Three.

Always By Your Side (There I Stay)

"Kibum, stop ing moving! I'm trying to sleep."

Kibum purposely elbows Jonghyun in the side as he shifts once more. "I'm sorry I can't get comfortable."

"Stop squirming around, and you'll fall asleep."

"It's not that easy."

"Then go sleep in the guest room."

Kibum smacks Jonghyun's chest as he sits up and grabs his pillow. " you, Jonghyun."

"That's what got us into this mess."

Jonghyun knows that he pushed the line drastically after the moment of silence that follows. Kibum doesn't fight back, and he doesn't say anything else. He leaves the bedroom silently, and that scares Jonghyun more than if he had stormed out.

By morning, the guilt is really ebbing at Jonghyun. When he goes to check on Kibum the door is, unsurprisingly, locked. He knocks slowly three times, but there's no response, not even a stir from the other side of the door.

"Kibum?" Jonghyun tries, knocking again. "Bummie, babe, open the door. I didn't mean what I said last night."

Nothing.

Jonghyun sighs and goes down into the kitchen, seeing a note from his mother saying that she'll be working a double shift that day.

Kibum joins Jonghyun close to an hour later, hair damp from a shower he's taken. Jonghyun notices that his cheeks are more puffy than usual.

"You were crying." Jonghyun says, sliding the box of cereal across the table.

"You're smarter than I thought." Kibum mutters sarcastically, filling his bowl and pouring some milk.

"You know I'm sorry."

"Do I, Jonghyun?" Kibum glares. "I'm tired, Jonghyun. You don't know how hard it is to sleep."

"You have to get used to it. You still have twenty weeks to go. If it's going to be like this every night, neither of us are going to make it through this."

Kibum drops the spoon into the bowl. "Well, what do you want me to do, huh? My legs are restless and my stomach looks like this. The baby started moving during the night too. If you're so worried about your stupid beauty sleep, then I'll just sleep in the guest room since I'm basically at fault for all of this, right?"

"Kibum, come on... I'm sorry. Come give me a hug. Let's not fight... Please?"

With a huff, Kibum falls back into his seat and crosses his arms. It wasn't what Jonghyun wanted, but it was better than him walking out.

"When is your graduation ceremony?"

"Friday morning. Are you coming? I have three tickets. Only Mom and Dad are coming. I'd... really like you to be there, you know."

"It's going to cause a scene if I go..."

"So? We don't need to stay too long. After the ceremony, there's a little celebration. We can get some food and then leave. It'll be over with. I'll make sure no one bothers you. Not many people from your grade will be there anyway, and seniors are more mature than that."

"I'll go. To support you."

---

Kibum sits near the back of the auditorium with Jonghyun's mother and father, clapping half-heartedly for old classmates as he waits for Jonghyun's name to be called. He can hear whispers and snickers directed toward him, but he has his best to ignore them. It's hard to ignore the pointing though. 

But he does.

For Jonghyun.

Kibum finds himself smiling when he hears Jonghyun's name, clapping happily with his parents. Jonghyun's moment on stage lasts only a few seconds, but Kibum's heart swells with pride in the moment.

There's a mass amount of families outside the auditorium afterwards, but Jonghyun manages to find Kibum and his parents in record time. His arms come around Kibum's waist, fingertips brushing against the growing bump. Kibum shifts uncomfortably on his feet.

"There's food in the cafeteria. I heard they have lava cakes, and they're to die for. Are you hungry, Kibum?"

"Starving. But I'm not feeling cake right now."

Jonghyun moves his arms, taking Kibum's hand tightly. "You can get whatever you want," Jonghyun kisses his neck, whispering quietly. "Was everyone behaving?"

"I wouldn't say that, but they haven't been outright terrible. I'm going to run to the bathroom, okay? Go start eating and I'll catch up with you."

"Do you want me to come with you?"

Kibum laughs and pats Jonghyun's chest lovingly, pecking his lips quickly. "I think I can handle using the bathroom on my own, Jjong. I'll be back in a minute. Save me anything that looks good, yeah?"

