Forty-six

Work, Play...Bliss

As Min begged me to hold on until the doctor arrived, I heard our manager physically remove Dong Ho's angry form from the room. That was the last thing I remembered as the deepest darkness I've ever known washed over me.

Morning light streamed into a large room when I opened my eyes. I felt really bad. Everything hurt! The kind Japanese doctor was always there when I passed in and out of consciousness that night. In the morning, he made it possible for me to fly home that day, even accompanying me on the flight to make sure everything was set up and gone through. After I was checked in, he confirmed with my doctor about everything. The next day, he stopped by to tell me goodbye. 

Spending nearly two weeks in the hospital gave me plenty of time to think everything through. 

The manager came on the second day with legal papers. I refused to sign them. “After what he did, why won’t you sign these?” 

“He wasn’t in his right mind. He had far too much to drink that night.” I explained quietly. 

“Dong Ho almost killed you, Min Ki!” He ran his hands through his hair exasperatedly. Then glance at me. “Has this happened before, Min Ki?” Anger colored his voice. 

“No, it never happened before." I replied flatly. 

“If that’s the truth and you won’t sign these papers, what course of action do you want me to take?” He stared at me in utter bewilderment.

I thought for a moment. “Don’t fire them. I’ll stay long enough to train a replacement and find a different job. I would like help finding a good job that I would like almost as much as this one. Please don’t say anything about this to them until I am gone as a personal favor to me.” I held eye contact with him. He was quiet for a few moments gazing out the window then he reluctantly agreed.

Pacing back and forth, he nodded. “I will do this favor for you, Min Ki. I think it best that you recover now. They will not come near you here. When you get out and make sure you are completely healed up, I think it best for those two to have some long vacation time separating you for a while so you can figure out how you want to handle this mess. Except…” He met my eyes as another brief staring contest ensued. He nodded. “You keep me informed of everything! He is not to go near you. I will make that perfectly clear but not tell him the exact reason, thus keeping our deal. Does that sound acceptable?” I nodded. “Okay, but these will stay close to me if anything, and I mean anything happens. That is my stipulation. Fair?” I nodded again. “Alright.” A very sad look spread on my manager’s face. “I am sorry beyond words for not being able to prevent this from happening, Min Ki. I failed in my duties to protect you!” He hung his head.

After a moment, I cleared my throat. “You couldn’t have known any more than I could have. Help me quietly pick up the pieces and move on.” I met his tear-filled eyes. Just then, a soft chime emanated from his phone clutched in his hand. “One moment, please, Min Ki. I have to take this.” 

“Alright!” I answered flatly. I gazed out the window as I heard snippets of conversation. Then the call ended. 

“I have to leave. Anything, no matter what, that you need or want during the remainder of your hospital stay… Simply name it and it is yours. Anything!”  His eyes met mine until I gave in, nodding. 

“Wait! There is something! Please, do not mention any of this to my mother!” I pleaded gravely, paling at the thought. 

“I reserve that right to you, Min Ki.” Moving towards the door, my manager stopped. “I am really sorry, Min Ki, about everything! I really have to take care of a long list of things or I would stay and keep you company. I will come and check on you tomorrow.” A soft smile spread across his face as I made puppy eyes up at him. 

“No worries! I’ll be here. Coffee and anything sweet would be very appreciated!” I winked, moving a bit to straighten my back. 

“Done! See you tomorrow, Min Ki!” He bowed deeply, leaving silently.

I took a deep breath. I was alone again. I felt twisted, hurt, smeared, forsaken, and very, very broken. I was no longer who I was. Not anymore. Roling to my side, I watched the soft white linen curtains sway in the light breeze coming in the window. 

Tears fell. 

Mercifully, sleep stole me away.

Nightmares followed. 

 

A gentle shake woke me.

Min stood by my side with a hand full of tissues, pointing to my nose. 

Trying to sit up, they both had to help me. “Hey!” I mumbled, shoving the tissues against my nose. 

“Hi, sweetheart!” Aron smiled sadly. Min was choked up beside him as tears welled in his eyes. A moment later, he visibly pulled himself together as Aron handed him some tissues. “Brought you some dinner! Hospital food is always lacking.” Min tried to meet my eyes. 

“Yeah, didn’t want you lonely on top of everything.” Min's voice cracked. Aron rubbed Min’s back, attempting to comfort him.

“Thank you! I’m starving! I really hate being alone here, but it could be much worse.” I frowned, pushing dark thoughts out of my head. 

