Chapter 8 - The Party

Switched

 

Kanata Hongo

 

 

Mariya was wearing a stylish get up since she knew that Ryosuke was coming. It has been years since Ryosuke visited their house. Her mother and Ryosuke’s father we’re close friends so it was not a strange thing for her to invite Ryosuke. She walked down though the stairs, and smiled. She was looking forward for this moment.

 

She went to their gate to wait for her beloved and there he was, wearing a black t-shirt and on top of it was black leather jacket paired with a military cargo jeans, he looked just too stunning. She has not seen that Ryosuke before. Though he had a not-so-excited face, he still looked as gorgeous as ever. But beside him was a witch who almost wore the same set of clothes as Ryosuke, she was wearing a t-shirt and a cargo jean. She smirked and mumbled “Mirai, let’s see if you’re going to enjoy this party” then went inside the gate, still waiting for Ryosuke.

 

On the otherhand, Ryosuke was complaining.

 

“Mi-chan, isn’t this a bit embarrassing?” he asked with a worried face

 

“No! You look so cool Ryo-chan! You must thank me for that” Mirai proudly replied.

 

What Ryosuke was wearing was actually Mirai’s clothes, surprisingly, it fit Ryosuke perfectly. He wore those that were too big for Mirai since his closet was filled with nothing but dresses and strawberry printed t-shirts.

 

“Really? I don’t feel comfortable with this though” he said then looked at the cargo jeans he was wearing, definitely not my style” he added

 

“Yeah, not your style since your style is something not all boys would appreciate” Mirai answered sarcastically. Though she admits that she likes Ryosuke, still she acts the same as before.

 

They arrived at Mariya’s place and she hugged Mirai warmly which Mirai was very happy about. Mirai was clueless to what Mariya was plotting.

 

“Thank goodness you arrived here!!” Mariya exclaimed

 

After that Ryosuke and Mirai greeted Mariya’s mother a happy birthday. Ryosuke enjoyed chatting with Mariya’s mother together with Mariya. Mirai felt out of place, she decided to go out when she saw a familiar face “Kanata-kun?” she asked then the guy looked her way.

 

“Hongo-san!” he replied “Why are you here?” he asked

 

“Ah, my friend said he wanted me to go with him in this party. Quite a silent party right?” she asked

 

“Yeah, my mother dragged me with her here. I wasn’t expecting for you to be here” he replied

 

“How long has it been?” she asked

 

“It has been 3 years right?” he replied “I wasn’t expecting you would reject me that time” he added

 

“Rejected? Did you even confess to me?” she said then laughed. Kanata Hongo the first guy who had the courage to confess to Mirai but was only friendzoned.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“Hongo-san will you go out with me?” Kanata asked with his eyes tightly shut

 

“Sure! to where? Ah—let’s go to the arcade!” Mirai replied

 

BACK TO REAL TIME

 

“Ah, never mind” he replied

 

“I feel out of place right now” Mirai said

 

“I feel mutual” Kanata replied

 

After that, the chatted more, laughed a lot and exchanged number. While Ryosuke looked for Mirai, he didn’t find Mirai since the number of persons increased. He looked, looked and looked until he found her, talking with a guy, laughing so hard.

 

He felt uncomfortable so he headed towards Mirai’s way when someone tugged the jacket he was wearing. He looked behind him and saw Mariya.

 

“Suzuki-kun? Are you okay?” she asked with a puppy-dog-eyes that didn’t fit her image. Imagine a girl wearing a cocktail having that kind of face, ridiculous right?

 

“Yeah I’m fine” he replied then looked at Mirai’s way, right now, she was eating together with the guy she was chatting with earlier. Mirai opened and the guy placed a piece of food on , then Mirai once again laughed. This guy was slowly getting on his nerves, actually add Mariya to that. The whole time, she was acting too clingy with Ryosuke which the guy didn’t like.

 

“Ah. I’m going to the toilet first” Ryosuke said then headed towards Mirai’s way. He wanted to drag Mirai out and go home with her but the lights suddenly turned off. A spotlight was focused on Mariya, who was a moment ago with him.

 

“Thank you for coming to my mother’s 50th birthday. I acknowledge the presence of the President of the Kanata Clothesline and my schoolmate Ryosuke who joined this joyful celebration” she said then smiled. She then looked on Mirai’s way who was eating and wasn’t paying attention to what she said.