With that, Kibum walks off.

It's when he's washing his hands that he hears a commotion outside. There's a sound of metal scrapping against metal, followed by a fit of giggles. He grunts in distaste, walking to open the door and frowning when the knob turned, but the door didn't budge.

"Oppa," he hears from outside, two girls giggling together. "This is what you get for tying down the most attractive boy in senior year."

"He told me he wished you had an abortion," the older girl says. "And you should have. That way everyone could have gone on with life their lives. Everyone knew you were trouble when you moved here."

"To think we thought you were good-looking too."

"Uh-oh... Sooyoung, I see Jonghyun coming. We'd better get out of here before he sees us. Sekyung used to tell me about his horrible temper."

"Kibum," he hears Jonghyun call before the chair is moved from the door. "Damn it... I knew something happened. I saw Sooyoung and her lackey running off. Are you okay?"

"Fine... Just a little embarrassed."

---

"You're measuring perfect, Kibum," the nurse compliments with a smile as he steps off the scale. "You gained about five pounds since your last visit, so you're right on track. This is going to be your last scan until you're thirty weeks, but we'll be able to find out the gender if baby cooperates. Would you like to know?"

No is on the tip of Kibum's tongue until he looks at Jonghyun. He's not looking in his direction, but he looks so hopeful as he stares at the blank monitor that Kibum has no choice but to say yes, justifying himself by adding that the must pick a name even if they aren't keeping the baby.

Kibum lays down by instruction and pulls his shirt higher. He glances at his stomach before looking to his hand when Jonghyun takes it in his own.

Kibum watches Jonghyun watch the screen. He has an overwhelming urge to smack Jonghyun for looking so lovestruck because he thought they had agreed not to get attached to the baby. Kibum is doing a good job, he thinks, but Jonghyun, Jonghyun is head over heels for something that wasn't supposed to happen.

Jonghyun shouldn't love a mistake.

"Hm... it looks like a girl," the nurse murmurs softly, smiling at them. "I'm almost certain."

Kibum forces his face to stay blank.

---

Jonghyun leaves Kibum at his apartment along a week later to go to the airport with his parents. His father has a business trip in China, and his mother is going with him to visit an old college friend.

Kibum uses the time alone to rummage through Jonghyun's bedroom, desperately looking for the print-outs of his ultrasounds. He finds them at the bottom of Jonghyun's nightstand drawer, tucked inside books he'll never read to look like bookmarks. Kibum leans against the wall for support as he stares at the strips of pictures

He barely knows what he's looking at. The pictures are blurry and look like nothing in particular to him, but even so, he begins to cry hard as he stares at the images.

It strikes Kibum now that he hasn't cried much yet. It's been so surreal that tears couldn't make their way to the surface. But now, holding the pictures of his child, what he's referred to as a mistake so many times, he can't help but sob.

He calls Jonghyun to beg him to come home at his revelation, but his call goes right to voicemail. He isn't surprised though. He knows Jonghyun is saying his final goodbyes to his parents, and he wished, only for a moment, that the family wasn't so tight knit.

"My little girl..." Kibum shoulders shake as he grips the pictures, eight weeks of held back emotions crashing down on him at once without anyone to lean on.

"Kibum, I'm back."

"Jonghyun!" Kibum screams from the bedroom.

It takes Jonghyun less than five seconds to reach him after that, and even less time to take him in his arms. Questions are on the tip of his tongue, but he sees the ultrasound pictures in Kibum's hands, and everything is immediately answered.

"You're going to rip them, babe," Jonghyun gently pries Kibum's fingers from around the pictures, kissing his fingertips. "Why were you looking for these?"

Jonghyun sees that his room is a wreck now, but he doesn't mind. The contents of at least three drawers are dumped out onto the floor and bed, and clothes of his and Kibum's alike are ripped from the closet in Kibum's haste to find the pictures. But he's not upset about the mess.

