Chapter 3

A Winter Miracle

Well here it is. I apologize I wanted to get this out on Christmas but yeah...family, presents...so yeah. I finally got time alone to crank this out.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

A Winter Miracle – Chapter 3

 

Seunghyun was released an hour later. Michael helped him with getting Daesung into the car and drove him out to his house.

 

He thanked Michael profusely for helping carry Daesung in and putting him in his bed. “Thanks Mike you didn’t have to carry him. I could’ve woken him up” Seunghyun said as the two men stood at the door. “It’s late Mark and kids his age need rest. Take care of yourself okay. Me and Anabelle talked and she told me if you need to come over that you’re more than welcome, both you and Dae okay?”

 

Nodding Seunghyun clapped Michael on his shoulder “Be careful. The white stuff is coming down pretty hard now.” “Will do. See ya” the officer nodded and stepped off the porch unto the snow covered ground. A twig snapping got the two’s attention, Michael going for his .40 Smith & Wesson.

 

Seunghyun squinted as he tried to make out what it was.

 

“Hyung?”

 

“Seungri!” Seunghyun rushed out and wanted to cry seeing the poor kid. “It’s okay Michael I got it!”

 

“Come on get inside” he said as he ushered the shivering boy into his house. “How long were you waiting outside Seungri?” Seunghyun asked as he placed the kid in the kitchen where he proceeded to turn on all the burners of his stove to warm the kid up.

 

“I came after school, hoping to play with Dae in the snow. I knocked for a long time but you weren’t home” Seungri spoke as he sat on the counter next to the stove. “I went back home. It was nice, mom and dad were gone for a while. I made myself a PB&J!”

 

“That’s a good kid” Seunghyun smiled as he ruffled the boy’s hair. He placed the kettle on one of the burners to boil some water to make a hot chamomile tea for Seungri and some coffee for himself.

 

“I came back here after mom and dad got home. For one she didn’t yell at me” the kid beamed “But then dad started drinking and started yelling at mom again. I’m getting tired of it, I can’t concentrate so I came over here again so I could work on my holiday homework with Dae but you still weren’t here. I waited though I played by myself a bit and then sat on your porch. When I saw the lights I hid in the bush since I was a bit scared.”

 

Seunghyun nodded as he poured honey into the small cup with a tea bag pouring the boiling liquid into the cup. “Well I’m glad you’re okay. Here drink this so you can warm up” he handed the cup to Seungri as he went to make his coffee. Wincing at the twinge of pain in his shoulder.

 

Seungri remained quiet as he sipped at the hot liquid.

 

Turning off the burners Seunghyun went to sit at the table with his brewed coffee. He needed to start crunching numbers again.

 

“Hyung what happened to your arm?”

 

“I had an accident Seungri” he looked up and noticed the kid looked absolutely exhausted. “Come on kiddo time for you to get some sleep” he said as he stood again wincing at the twinge from his ribs. The boy nodded and put down his cup before hopping off the counter. He followed his hyung to Dae’s room. He quickly placed his backpack on the floor next to Dae’s and took off all of his jackets and pants.

 

Seunghyun grabbed a pair of clean sweats and handed them to Seungri along with shirt “Here, put these on and go to sleep.” The boy did as told and then climbed unto the bed next to Daesung where Seunghyun made sure they were okay and had enough blankets.

 

Sitting back in the kitchen, he sipped his coffee as he stared at his ledger. There had to be something he could do. Finishing his coffee he went ahead and grabbed his ledger to stuff it in his drawer. Reaching into the cabinet he got himself some ibuprofen. The doctor had prescribed him some stronger painkillers but there had been no way he could afford them without insurance he was already dreading the hospital bill when it came in the mail.

 

With tears threatening to spill from his eyes, he turned the lights off and headed to his cramped room. He stopped at his parent’s door and lightly touched it. “I’m sorry mom… dad. I’m trying so hard but everything seems to fail” he whispered before walking into his room.

 

~

 

Jiyong rolled over when the alarm on his phone rang in the early morning. Burying his face into the soft pillow he slowly blinked his eyes focusing on the room. With a sigh he got up from the bed and padded over to the bathroom. The nice clerk had provided him with towels and soap and shampoo, he quickly shed his sleeping clothes and the shower head to warm. He looked around the small bathroom, it had been a long time since he had taken a shower in a bathtub.