“That’s why we are here!” Aron set the three stuffed bags on the rolling table by my bed. Pulling up a chair close to my bed for Min, Aron got another chair for himself. 

As Min took food out of the bags, he paused. “Manager said it would be closer to two weeks before you get to check out.” His red eyes met mine. 

“Yeah, I’m supposed to relax, take my time, and heal up. My body was really run down from the concert and all the activities around it...Plus what happened.” 

Min handed me a bowl of delicious smelling creamy chicken soup. One of my favorites when I’m sick. He handed a container of food to Aron, then sat down. Taking the lid off of his food, he poked absently at it. “Manager made it very clear, upon instant termination, that Baek Ho and Jr are to stay well away from you at all times when we aren’t at work.” He paused a moment. “He also said you refused to sign the legal papers and that you don’t want them fired. Can I ask why?” Min pinned me with a heavily concerned gaze.

“Baek Ho wasn’t in his right mind… Or he showed me the real him.” It was my turn to tear up. 

After moments of silence, sniffles, and eating, Aron spoke up. “I don’t think they know what happened… What they did to you. Baek Ho definitely does not remember what he did!”  Aron tried to stifle his growing anger.

Min paled. 

More silence. 

“So beautiful, tell us what is going on in that sharp, wonderful mind of yours and how we can help.” Aron tried to change the topic for all our sakes as he stood and put away used containers. 

___________________________________

 

Every night for nearly two weeks, Min and Aron brought me dinner, eating with me. Everything was always good, telling me it was expensive. When I asked them about it, Aron smirked. We got a credit card. “Anything Min Ki wants, get it. No questions asked. Use this!” That was our manager's explanation along with “Have dinner with him every night!”

Make sense. 

Three nights they brought movies and munchies, watching them in a cozy puppy pile on Aron’s laptop. Three times they brought games, cheesy popcorn, sodas, and candy as well as pizza. Two nights they took turns reading to me as I colored pictures with gel pens. It really made the stay so much easier. Because of them, it went by quicker, better, and it helped keep the nightmares away. 

During the day, it was much harder. Min and Aron had to work. A nurse took pity on me. She took me to the therapy room to work a little every few hours. A little grew steadily to more. The punching bag quickly became my favorite as I pictured Dong Ho's face with each punch.

Almost two weeks trickled by. 

On Thursday morning two weeks later, my doctor said everything looked great! I could be released at noon after rechecking all my vitals as well as a few other tests, just to be sure. 

I was beyond ecstatic! 

Calling my manager first, I told him my good news. “That’s excellent, Min Ki! I will have Baek Ho and Jr cleaning the entire studio. It should keep them very busy all day. I will arrange for Min and Aron to pick you up at noon and stay with you for the rest of the day. I’ll set up their week-long vacation back home starting Friday. Does that sound acceptable to you?”

“Where are they staying on Thursday night?” I couldn’t hide the stark fear in my voice. 

“They will spend the night at my place. No worries, Min Ki. I have this taken care of.” My manager tried to sound firm. 

“Alright! That sounds good. Any luck finding a replacement yet?” I knew it was too short of a timeframe, but I asked anyway.

“No, not yet. I do have about thirty possibilities on my desk, but your shoes will be very hard to fill, Min Ki as well as the huge hole you’re leaving will make." He paused a moment in thought. "I will start going through candidate files first thing in the morning, deal?” 

“Deal! Sorry to be pushy.” I apologized sadly. 

“Be pushy, Min Ki. I fully understand.” He quickly replied.

After a moment of awkward silence, I cleared my throat. “I want to get my hair done tomorrow. Would that be alright?” I asked, changing the subject. I decided that I needed a change when I looked in the mirror, the blonde didn’t work anymore. 

“Sure! No problem! I trust your fantastic taste." He paused again. "Look, I gotta go, but I will make sure they are there at noon to pick you up, alright?” He double-checked. 

“Sounds like a plan!” I tried to smile, but couldn’t feel it. 

After a moment, my manager asked gently. “How are you feeling, Min Ki?” 

My mind went blank. “Truthfully, I don’t know.” 

“Things will get better! I promise.” My manager guaranteed. “ Rest easy. I’ll talk to you soon.” He quickly ended the call. 

I waited for ten minutes, then texted Min. “Call when you are alone!” 

Suddenly I felt incredibly restless but I didn’t know why.

