Chapter 5 - Welcome Home

Switched

Mirai woke up, she noticed that Ryosuke was sleeping on the side of the bed she was sleeping in. She looked at the wall clock to check the time, it’s past time for their classes already. She tapped Ryosuke’s shoulders and said “Ryo-chan, we’re already late!” she said. Ryosuke woke up, rubbed his eyes and asked “Do you feel better now?”

 

“Ryo-chan, are you crazy? You cut classes because of me? Go back to the classroom” she said

 

“Just relax okay? This is my choice, let me get some water for you” he said then stood up

 

“Ryo-chan, that’s not good, you must go to your classes” Mirai said

 

“But Mi-chan~” he whined like a year old girl who was not able to buy the doll she wants. He pouted, that made him boost his cuteness to the nth power.

 

“Ryo-chan, I’m fine” she said then stood up then smiled

 

“Mi-chan just stay there, what if you’ll collapse again?” he asked wearing a worried face

 

“Who do you think I am? Am I that frail to you? Have you forgotten that I successfully defended you from those who were bullying you?” she proudly said

 

“Even so, Mi-chan you’re a girl. You’re not a robot and you have time when you get weak, if that time comes won’t you let me return the favor to you and help you?” he said then walked towards her. “I’ll ask teacher for you to go home early okay?” he added then placed his palms in Mirai’s cheeks. Ryosuke then skipped towards the teachers’ office while Mirai froze. Ryosuke’s face was so close to hers. She was blushing so hard, for some reason, she wanted to kiss Ryosuke’s lips. She buried face with her palms and said “Mi-chan, you can’t. A gay, no matter what, won’t return your feelings”.

 

“Who’s the gay?” Chinen showed up out of the blue, Mirai was surprised. She can’t tell that Ryosuke’s a gay or else he might get bullied again. No matter how fast she could think of ways to escape, she can’t seem to escape Chinen’s question.

 

“Um, you see. I am the ‘gay’” Mirai blurted out, she will do any means to protect Ryosuke

 

“You are? So, you mean you like someone?” Chinen’s eyes widened

 

“Yeah, you could say that” Mirai answered while trying to avoid Chinen’s eyes.

 

“Who is she?” Chinen replied with great anticipation of getting an answer from Mirai.

 

“Umi-chan” Mirai answered, that was a white lie, yes she liked Umika, but it wasn’t a ramantic feeling. It was more like a ‘I want to be like her’ feeling.

 

“Umi-chan?” Chinen’s voice became shakey “You like Umi-chan?” he added “I, I …” continued.

 

“What’s wrong Chinen-san?” She asked

 

“Oh, nothing. Umi-chan is an admirable girl right?” said with a wide smile “Even a girl got captivated by her” he added

 

Both of them didn’t notice that Ryosuke was already back, he was about to say that Mirai can go home when he heard what Chinen said. For some reason he felt like he was being torn. “How can Mirai like a girl? A girl can’t possibly like a girl right?” that was the thought that lingered in his mind.

 

“Mi-chan, you can go home now” he said with a fake smile “Shall I go with you?” he asked

 

“Ryo-chan you stay here. You have classes to attend to right?” she said

 

“No, I think I should go home with you” he replied then shifted his gaze from Mirai to Chinen“Ne, Chinen-kun, can we switch with the cleaning duties? Classes are over because of the planning, right? I want to send Mi-chan home. She’s having a fever. Is that okay with you?” he asked

 

“Sure, No problem, I shall go then. Bye!” Chinen said then went out of the room.

 

After that, Mirai and Ryosuke headed back home. Ryosuke carried Mirai’s bag since he didn’t want Mirai to strain herself. His thoughts were disturbed by what he heard at the clinic a while ago.

 

“Bye Ryo-chan! Thanks for bringing me home!” Mirai said and then asked for her bag that was on Ryosuke’s shoulder.