 

Her plan no. 1 failed, well her plan was to let Mirai feel out of place though Ryosuke was with her. To let her feel that Ryosuke chose her over Mirai, her first plan succeeded, Mirai felt out of place but that was before she saw Kanata.

 

After her talk she went down then headed towards Mirai’s way.

 

“Hongo-san, Ryosuke is at that room, he said he wanted to talk with you” she said pointing at the room which looked really suspicious. She didn’t want to enter but because she trusted Mariya she went inside. The moment she got in, someone closed the door. She was dead scared. She hated rooms closed rooms, especially those that have no lighting. She had a traumatic experience when she was still a kid. That was the time when she got punished by his father for being too stubborn. She was locked in a dark room and was not released for about 2 hours. That was the worst 2 hours of her life, and now she’s being locked in a room with no lights.

 

Her breathing became heavy, with her strength she could easily kick the door so she could go out, but right now she was too scared so her mind wasn’t functioning well. The thought of kicking the door, didn’t enter in her mind that time. She was shaking and her tears were starting to fall from her eyes. She could hear strange whispers from around her.

 

“You’re the reason Mina died!” that phrase was repeating over and over again.

 

She placed her palms on her ears in order not to hear those strange whispers, but even though she covered her ears, she could still hear the whispers. She cried in fear, her knees were shaking and her eyes we’re tightly shut.

 

“Ryo-chan.. Help” she managed to whisper

 

On the other hand, Ryosuke’s face was beaded with sweats. He had been searching for Mirai but couldn’t see her. He asked the guy who chatted with Mirai earlier and he told him that she went to talk with Mariya. He searched for Mariya, luckily, he found her.

 

“Mariya-san, did you know where Mirai went?” he asked while Mariya mumbled “Mirai again?” luckily Ryosuke didn’t hear it since the music was too loud. She said “She went home already, she said she was bored” Mariya said.

 

“Really? Okay thanks” he said then went on his way.

 

Ryosuke couldn’t believe it, Mirai never left him, more like she would not leave in order to go home safe. She wasn’t good with directions, and to add with that, she was scared with darkness from a traumatic experience. He sensed that there was something fishy with Mariya’s statement.

 

He continued to search the place. It was huge so it was a little bit troublesome to search for Mirai. Yet he still could not find her. He was worried sick, he was so nervous. Suddenly he remembered the time when Mirai got lost. Mirai mentioned Mariya’s name that time. It was about helping out Mariya, and she got lost.

 

“Mariya” he mumbled then gritted his teeth. Mariya was acting strange from the start, she was the one who always spread rumours about them dating which was not true.  She was the one who asked for Mirai’s help then Mirai got lost.

 

He had always thought that Mariya wasn’t really a good girl. But because Mirai liked her, he didn’t pay much attention with her.

 

He was searching when a certain room caught his attention. It looked like the room where Mirai was punished, he headed towards the room. It was padlocked, good thing the padlock was the same as his bike’s padlock. He opened the door and he saw Mirai. On her knees and was crying.

 

He immediately hugged Mirai and said “Was that scary? I’m sorry Mi-chan. I was on my own and left you” he said then hugged her tighter. “Sorry” he added

 

“I was so scared Ryo-chan. I heard voices, strange voices. Was my mother’s death my fault?” she said then hugged Ryosuke back.

 

“Mi-chan, I might not be present by the time you we’re born, but it was not your fault” he said to comfort Mirai.

 

“But the voices told me it was all my fault. Was it a mistake I was born?” Mirai insisted as tears rolled down on her cheeks. Ryosuke pulled away from the hug, wiped Mirai’s tears then smiled.

 

“Didn’t I tell you, you’re one of God’s greatest creations? The angels celebrated when you were born. Your presence is a gift from God. Without you, I don’t know what will become of me. You saved me from being bullied. You’re God’s gift Mi-chan” Ryosuke said to calm Mirai down. Mirai just hugged him tightly, and then cried.

 

He wasn’t used to this Mirai, so frail, and so fragile. The last time she saw Mirai like this was when they we’re twelve years old. When they were playing hide-and-seek and she got locked in the room where she hid. Everytime she gets locked, he become’s like this.

 

 

“Come on, let’s go home okay?” he said “I’m sorry” he added. They then went home after that.