Twenty minutes later, Min called. “Hi, Sweetheart! What’s up?” His voice echoed. 

“Where are you?” I inquired, amused. 

“Ladies bathroom! Someplace Baek Ho won’t go!” Min snickered manically. 

I couldn’t help laughing. “True! Did the Manager talk to you?”

“Yeah! He called me and Aron to his office. Something about you getting discharged at noon tomorrow and you needed to get your hair done. Is all that right?” Min checked curiously. 

“Yeah, that's right. I need to change my hair, but I wanted to pack and be at mom’s before the other two get home. Will you and Aron be able to help me? I really don’t want to impose…” I started but Min cut in. 

“You could never impose! We will see you soon. Don’t leave without us! Okay? ” Min’s firm, no-questions-asked voice waited for my reply. 

“Yes, Min! I will be waiting. Impatiently!” I sighed dramatically and received a chuckle for my efforts. "See you soon! Gotta go!” Min hung up abruptly which told me someone was looking for him. 

That night, Min and Aron were in an uproar with pizza, sodas, cheesecake from my favorite bakery, and cards. They had to leave early but would be here at noon with bells on.

Tossing back and forth most of the night, I finally flipped the blankets back and swung my feet off the bed. Too restless! Pulling the bed together, I started packing my things in the suitcase Min brought almost two weeks ago. Going over the room once more to make sure I didn’t forget anything, I gazed out the window. Leaving everything on the bed, I paced back and forth a dozen or so times before deciding to walk the halls.

After hearing a clumsy attempt at playing the piano, I came to the doorway and peeked inside.

“Hi, honey! This is the children’s wing. Do you by chance play?” A frazzled nurse smiled at me. I nodded. “Children, would you like someone to play for you?” The nurse asked as I edged into the room. About fifteen or so children of various ages screamed in an excited response. There was no turning back now! Walking over to the piano, I sat on the bench and tried to remember children’s songs. “Oh, we have a book of children’s songs around here somewhere!” The nurse went around the large room looking for it. 

A moment later, a slight tug on my sleeve brought my attention down where a small girl with pretty hazel eyes who handed me the songbook. “We found it!” I let the nurse who was still frantically searching know. Turning back to the small girl, I smiled. “Would you like to sit beside me?” 

Smiling a missing front tooth smile, the child nodded happily as she climbed up on the bench beside me. Brushing her hair out of her face, she waited. 

“Which song should we start with?” I asked her, opening the songbook. 

“Farm song!” Her smile grew larger!

After nearly two hours of enjoyable playing, I glanced at the doorway to find Min leaning against Aron, watching me with the kids. Most of the children had fallen asleep on the mats and blankets cluttering the room. The little girl who sat beside me fell asleep about twenty minutes ago only after I pinkie promised that I would come back to play for them again. 

The now relaxed nurse put on a soft album to continue the atmosphere then stood next to me. “Thank you so much, Ren, for sharing your very special gifts with us today.” Nurse Soo Lee beamed proudly at me. I knew her name because we talked off and on when the kids took snacks and bathroom breaks. 

“Do you have some paper? I will give you my number. I would really like to come and regularly play for them. You can think about it and call me when you have a rough schedule worked out.” I offered as I slowly rose to my feet. 

“That is very kind of you, Ren! I will call you in a few days when I have spoken to all the nurses. As for you, Epsom salt baths for at least a week and no long-standing periods for at least two weeks. Call me with any questions or problems you may have no matter how small they may be. Alright?” Nurse Soo Lee watched my face carefully. 

I couldn’t help the smile that lit my face. “Thank you! I sure will! Thank you for letting me play for them. It meant more than I can say.”

“I should be thanking you! That was the calmest they have been in a long time. It was a pleasure to meet you, Ren! I will be calling you in a few days. Take good care of yourself, honey! You are a very special person!” She hugged me tightly. 

“Thank you, Soo Lee! I will, and thank you again for this!” I gestured around the room.

“Anytime, Honey! If you need to escape, come anytime. I will let all the nurses know. Now, go get started reclaiming your life, sweetie! But take it easy until you heal completely, and it will take a while inside and out. Alright?” She held my eyes until I nodded. Moving away, she started tidying up the room as quietly as she could.  

As I turned to leave, I felt a small tug on my pant leg. The little girl who sat with me nearly the whole time gazed up at me. “Thank you, Rennie! You are my shining star! Please come back soon and play for us again!” 