"I don't know," Kibum sobs, shaking his head violently. "I-I wanted to know. I just wanted to know."

---

Kibum waits until Jonghyun is asleep to get up and wash his face. 

He takes his cellphone with him when he makes his way into the living room. He sits, hand on his stomach gently, dialing his house number. It's late but not too late, and he knows his parents are still awake, only now eating dinner even.

"Kim Kibum, you run away from home, and then decide to call two months later?"

"You kicked me out."

"You could have come back!" His mother screeches. "But not now. You placed forty-second on your finals. Out of one-hundred! Is that Jonghyun making you stupid? Where does he live? Is that where you are?"

"That's where I am, but I'm not telling you where it is. That's not why I called, Mom. I'm calling to tell you that I'm..." Kibum bites his lip, pausing for a few seconds. "You and Dad are going to be grandparents?"

Kibum waits for a response, but he's only met with the dial tone after his mother hangs up on him. Kibum sighs, pressing his lips together to keep from crying. He didn't expect much more than that from his parents anyway.

"You called your parents, didn't you?"

Kibum turns to look at Jonghyun standing in the doorway, hair messed from sleep. He looks like he's still half asleep, but he's alert enough to talk to Kibum.

"I wasn't expecting much..."

"Just stay away from them, Kibum. I don't trust them."

"They don't trust you."

Jonghyun walks closer to the couch after a moment, rubbing Kibum's shoulders. "I don't trust them either. At least we have one thing in common, hm? ...Come on back to bed, okay? You had a hard day, Bummie. Some rest will do you good. Mom told me to take good care of you before she left."

Kibum reaches up to touch Jonghyun's hand. "You go first, Jonghyun. I'll be there in a few minutes. I didn't mean to wake you up." 

"Don't stress yourself out too much because of them, Kibum. They aren't worth your time worrying," Jonghyun leans down to press a soft kiss to Kibum's cheek. "If you're not in bed in fifteen minutes, I'm going to come and carry you to bed. That's a promise."

---

"Pull your shirt up."

"Why?"

"Just do it, Mr. Stubborn," Jonghyun grins, nosing at Kibum's cheek playfully. "You need to learn how to listen."

Kibum sticks his tongue out, head resting on the pillow. He pulls up his shirt anyway, enough to completely uncover his stomach.

"There..."

Jonghyun grins at Kibum before he sets his hand on Kibum's stomach, rubbing gently. It's the first time they had done something like this, but Kibum can't say he minds it. It makes him feel better, actually. He feels the love and care radiating off Jonghyun. It kills him to think that people from school thought he was heartless to almost everyone because no one cared for him in return. Jonghyun leans down further, pressing a kiss to the side of the bump.

Kibum takes Jonghyun's hand after a moment, pressing his hand flat. The baby moves, and Jonghyun smiles up at Kibum. His eyes shine with happiness, and Kibum has to look away.

"What is that?"

"Mm... it feels like an elbow," Kibum laughs. "It's hard for me to tell the difference between knees and elbows."

"Little baby, what body part am I feeling? Hm... Hey, Kibum?"

"Mm..."

"Did you think of names yet?"

"I want something pretty."

"Like?"

Kibum stares up at the ceiling. "Like... Minah, Haru... Hara is nice."

Jonghyun chuckles. "So basically you have no idea?"

"Not really. It'll come to us, though."

Jonghyun reaches up to Kibum's cheek. "We need to decide what we're doing too, Kibum... if we're going to keep her or not. We'll need to get a lot of things for her if we are... But we'll have to do just as much work if we're not."

"I'm not sure yet..."

"I just want you to realize something... I'll support you with whatever you decide, but if we choose adoption, that's not something we can undo. Once she's gone, she's gone. At least... if we keep here, we can get help. Mom will help. I have to go to college next year, but I already have a job at my dad's business already. Money isn't an issue l because I'm a shareholder in the company."

Kibum stares at Jonghyun for a few seconds before averting his eyes as he tugs his shirt down, rolling on his side so his back is to Jonghyun.