twenty-eight

Work, Play...Bliss
Much later, a soft knock at the door startled me from dark thoughts. "Ren? It's me, Jr. Can I come in?" He asked gently.
 
"No!" I said flatly.
 
"Are you alright?" He asked more concerned.
 
"No!" My voice cracked as if agreeing.
 
"Dong Ho called me. I was on my way back, but I hurried after he'd talked to me." He was silent a moment. "I do like you as a couple. He really has changed significantly since being around you. But what happened tonight shouldn't have happened! Dong Ho left. He called the manager and told him there was an emergency, and that he had to go home. He said to tell you he was sorry and that he does not expect your forgiveness."  JR explained calmly.
 
"The door is locked, and I hurt too much to move." I stated, but I was crushed by the last thing Jr said.
 
"I got it!" A few minutes later, after scraping noises and a few soft curses, the door opened. "Same doors that my house has. Easy to unlock when you've been locked out enough times." JR grinned gamely. "Can I come in?"
 
I nodded, putting my knees up, and resting my cheek on them so I could watch him. He sat my phone on the counter then leaned against it, he crossed his arms over his chest. "I wish I could ease your pain, except that is his job alone. I have caused you pain and hurt like this, too, and it's something I'm extremely not proud of." Jr was quiet for a moment, running his hands through his hair. "When I got here, he was curled up in a ball, crying outside your door. He wouldn't leave you. When he finally picked himself off the floor, he was so ashamed he wanted to hurt himself. I convinced him to go home for a few days, and get himself back together again. I paid for his cab and sent him home. He should be okay, but he wouldn't leave until I promised I'd take care of you for him. He's never fallen this hard for anyone before." Jr paused a moment. "Was he drinking, Ren?" Jr asked, moving to sit on the toilet.
 
Shaking my head, I glanced over to him. "Dong Ho doesn't drink much around me. I don't drink much at all." 
 
"I didn't think he was drunk. A fight? Did you two have a disagreement on something?" Shrugging, I looked back at the mound of bubbles at my feet. "What happened, Ren?" His voice was b with gentle concern. I couldn't open my mouth. Tears streaked down my face again as sobs rocked my shoulders. I tried to be silent as my heart cracked wider. "It will be alright, Ren! He really loves you! I don't know what happened, but he is yours. He just has to figure that out and how to right this wrong. For now, let's take care of you! I'm going to go make you some tea. Are you hungry?" 
 
As I shook my head, my phone rang. Jr picked it up off of the counter. "It's Dong Ho, do you want to talk to him?"  
 
Nodding, I held out my hand for my phone. He reached it to me and left closing the door behind him. "Speak!" I answered flatly trying not to let my strong emotions be heard.
 
"Hey!" Pain laced his voice.
 
"Where are you?" I asked numbly even though I already knew.
 
"On my way home." He replied quietly.
 
"So, you do that to me, and leave!" I was getting angry.
 
"I wanted to kill myself for what I did to you. I don't even know why I did that. I know you can't forgive me. I don't know if I'm coming..." 
 
I cut him off before he got any farther. "You listen to me, Dong Ho! I will forgive you in time. You will get your sorry back here in three days, and be the man you swore to be when you gave me this ring! I will hold you to being my lover like you promised!  Do!  You!  Understand!  Me!?" I let my anger fill my voice like water in a vase. 
 
He was quiet for a while. "You still want me?" Sad disbelief weighed his voice.
 
"!! Yes, I still want you! I still love you! I'm hurt that your not here to own up and take care of me. And I'm hurt that you think I use you! I don't, and I never would!" My voice cracked as more miserable tears streaked down my cheeks.
 
I heard him say something muffled to the driver, then he asked. "Where are you?"
 
"Just getting out of the tub!" I said draining the water to confirm what I was doing. "When I said bubble bath earlier, this is definitely not what I had in mind! Jr is making me some tea. What you should be doing!" Pain surged across my heart and my body. "Call me when you get there! Be careful! Three days!" I let him hear the pain I felt as I ended the call. I got out, toweled off, and dressed in my black flannel pj's.
 
 I wandered out to the kitchen to a yummy smell. "Sit down, sweetie! Ramen fixes everything internal with heartache. Besides, I'm hungry, and you know how I feel about eating alone. Join me, please?" He asked, pouting a bit.
 
"You're in a good mood." I sat down gingerly but managed to smile softly at him.
 
Jr didn't see my grimace. He was busy pouring green tea. Putting a large bowl of noodles, and a big mug of tea in front of me, he set the same for himself across from me. "It's nice to be needed. Contrary to popular belief, I do like taking care of people. Especially you!" He winked and sat down. "I screwed up before, and I hurt you out of jealousy, and anger. I will fix our friendship because you mean that much to me, but if he ever hurts you like this again, I will beat the crap out of him or die trying! I am still protective of you."
 
Stunned, I sat there a moment. "Thank you!" I picked up my chopsticks. We talked for a while after we finished eating. After cleaning up, Jr wanted to go to bed. "Do you want to sleep in your old bed? I'll make it for you." He offered softly.
 
I shook my head. "No, I'm sorry! Even after that, I miss him. I won't sleep much anyway." I reached out and hugged him tightly. "Thank you for the meal, your friendship, and understanding! It means a lot to me." I smiled at him.
 
"Anytime, little brother, anytime!" He hugged me back. "Thanks for letting me take care of you. Goodnight, Ren!" 
 
"Night, Jr!" I climbed up the ladder and wrapped myself in Dong Ho's blankets. They smelled like him, which tore me apart. Tears stung my eyes, and I cursed each of them as they slide down the corners of my eyes and into the sheets.
 
Vaguely I heard Aron and Min come home sometime later. Sleep quickly reclaimed me not long after. Somewhere in the night, the events played themselves out again in my dreams. I was crying hard when familiar hands eased me against the strong chest I loved. "I'm here...if you still want me?" Dong Ho whispered softly.
 
"I always want you! Just don't ever do that again!" I snuggled up against him.
 
"Can I sleep with you?" He asked before getting into bed.
 
"Please?" I was nearly asleep again. He slipped in next to me and held me tight. Instantly my heart felt better. "I'm glad you came back!" 
 
"I'm so glad you want me back." He laid his head on mine. "I love you!" He murmured against my skin. I mumbled the same as sleep claimed me again.
____________________________________
 
The next morning I watched Dong Ho sleep from the chair in the corner. All kinds of things swirled around in my mind. I had been up for quite a while and dressed after a hot shower. When he finally woke up searching for me, I told him to sit up. I calculated. "Maybe you should stand up." I stood up and walked over to him. I decked him in the face as hard as I could. He spun hitting the bed and holding his jaw.
 
"Don't ever do that again, Dong Ho!" I threatened. Walking away, I climbed down the stairs, and I didn't look back.
 
"I'm still sorry!" He called to me.
 
"I'm still angry!" I answered.
 
"I got that! But...." I heard him getting dressed quickly.
 
"But what?" I felt giddy because I knew what was going to happen.
 
"You should run!" He grinned, sliding down the ladder. I didn't wait. I bolted out the door in a sprint. Dong Ho was right behind me. The day was looking up even though it would take time to heal things between us!