Smiling, I knelt down and hugged her tightly. “I promise I’ll be back really soon. Maybe I’ll even bring my friends to play too!” I pointed to Min and Aron who ventured a bit more into the room. She waved to them and they waved back smiling. 

“Pinkie Promise!” The child was instantly serious as only children can be. She held out her tiny pinkie waiting. 

Although I already did, I  the same, and she squished them together. “Pinkie promise!” I smiled brightly. “Nurse Soo Lee has my number. If you need music, let her know and she’ll call me, okay?”

“Okay!!” She jumped up and down excitedly. “Thank you, Rennie!” 

“Anytime, sweetie!” Standing up, I swayed on my feet. Aron was just suddenly there, holding my arm and steadying me. “I’ve got you, Ren.” He said softly. I nodded, hating how weak I was. “Let’s get you checked out.”

Nodding again, I turned back and waved goodbye to the kids still awake. “Goodbye!” I said softly. When we were down the hall, I took a deep breath. Min and Aron hugged me from both sides. We stayed that way for a while. 

“They will never hurt you again! I promise!” Min vowed, meeting my eyes.

“That goes double for me!” Aron added.

We walked back to my room where a nurse was waiting. “Thank you for helping the kids today, Ren. It was very sweet of you! Let’s get the paperwork done and get you on your way.” She smiled proudly as Aron and Min collected my things. 

As we were walking to Aron’s car, a thought hit me. I paused. “ When one door closes, another opens.” Min and Aron stopped to gaze at me. “My new job will be working with children through music.” I smiled, contently having found the one piece that had me unsettled for as long as I’d been in the hospital, knowing my whole life was going to change. 

“So… You are leaving?” Min asked softly but his voice still cracked. 

“I can’t stay, not after that. I agreed to stay until they find a replacement, so I’m not going right away.” Reaching out, I pulled Min into a tight hug. Aron hugged us. 

We drove home first so I could pack as quickly as possible. Min and Aron made sure I didn’t lift anything heavy. It only took about an hour. Aron took my suitcase that I had changed out from what I had in from the hospital stay. I grabbed my sunglasses, a black leather backpack, and my sweatshirt. 

 “Where do you want to get your hair done?” Aron asked as he put the suitcase in the trunk. 

“Anywhere,” I said flatly. I was changing my appearance because it wasn’t who I was anymore. I think they understood and didn't question me. Min knew a small out of the way salon with really nice ladies running it. An hour later, a rich brown replaced the blonde. 

“You still look beautiful!” Aron stated softly, smiling. 

“I don’t feel that way anymore.” I frowned, gazing away.

“Ren, you will always be beautiful to us. We will always be family, the three of us. Now, let’s get you home. You need to rest.” Min wrapped his arm around my shoulder. 

“Damn!” I cursed softly under my breath, pausing suddenly.

“What?!” Min yelped at my sudden outburst.

“I put off telling my mom, then I spaced telling her anything completely! She doesn’t know any of this.” I bit my lip, pulling my phone out of my pocket. I hit her number and waited. 

After three rings, she answered. “Hello, Min Ki! How was Japan?” She asked brightly.

“Hi, mom…” Too much! My voice cracked instantly

“Min Ki, baby, what’s wrong?” Her soothing words made my eyes tear up. 

After a moment to feebly collect myself, I asked. “Can I hide with you for a few days?” I mumbled, feeling worse by the moment. 

“Are you alright?” She paused for an explanation. I had none. “Sweetheart, what happened?” She had only guessed, but she was dead on. Mom always seemed to know exactly what was going on… Even before I said anything.

“Maybe… I am hurting pretty bad, mom.” I replied quietly. 

“Where are you, Min Ki?” Her voice grew more concerned. 

“Aron and Min are driving me home now. I’ll be there shortly.” I answered softly as Min rubbed soothing circles on my back.

“I am so sorry, Min Ki. I have about two more hours of work then I will be home. Do you have your spare key?” She checked.

“I never leave without it.” I tried to smile, but failed and my voice betrayed this. 

“Do you need me to pick anything up for you on the way home?” She asked softly, still worried. 

“Epsom salt. The doctor said Epsom salt baths for a week, maybe longer.” Damn! Mom could always get me to spill without even trying. 

“MIn Ki, how bad did he hurt you?” Her voice now carried a spark of anger. She already put the pieces together.

