Chapter 1

A Winter Miracle

Here it is! Sorry it took longer than normal.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

A Winter Miracle – Chapter 1

 

“Hyung! Hyung! Wake up come on!”

 

“Yeah hyung! Get up! Please!?”

 

Seunghyun groaned as the voices of his younger brother and his best friend careened through his peacefully sleeping mind. He squinted his eyes open to look at the small clock next to him. 7:30 AM… he was going to kill those two.

 

“HYUNG! PLEASE WAKE UP!!”

 

“THERE’S SNOW HYUNG! COME AND LOOK!!”

 

Sighing he rose his body aching from having worked late at the wood shop the night before and then hurrying over to help people at the Christmas tree sale. “I’m coming! Give me a minute.”

 

He placed his bare fee on the floor and yelped at the freezing wood that touched his feet. Considerably more awake he reached over and pulled on his boots and stumbled out of his cramped room to the one bathroom in the house. He spotted the two boys by the window already decked out in coats and scarves to head out into the world of white.

 

“Wait for me okay? I don’t want ya’ll to slip and die” he said as he walked into the bathroom to do his business and wash his face.

 

Once he was dressed and freshened up enough he walked into the cramped kitchen and put a kettle on to boil some water.

 

“Come on hyung! You’re so slow!” Daesung ran to him and pulled on his flannel covered arm. “Give me a minute Dae. You know I can’t function without coffee” he batted his brother away as he turned to get his travel mug and spoon in some instant coffee grounds and sugar. When the kettle whistled he quickly made his brew smiling happily when he inhaled the sweet aroma.

 

Grabbing his coat along with scarf and gloves he shrugged them on and turned to the boys who were about to burst from excitement. He swore they were more excited than they normally were on Christmas morning.

 

“Alright let’s go.”

 

“YAY!”
 

The two little whirlwinds pulled the door open and rushed outside with gleeful shouts. Stepping out unto the porch he watched as the two boys threw snowballs at each other shouting kiddy obscenities at each other. He looked around and figured he might as well put some up a few Christmas lights while he had the time. Setting down the travel mug he stepped out unto snow covered pathway and made his way to the small shack off the side of the house.

 

Grabbing the box with the decorations he makes his way back to the house glancing out for the two who were now in the plans to make ‘the biggest snowman in world.’ Smiling, he couldn’t help the warm feeling at seeing his brother so happy along with Seungri. Seunghyun and Daesung were left without parents a while back but at least they had and loved each other, poor Seungri. He had both his parents but they were always fighting and his daddy was a drunk while his mother didn’t want him. The poor kid practically lived here with them. As much a Seunghyun loved the other kid too he was struggling to make ends meet, and with having another mouth to feed it was constricting on his wallet.

 

Speaking of which he had to go to the churches around town and maybe Goodwill to see if any of those folks could help him with getting something for his brother and maybe even Seungri. Sighing he ran a hand through his hair before he got to putting up the string of lights.

 

“Hyung I’m hungry!” Daesung ran up to him, his nose and cheeks red from having been playing in the cold. Seungri lingered back patting the snow unto the snowman even though it was ready. “Alright kiddo I got stuff to makes us some sandwiches. Come on Seungri let’s eat” he called waving the smaller kid over. No matter how tight his wallet was he could never turn the boy who was his brother’s best friend and like his own brother away.

 

The kids made their way to the space heater in the living room to warm up while Seunghyun headed to the small kitchen to pull out half a loaf of bread and some ham and cheese and mustard from the refrigerator. He put three sandwiches together and then grabbed a pack of Kool-Aid to mix into a pitcher.

 

“Alright you two come and eat!” he yelled setting the plate on the table and then pouring some of the fruity drink into two large tumblers. The two kids devoured their sandwiches not even whining about the crust but Seunghyun knew that in their situation there was no room to be whining about not liking the crust. He watched as the two kids shared their drink smiling in happiness when they both leaned back in their chairs.

 

“Thank you hyung.”

 

The two chorused.

 

“You’re welcome” he smiled at the two as he quickly ate his sandwich. It was almost time for him to go to work.

 

Finishing up he put the plate in the sink and drank the rest of the juice before putting the pitcher in the refrigerator. Walking into the living room he made a mental note to try and get a small tree so he and Daesung could decorate it together later on.

 

“Come on kiddos I need to go to work and time to go to school for you two” he announced grabbing the keys to his old pickup truck. The two kids grumbled as they both grabbed their back packs.

 

He dropped the two just in time for school to start today was their last day before the school holiday. He needed to get as many hours as possible today since starting tomorrow he won’t have the advantage of the two being in school.

 

Arriving at the wood shop he greeted old man Richard who was already at work. “Hey Mark, glad to see you made it. Help me out here! I need some help sanding down this sleigh!” Seunghyun sighed with a slight chuckle. A lot of people in this town had given up trying to pronounce his name so they gave him one, Mark.

 

Taking off his excess clothing he got to helping the old man finish his orders. Half way through the day the old man gave him some money so he could go down to the diner to get them lunch. Seunghyun knew by heart what the old man wanted, a fried chicken sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, mustard one Texas toast. He usually just got a sub with turkey and all the ts.

 

Getting his order he thanked Martha who waved him off with an extra order of cinnamon churros on the house. Happily munching on the cinnaminy goodness he failed to notice the car that was going just a bit too fast and the stop pedestrian signal for him.
 

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Comments?