 

He got in and relished as the warm water cascaded down his back. He quickly went about cleaning himself and washing his hair. With one last sigh he shut the water off and got out toweling himself dry with the fluffy towel.

 

Coming back out into the room he fetched his suit case and grabbed his suit. He quickly pulled on his clothes and pulled on his coat. Packing his things he made sure nothing was being left behind and that the room wasn’t too messy.

 

Walking down the stairs he walked up to the counter where the nice clerk was.

 

“Well good morning! Would you like a cup of coffee sweetheart?” she asked as she took the key he gave back to her. “No thank you, I have to head out so I can make it to Dallas” Jiyong declined as he adjusted his scarf.

 

“Oh I don’t think you’ll be able to go anywhere today” the lady said as she pointed to the TV mounted in the corner. “You have got to be kidding me” he murmured as he saw the weather man gesturing to the map. He walked over to the front door and pulled it open.

 

The world had turned completely white and not the white Christmas white, it was mountains of the white stuff. He closed the door behind him and tried to walk through the white stuff only to slip and fall. Groaning he massaged his knee, this wasn’t just snow it was ice.

 

He slipped and slid to where he had parked his car and let out a whimper. This couldn’t be happening to him, his car was under a small mountain of packed ice. He touched it and felt the solidness of it. There was no way he could drive in this plus there was nothing he could do to take the ice off the car. By the time the ice melted it would be too late.

 

With a defeated sigh he made his way back into the inn where he accepted the offer to drink a cup of coffee as he watched the news. Looks like the storm had affected quite a bit of north Texas and the Midwest states. He pulled his phone out and called his partner who he was going to meet in Dallas but there was no answer.

 

Sighing there was no way he could stay here. With some resolve he asked the lady if he could leave his things with her while he went to look around. She gladly accepted and he put his suitcase behind the front desk and he left pulling his beanie and scarf tight around him.

 

He slipped a few times but luckily he didn’t end up eating ice, he made it to the police station and luckily he managed to find Michael.

 

“No can do man. We only have one vehicle that can drive in these types of conditions and it ain’t to drive your to Dallas. Sorry.” The man denied as he sipped his coffee.

 

“You don’t understand I have to get to Dallas. There has to be a way out of this back water town” Jiyong fumed as he glared at the other man.

 

“You know what man. There is nobody keeping you here. You can walk it for all I care” Michael said as he waved at one of his co-workers “See you later!” the man waved as he walked away from Jiyong.

 

Sighing Jiyong ran after him, “Wait, what do you expect me to do then?” “I don’t know you’re a grown man figure it out” Michael shrugged off the Jiyong’s hand as he pulled up the collar of his police jacket and pulled on a beanie. Jiyong stared as the man walked away from him.

 

With a sigh he leaned against the brick wall where the ice wasn’t as packed.

 

“You know, you aren’t a bad kid but you really need to get your straight.”

 

Jiyong turned his head looking at the older police man, the older man was lighting a cigarette.

 

“Listen you ain’t leaving today that’s for sure and I’m pretty sure your meeting is done if it happened at all. I suggest you find something better to do with your time” the man said and threw his cigarette out into the empty street before disappearing back into the building.

 

Frowning Jiyong pulled away from the wall and decided to go and have lunch. Luckily some of the diners and the one small grocery store were still open.

 

As he was perusing the aisles for something edible he saw a couple of women talking off by the register.

 

“Poor Mark he has it hard already and then with what happened it’s gonna be harder. Daesung is such a good kid though... they don’t deserve it.”

 

“I know I’m grabbing some stuff to take over there. Michael told me they didn’t even have a tree set up. He’s trying to get the Christmas tree guys to give him a small one, but who knows those people are damn stingy” the other woman said as looked into her basket.

 

Jiyong took a deep breath and looked down at his shopping basket. Mark, Seunghyun… the guy he could’ve killed.

 

“That poor soul… I’m gonna talk to the other teachers and see if we can’t get together and do something for them.” the other woman agreed as she paid for the items.

 

With an ever growing sense of guilt Jiyong purchased his items and then went over to the diner. The woman there would be able to tell him more about Seunghyun.  

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

And as usual...comments? Hope you enjoyed it. :)