I took a deep breath. “Enough to put me in the hospital. He was drinking with Jr… It's a long story with a short ending. I will tell you when you get home.” I sounded as dejected as I felt. 

“Sweetheart, rest on the sofa. I will be home as soon as I can. I love you, Min Ki!” I heard so many emotions swirling in her voice.

“I will. I love you, too!” I couldn’t hide my emotions anymore.

“Bye!” She ended the call abruptly. 

As I pushed the button, my phone rang. Dong Ho! Taking a deep breath, I answered flatly. “Yeah!” I really did not want to talk to him. 

“What’s up? Where are you?” He sounded worried with a hint of anger. 

“Going home.” 

 “What? Why? I wanted you to come home with me to meet my parents!” He explained as his voice sounded hopeful. 

“No, that won’t be happening. I can’t be around you or Jr from now on. I am hanging up now!” Ending the call without giving him another chance to speak, I wrapped my arms around my waist. 

“That was him, wasn’t it?” Min asked, anger setting off in his voice. I nodded. “That bastard has the balls to call you after what happened? Hasn’t he noticed that you’ve been gone for nearly two weeks?” Min fumed.

“Easy, Min! The manager told them Ren was at a funeral in Busan. I don’t think Dong Ho even remembers what happened that night so he has no clue.” Aron weakly explained. 

“I would have to agree with that, Aron. Dong Ho just asked me to go home with him to meet his parents!” I frowned, so not wanting to deal with this right now. 

______________________________________

Min and Aron only stayed long enough to set my suitcase inside the front door after driving me home. 

“Sorry, Ren! We have some things to do. If there is anything you need, or if anything, and I mean anything happens, no matter how small… Call right away!” Min locked eyes with me. 

After a moment of intense staring, I folded. “Alright!” I bowed my head in defeat. 

“Hey, we are not trying to be mean!” Aron tipped my chin up. “We love you and are still worried about you! If you thought we were overly protective last time… Well, we are tons more now!” 

Letting out the breath I was holding, I smiled softly. “I know. I’m sorry. I'm still numb inside right now.”

“That is totally understandable!” Aron smiled back, ruffling my newly colored hair. 

“Yah!!” I batted his hand away, glaring.

“Just checking.” He winked playfully. 

“We have to get going. Call or else!” Min threatened cutely. 

“I will! Get going and thank you!” I waved as they walked back to Aron’s car and got in. They waved back as they pulled out into traffic. 

Closing the door, I leaned my back against it. I felt strangely hollow inside, and definitely not in a good way. I just wanted to curl up and cry until I passed out… Then repeat as much as it took to get it all out. Just then, my loud stomach made other plans. 

After about a half-hour messing around the kitchen, snacking lightly, and making some tea, a loud knocking startled me. As I walked to the front door, an all too familiar voice called. “Ren! I need to talk to you!” 

I nearly died! 

Holding my breath, I counted to ten. 

Knock! Knock! 

“I know you are there. Please talk to me!” His voice sounded tired. 

“Why?” I groaned, so not wanting to open the door. I slowly edged to the door.

“Please!” He pleaded.

“No!” I laid my head against the door. Taking a deep breath, I opened it slightly and quickly moved away. Wrapping my arms around my waist, I waited. 

 Slowly the door opened. I edged farther away, glancing at my feet.

“What’s going on, Min Ki?” He asked, closing the door behind him. Taking a few steps toward me, he stopped when I backed away. 

“Everything! Everything is wrong now. This…” I gestured between us. “This is all wrong! Nothing feels right anymore. I feel empty, hurt, confused… and on top of that…” I sharply met his eyes. “Used, dirty, and shattered! Please, just go! See your family.” I turned to move away.

Suddenly, strong arms wrapped gently around me, holding me. “I know I crossed the line, somehow.” He rested his forehead on the back of my head. “You have not spoken to me in almost two weeks… Not a single word. Not since that last night in Japan. I’ve been racking my brain trying to remember… Trying to find a way to talk to you... Hold you... Figure things out.” He eased me around to face him. “Make it right again.” Lips pressed tentatively against my own. 

Damn him! He was always hard to resist, but when I’m hurting… This time was different! 

“I wanted to please you both…” He began.

I froze. “You still don’t remember what you did to me, do you?” Anger started to spark.

“No, I don’t! Please, I will do anything you want to fix this, just please don’t leave me!” Fearful sadness deepened his voice. 