 

Ryosuke on the otherhand, was in a daze. He didn’t realize they have already arrived, he handed Mirai’s bag.

 

When he arrived home, he headed directly to his room and buried his face on his bed. He was a gay right? How come he gets hurt whenever he thinks of Umika and Mirai.  This time, he knew it wasn’t because of the friendship. He knew it was something else. His thoughts we’re disturbed since his phone rang.

 

“Hello?” he asked

 

“Ryo-kun! How are you?” he heard from a familiar voice

 

“Dad?” he asked

 

“Of course my son! How are you?” his father said

 

“Dad! Your voice changed!” Ryosuke excitedly said in a boyish manner. His father didn’t know about his crossdressing and him being a gay.

 

“I have a cough that’s why. By the way, did you get yourself a good girlfriend?” he asked. Ryosuke didn’t know what to reply.

 

“I haven’t dad, how about you?” Ryosuke asked

 

“You know how I love your mom right? She’s still alive, deep down in my heart, she is” he said

 

“Hey dad, how did you know that you love mom?” Ryosuke asked

 

“I didn’t know, it just came into me. I was always with her since she was my bestfriend, somehow, one day, it came into me, the thought ‘I do love her’” his father answered

 

“I see, by the way. Dad, why did you call?” Ryosuke asked trying to change the subject. Somehow, he predicted that his dad is going to ask about his love life again

 

“About that, son, I’m happy to tell you Saki forgave me. Not that I did something wrong. She said she has realized her mistake” his dad said

 

“Really dad?!” he asked excitedly.

 

“She’s going live with you. Maybe she’ll arrive around this time. Just wait for her” his father said “I need to go now son, bye!” he added then hunged up.

 

Ryosuke couldn’t wait for his sister’s arrival. She immediately went out of his room, forgetting his slump about Umika ang Mirai and shouted “Saki-neechan is coming home!”

 

“Are you sure?” Riisa asked him excitedly

 

“How did you know?” Ayame asked

 

“Just now, dad called, he said she has forgiven him” he said

 

“He called?” Riisa asked him then Ryosuke nodded.

 

“I better cook her favorite dish” Ayame said then headed to the kitchen

 

“By the way, where’s Aya nee-chan?” he asked

 

“Ah, today’s the anniversary of her and her boyfriend. Maybe she’s on a date right now” Riisa replied

 

“Okay. Um, nee-chan, can I go to Mirai’s house?” he asked permission from his sister then went to Mirai’s house.

 

He knocked, but no one answered, he was getting worried. “Kazuya nii-san was not home?” he thought, he knew that Taisuke and Masuda has a job and only Kazuya is available at that moment. He then opened the door. There he saw Mirai on the couch, sweating with her eyes tightly shut. He checked Mirai’s temperature, she was burning up. Immediatly he went to the first aid kit box and searched for a paracetamol. When he found one, he gave it to Mirai for her to take.

 

After that he went to search for a towel and luke-warm water. He soaked the towel and placed it on her forehead. He decided to cook a porridge for her, he knew that Mirai doesn’t have an appetite when she’s sick, he made it sure that the porridge suits her taste.

 

After cooking he waited for Mirai to wake up. While waiting, he wondered why none of Mirai’s brother’s we’re home. He didn’t know that Masuda was sent to a special training in line for his promotion while Taisuke took overtime. Kazuya on the otherhand was with Aya comforting her from the hurt she experienced.

 

Mirai woke up “Ryo-chan, why are you here?” she asked

 

 

“Shh, eat this porridge first” he said

 

“I don’t want to eat” Mirai said

 

“You have to, here” Ryosuke said then scooped a little amount of porridge and gave it to Mirai. Mirai opened and ate Ryosuke’s porridge. The porridge bowl was not empty, but he was happy since Mirai ate some. As long as Mirai’s stomach is not empty, it was fine.

 

“Now, go to sleep” he said then smiled looking straight at Mirai’s face.

