even though her and the average guy fell in love, she has to deal with the students and her friends turning their backs on her because she chose a guy who wasn't like their king of the school. The king of the school is also very persistent and won't stop courting her until the average guy confronts him and asks him whether he's saying that he's in love with her because he truly is or because of his reputation. Throughout this, the oak tree becomes a symbol of their love.

Genre: school life, romance, comedy, slice of life, drama

Rating: PG13

Characters: The Main Girl (Female Idol/OC), The Average Student (Male Idol/OC), The Kingka (Male Idol/OC), Her Friends, Kingka's Friends, Average Student's Friends, Her Family, The Average Student's Grandmother

Inspiration: Not much of a song or anything, I kind of just thought of it as I was watching Grease and Grease 2.

Additional Notes: This is a cool story to write. The focus is on the severe line between the populars and the non-populars. This story defers away from the stereotypical popular meet nerd story. What makes this story interesting is the interactions with the average guy and the popular girl under the oak tree. You can build up their meetings from just friendly meetings to romantic dates. Then, what else is interesting is how the main girl gets but she manages to explain to everyone how reputation isn't everything. The love rival has to be the Kingka. But you have to make clear his purpose of trying to get the main girl. Is it because he's truly in love with her or because he's doing it for his reputation? Lastly, you have to emphasize the fact that the average guy becomes the confidant and the comfort for her whenever she's being tortured by her family (physically or emotionally, it's up to you).

It'll be a cool story to write. :D

Status: Available