“I am…” Lips abruptly locked on mine. At one time, that would have made me melt and give in… but not this time.

He must have felt it too. Panic colored his voice now. “Say you are still mine!?” He bagged. “Say you are not leaving me!”

“I can’t do that.” I locked eyes with him. 

His face fell. “Are you… Still my lover?”

Anger flared through me. “Whose lover am I? Yours? Jr’s? Community property?! Thinking so little of me at times you shouldn’t!” I nearly screamed the last at him.

“Min Ki…” He began to defend himself. 

“Maybe I should sleep with Min and Aron to make it official that I am simply a .” I pushed him away, only to have pain flare to life in my abdomen as I tried to walk past him. 

Catching my wrist, he pulled me back to him. “I told you… Never call yourself that, but it seems this time I caused you to feel like that.“ Tilting my chin up so our eyes met, he took a deep breath. “You colored your hair… and cut it.” Softly he brushed his fingers through it. “You have the most amazing body, the brightest mind, the most mischievous smile, and the biggest heart of anyone I have ever known. I didn't mean to make you feel that way. I was not thinking.” 

Recoiling, I took a step back. “No, you were not thinking! You brushed me off to get drunk with your best friend and hang out with the ladies at the bar. Then, after I was molested in the club’s bathroom, you accused me of ing Aron in the there. After that…” Tears stung my eyes as pain burned through me. My heart felt like metal talons were squeezing it.

“Then?” He gently held my arms.

“Didn’t you notice the blood when you woke up?” I glared at him as the first stirrings of true hatred began.

His arms dropped as he paled. “I … I thought I … Hurt myself… I didn’t think it was yours!” Stumbling backward, the shock made pieces come together in his mind but not enough.

Wrapping my arms back around my waist, I let the vibrant pain surging through me meld into hot angry hatred.

“I will get everything sorted out, just please, give me some time!” He moved in front of me, crushing his lips to mine. Frantic hands began trekking wildly over my body. 

“Dong Ho! Please, stop!” I sounded so weak, so pathetic! I hated it! 

“Do you really want me to stop?” His hand teased lower along my belt. 

“I....” Stammering, my mind stumbled as he moved his hand lower, harder. Dipping his head down, he on my neck as he opened my jeans. At one time, this would have been something smoldering out of my steamier dreams, but now, all it did was completely set off my darkening anger more. “Get away from me! I don’t want this!” I screamed at him.

That stunned him enough to make him stop and back away from me. 

“You didn’t hear a damn word I said!!” I pulled my clothes and myself together. “If you want to , go Jr! I told you from the beginning, I don’t ! I want to be made love to… Not…. Never what happened in Japan! And I certainly don’t need to pretend or have my best buddy there to get the job done!” My anger exploded along with my mouth. It had been so long since I gave into my anger.

Done.

I was so done!

“What?!?” Anger darkened his features now. 

“You heard me! We-” I gestured dramatically between us. “Are done!” 

“Min Ki!” He cried out as if I’d physically hurt him. 

That was the last straw. 

“You keep calling me that. You don’t deserve to call me by my name!” This time I was beyond ready. 

“I think you are taking this a bit... “ Was as far as he got. The last few days in the hospital found me so restless that I couldn’t sit still. I thank that sympathetic nurse who showed me the workout room allowing me to use the punching bag a few times a day. She even gave me some pointers. Hitting the punching bag around, thinking of his face had greatly paid off. My closed fist flew almost of its own accord, connecting beautifully with his face. 

As he flew back, landing on his . Shock paled his features again. 

“Get the hell out of my house! Don’t ever come back!” I stood my ground. This time things had gone too far to fix. 

“But I ...“ He muttered.

“Tell it to Jr. You two make a cute couple! Now, get the hell out!!” I let my voice drop low so he knew I was not bluffing. Clambering to his feet, he glanced at me. Hurt disbelief glowing in his eyes. “Don’t ever try touching me again. We are done! I don’t even know you anymore!” I silently cursed the tears streaking down my cheek. I brushed them away angrily

“Min...” His voice cracked. 

“Never call me that again! It was a privilege you no longer deserve! LEAVE!!” I yelled the last word at him. Stumbling to the door, he paused, then left. 

Falling to my knees, everything inside me cracked wide open. Curling into a ball, I cried the last pieces of myself out in wretched screams. 

_____________________________

Sometime later, my mom came home. Dropping everything inside the doorway, she rushed over to me. Gathering me into her arms, she rocked me, crying with me. 