 

“Thank you Ryo-chan” she replied then smiled back

 

“No, problem. I’ll be your nurse today” he said. After that Mirai fell asleep, but was still on the couch.

 

Looking at Mirai’s sleeping face, Ryosuke couldn’t help but smile. Her face seemed so angelic, so feminine, and so weak. Somehow, he wanted to protect her when in reality she was the one who was always being protected by her. Few minutes later, Kazuya arrived.

 

“I’m home” Kazuya said when he opened the door

 

“Oh, Kazu nii-san, sorry I barged in. I also used you kitchen since I was cooking for Mi-chan” Ryosuke said then stood up then did a slight bow.

 

“Porridge?” Kazuya asked looking at the bowl of unfinished porridge on the table

 

“Yes, she has a fever” Ryosuke replied. The moment Kazuya heard the word fever, he immediately checked her temperature.

 

“You’re right! Did she take medicine already?” Kazuya asked and was obviously worried

 

“Yes, she took medicine already” Ryosuke replied

 

“Thank you Ryosuke-kun for taking care of our princess” Kazuya said in gratitude

 

“That was nothing, Kazu nii-san. I need to go now” Ryosuke said

 

“Okay, Thank you so much, Ryosuke-kun” Kazuya replied then carried Mirai to her room.

 

When Ryosuke came back, he saw a never-before-seen Aya. He saw a depressed Aya. “Aya nee-chan? What’s wrong?” he asked

 

“I was two timed by my boyfriend during our anniversary” she said with a depressed voice. Ryosuke then remembered the clinic scene with Mirai; that moment when he heard Chinen say that Mirai was captivated by Umika.

 

“Nee-chan, just cheer up okay? There are tons of men wanting you to be their girlfriend” Ryosuke comforted his sister

 

“Thank You, Ryo-chan” She replied then went to the kitchen to get something to eat, she then noticed that Ayame cooked a lot of food.

 

“What’s the occasion?” she asked

 

“Saki nee-chan is coming home” she replied

 

They then someone knocked. “I’ll open it! Ryosuke said from the living room”

 

When Ryosuke opened the door, he was surprised, he saw a blonde girl with tattoos in her arms, and she was wearing a black tank top. “Saki nee-chan?” he asked

 

“Ryo! Long time no see!” she said then hugged Ryosuke tightly

 

“Onee-chan? What happened to you? You look—what’s with that get up” he asked. Only their father knew that Saki cut her hair and had tattoos in her arms when she left their house.

 

“It’s a long story, won’t you let me in?” she jokingly said. Ryosuke then let her in.

 

“Saki neechan is back!” he shouted, everyone from the household rushed to their living room.

 

“Onee-chan!!” the three of them chorused then gave her a big hug

 

“What happened to you? You have tattoos all over your arms” Aya asked her

 

“Your hairstyle too” Ayame said

 

“It’s a long story guy. For now, let me hug you! I missed you big time girls~” then hugged each and every one of them. They then headed to the dinner table, the chatted and Saki told them the reason why she had her hair dye blonde and had tattoos in her arms.

 

“So it was just because of that?” Riisa asked her

 

“Isn’t it too trivial?” Ryosuke added

 

“You know guys, I was too immature back then. Somehow, I regret having this tattoos” she replied while looking at her tattoos.

 

“Ryo! Still have ‘cross-dressing’ as a hobby?” she asked while Ryosuke blushed.

 

“Actually onee-san, I’m a gay” he said looking down to the floor

 

“eeeeh?!” Her sister exclaimed

 

“But, right now, I’m not so sure with it anymore” he added. All of his sisters eyes widened.

 

“You mean? You have someone you like?” Ayame asked

 

“I don’t know. But I think so” Ryosuke replied. Unlike most of the guys, Ryosuke doesn’t have an issue about expressing his emotions.

 

“Whose this girl?” Riisa asked

 

“For now, it’s a secret” Ryosuke replied

Fukuda Saki as Suzuki Saki