After a long while, I calmed enough to tell her what happened. Everything up to the confrontation I just had with Dong Ho not long ago. 

She was quiet for a moment as she ran her fingers through my hair. “I like the new color. It suits you.” She smiled proudly, edging around the hard topics I just confessed. 

“Which one did you like better?” I asked absently. 

“The one you are comfortable with.” She stopped her soothing touch as I sat up, meeting her soft gaze. I knew that look. She had something important to tell me that I would have to think about. “Min Ki, when a replacement is found, why don’t you come back with Auntie and me? I was not going to bring it up because I thought things were working out for you. But now, why don’t you move back with us?” She waited for me to digest what she had just said. 

Dropping my eyes, I thought about the idea she laid out before me. “That sounds like something I would agree to.” I smiled, meeting her warm gaze.

Staying long enough to have an early dinner with her, I was thankful. This was the first touch of true healing I had received since that horrific night two weeks ago. And playing the piano for those lovely children at the hospital. I shared this amazing event with mom. 

“I wish you would stay the night at least, but I understand the need you have. Promise you will take extra good care of yourself! I don’t want to lose you, Min Ki!” The stark seriousness in her eyes was enough to make me promise instantly!

"I promise!" After I helped with dishes and cleaning up, I gave her a hug. She held me for a long time. “Come home often. I’ll be waiting!” She smiled at me. 

“I will! No worries.” I grinned back. 

“If it becomes too much, quit. I want you safe, Min Ki. I won’t stand by and see you hurt again.” Her voice left no room for question as she waited for my nod.

After a moment, I nodded. She smiled tiredly and went back to the kitchen. Taking my phone out, I texted Min. 

“When are you going to be home?” I asked.

“Little over an hour. Y?” Min asked.

“Are the other two gone yet?” I inquired.

“ The happy couple already left for home. Our manager made sure. Y??” Min asked again.

“Would you two like to help me with a few things?” Feeling bad that I had to pester them some more. 

“Sure, but I thought you were staying at mom’s tonight?” Min questioned worriedly.

“Sorry to spoil your night, I had a change of plans that can't wait.” I replied, sounding pushy. I instantly felt bad.

“It’s no problem! You could never spoil our night! Just don’t start ANYTHING until we get there, OKAY??” Min threatened in his response. 

It made me smile. "Okay! Thank you!" 

"You're welcome! Remember what I said!" He reminded me then hung up.

Next, I phoned our manager. I politely asked for a bunk bed and a small desk with a chair. When he asked why I explained that roommates were changing around while Jr and Baek were away. That’s all he needed to know. He asked if I wanted them tonight and made sure I was not doing any of the work. I assured him that Min and Aron would be doing it. He said he’d have some guys drop them off in an hour and pick up the old beds in the morning. He asked if I needed anything else. I said no, but I would let him know if I did. Agreeing, he said to have a good night and remember to rest! I said I would and hung up after saying goodbye. 

Originally, I planned on sleeping on Min and Aron’s floor much like a terrified little kid. Not too far from the truth! After I told them, they would have none of that, agreeing to rearrange the roommates. 

Saying goodbye to Mom, she said to wait as she’d called a taxi. “Mom!” I whined softly. 

“You are hurt, and will not be carrying that suitcase around. You could tear things that are doing a fine job healing which will mean a much longer recovery time. Does that sound fun for you?” She gave me the do-not-even-think-of-arguing look. I hadn’t been on the receiving end of that in a very long time. Bowing my head, I nodded. 

Two hours later found me packing up all of my things from upstairs… save one thing. I left the collar and chains on his bed in its box with a note on top. “For the happy couple!” 

When all the boxes stood outside my room, Jr’s old one, Min and Aron suddenly hugged me tightly. “We saw the changes, but we just didn’t know what to say or how to help!” Min confessed sadly. 

“Kind of like a car wreck in slow motion. You want to look anywhere else but can’t keep your eyes away.” Aron tried to block the elbow smash Min delivered but missed most of it.

“Not helpful Aron!” Min scolded, glaring at him. 

“Hey! No worries. Our breakup was long overdue. I saw the changes too but didn't want it to be true. I’m just sorry you always get stuck helping me out all the time.” I frowned.

“Well, I’m not! That is exactly what a family does.” Aron smiled softly, rubbing my shoulder. “And you will always be family, no matter where you are and what you are doing!” 

Pulling them closer to me, I smiled. “Thank you for so much more than I can say! Both of you!” Hugging them as tightly as I could, which wasn’t much. I felt a bit better. 

After we had Jr’s things packed up, Min directed me to the kitchen. “Doctor’s orders! Breaktime! You have some green tea and a can of yogurt. Manager Nim came by this morning with sacks of groceries and stocked the fridge. Don’t make me get mean!” He threatened but playfully wiggled his eyebrows. His voice clearly said much more. 

“Okay, only if you and Aron join me after you are done putting Jr’s boxes up in Baek Ho’s room. Deal?” I tried to take care of them in the process of them caring for me. 

“Deal! Now, take it easy a moment and replenish your body with good stuff, okay?” Suddenly, a pained curse echoed from the living room. Min smirked, ducking out of the kitchen. Grinning, I sat down with a mug of green tea Min made for me. Having a moment to think I realized something. Dong Ho was dead to me now. I would never call him that again. I would have to train myself to call him Baek Ho from now on. 

A hard knock on the front door startled me from my thoughts. Getting up, I strode over to the door. Opening it, I saw two older guys holding a small, wooden desk. “Furniture order!” The taller one announced bluntly. “Where do you want it?”

“Oh, anywhere would be good. I’ll move it later.” I opened the door wider as they carried the desk inside. 

“We would not want a pretty little thing like you to break a nail!” The shorter guy snickered as they set the desk off to the side. 

“This pretty little thing can almost bench 65 kg and punch a bag for nearly an hour!” I crossed my arms over my chest. Of course, that was when I was not speaking to Dong Ho…. I mean Baek Ho for two months. In my current state, I was a pushover!

As the shorter one took a few steps closer, Min and Aron suddenly stood behind me. “He’s all that in a fun loveable size!”  Aron grinned wickedly, clearly an open challenge from the tone of his voice. 

Groaning, the taller smacked the shorter with his hat. The pair went back outside. A half dozen trips later, all the pieces for the bunk bed and the instructions were inside. “I don’t suppose you have the other beds ready? It would save us a trip in the morning.” The tall one asked politely. 

“Yeah, they are over here.” Min directed. Fifteen minutes later, the old beds were gone. Forty-five minutes later, my bunk bed was nearly assembled. Even though Min sidelined me to the chair against the wall, I helped as a coach and instruction sheet reader. Reading off the next to last instruction, something dripped down my lip. Reaching up and wiping it on my hand, a scarlet smear stained my hand. 

“Ren!!” Aron yelled, grabbing a box of tissues and holding it out to me. I grabbed several. 

“You are pushing yourself too hard, Ren! You are far from healed! Did you get the Epsom salt?” Min was instantly at my side. 

“Yeah, mom bought me some. I was going to stay a few nights with her, but I wanted this done and off my list of worries.” I checked my nose, but it was still running crimson.

“Since you said it like that, I can’t scold you too much. Let’s get you soaking in the bathtub and rest a bit. Aron and I can finish up.” Min said on his way out of the room to get the bath ready. I yelled after him telling him where the Epsom salt was. 

By 10, I was just getting out of my bath, and my room for one was done.  If this wasn’t a strong enough message, I would quit sooner and train in Busan for something else. Maybe I should have banked on this outcome all along. It might have been easier.

Wrapping a soft blanket around my shoulders, I sat at my new desk. Tired but not tired, I decided to try and write some music. Too much was bottled up inside. The next thing I knew, there was a gentle push on my shoulder. “Umm...Ren? After all the work to assemble the bunk bed, moving everything around… Why don’t you sleep on the bed?” Min inquired, smirking as a sheet of music paper stuck to the side of my face. 

“I wasn’t tired… Then. Now I guess I am. Sorry, Min!” I frowned sleepily. 

“That look, just now- priceless! So how could I be mad?” Grinning, Min snapped a quick picture on his phone before the paper fell away from my face. 

“Funny! Goodnight, Min, and thank you so much for everything!” I met his eyes, showing how sincerely thankful I was for everything.

“You are very welcome, Ren! Anytime! You know that. Just ask. It does not matter when or where. You are a precious little brother to me. Do not forget that, ever!” Min smiled a proud warm smile, waved goodnight and closed the door behind him. 

Smiling for the first time in what seemed like an eternity, I climbed up on the already made bed. Sleep claimed me the moment my head touched the fluffy pillow.

Tonight the nightmares stayed away.