Twelve.

Always By Your Side (There I Stay)

Kibum is surprised by how much happier Hara is when Kibum gets settled into the new apartment with Jonghyun. She barely cries now (at least during the day), and on those occasions that she does begin crying, Jonghyun can usually get her to calm down just by picking her up and holding her. Kibum isn't sure why she's gotten so attached to Jonghyun so quickly, but he supposes that's a good thing. He can't imagine what it'd be like if Hara didn't warm up to Jonghyun as quickly as she did.

Jonghyun, on the other hand, is very warmed up to Kibum. Every day, he makes some not so casual moves on Kibum but generally gets rejected. Kibum isn't ready to trust Jonghyun again, especially when he's sitting with his laptop in his office or on the couch. He's not sure what Jonghyun is looking at when he's on there.

Kibum wants nothing more than to forgive Jonghyun, but he feels like he shouldn't give in so easily. He may not have had proof that Jonghyun was actually not loyal to him, but Kibum saw enough to still be upset. He does love Jonghyun; he's not even sure if he ever stopped loving him.

However, it's the principle of the matter. Kibum doesn't want to give in to Jonghyun so easily. He was hurt by the entire situation, and he's not about to let Jonghyun off without forcing him to roast and work for Kibum's attention. Kibum wants to see if Jonghyun really means it.

---

While Jonghyun is at work and Hara is asleep, he goes to look for the locket again in Jonghyun's room. He's still in the process of migrating out of boxes with his busy schedule, but something tells Kibum that the locket was one of the first things Jonghyun tucked away in his room.

He checks the nightstand first, but it's still empty. Jonghyun hasn't gotten around to filling the drawer up yet. There isn't much in the closet either, but Kibum spots a jewelry box on the dresser. He doesn't know the story behind the old box, but he knows it's from Jonghyun's grandmother and that it's got a number lock on it. Kibum has no idea what the four digits could be. He tries a few a few numbers - birthdays, dates and the like with no luck.

"Damn it, what the heck is it?"

"It's your birthday, Kibum."

Kibum jumps ten feet in the air, nearly knocking the box off the top of the dresser. He turns to Jonghyun in the doorway, eyes wide. 

He's been caught.

"What are you looking for?" Jonghyun continues as he picks up the box and hits four digits; 0-9-2-3.

When the box clicks open, Jonghyun sets it in Kibum's hand. Sure enough, the (still broken) locket is sitting on top.

"I... I was looking for this, Jonghyun," Kibum sighs as he picks up the locket and studies it as it catches the light. "I knew you hid it somewhere."

"You shouldn't be going through my things. You might find something shocking."

Kibum blinks. "Like nudes?"

"No."

"Then what?"

Jonghyun takes the locket and puts it back on the dresser. "I bought you things that I never had the chance to give you. I still have it because it was expensive, and I hoped that we'd get back together one day so I could give it to you."

Kibum watches Jonghyun, brows slightly furrowed. It doesn't take him long to realize that Jonghyun is probably referring to an engagement ring. He looks down, slightly curious as to where that could be hidden also.

When he looks back up, he takes two steps closer to Jonghyun and wraps his arms around his neck. He kisses him then. He kisses him like they hadn't kissed in months, like they actually loved each other.

---

Kibum sits on the ground near Jonghyun's legs with Hara in his lap. She's entertaining herself with a biting toy as Kibum watches her happily. Every so often, she'll glance behind her, to make sure that Jonghyun is still there. Kibum thinks it's cute.

Kibum kisses her head before looking back at the television.

"...pa! Appa!"

With wide eyes, Kibum looks back down at Hara. She was trying to get his attention, and she certainly got it.

"Jjong! Did you hear that?" Kibum peppers kisses over Hara's cheeks. "Good job, sweetheart! Can you say it again? Hm? Once more."

Hara looks confused at Kibum's excitement, and Jonghyun laughs from behind him.

"I think that's all you're going to get out of her," Jonghyun watches her from over the screen of his laptop. "She doesn't even know what she did... What's wrong, squirt? Why is Bummie so happy?"

Kibum leans back against Jonghyun's legs as Hara crawls up on his lap to touch his face. He chuckles, taking her hands to kiss her little palms.

"You need to say that for grandma, Boo. She'll be so surprised!"

Jonghyun smiles fondly. "You're so good with her, Kibum. It's funny that you were the one who was worried you wouldn't know what to do."

"Well... a lot of what I'm doing comes naturally," Kibum stands and lifts her up to take her to the kitchen. "I'd probably be better with her if I was older though."

"Do you want more kids?"

Kibum blinks, getting Hara food and returning to the living room with apple slices. "That came out of the blue."

Jonghyun shrugs. "Do you?"

He sits next to Jonghyun, Hara in his lap. "Well... maybe. I mean, I always wanted kids, but it wasn't in my ten year plan to have one at seventeen. I guess I'd like another kid though. Not until Hara is older though."

"How old?"

"Five maybe? At least after she's out of the toddler stage. I felt so crappy when I was pregnant. I wouldn't want to be chasing around a little child on top of it. My feet were swollen enough without running around."

Jonghyun sets his laptop to the side and drapes an arm over Kibum's shoulder. "I think that's good. How old will we be? Twenty-three and twenty-four about. Those are good ages to have a second child. I bet Hara would be an amazing big sister, don't you?"

"Maybe. She wouldn't have much of a choice, would she? She might get jealous if she doesn't get our attention though."

"She could grow out of that though."

"You're right. I don't know. I'm not really thinking about more kids. It's easy for you," Kibum nudges Jonghyun in the ribs playfully. "All you need is one night in bed, and your job is already done."

"Yeah, but I need to listen to the whining for nine months."

---

"Walk to Jjongie appa, Hara. Go on, sweetie."

Kibum and Jonghyun are sitting across from each other with their legs crossed. They're nearly sitting knee to knee, but there's a small gap between them. Kibum holds Hara on her feet to get her balanced, pressing her to try to walk the few steps to Jonghyun.

Jonghyun opens his arms to welcome Hara. "Can you do it? I'll catch you!"

Hara squeals loudly when Jonghyun talks to her. Kibum releases her when she lifts a foot, keeping his arms up in case he needs to catch her. Jonghyun does the same, laughing when she tumbles into his lap before she's able to take a proper step forward.

"Is she okay?"

"She's fine," Jonghyun chuckles. "But I think it's wishful thinking to get her to walk at eight months. She'll walk when she's ready, Kibum. She's not falling behind or anything. I didn't start walking until I was thirteen months."

Kibum pouts a bit in response but nods. "She's so good at standing though. I figured walking was the next obvious step for her."

"It is, but give her some time. She won't learn all at once."

Hara looks to Kibum, crawling away from Jonghyun and back toward him. She uses Kibum's knee as an aid to get herself on her feet, though wobbly, to get more of Kibum's attention.

"What, Boo? I can't pay any more attention to you than I already am."

---

It's when Jonghyun is at work that Hara takes her first steps. She doesn't go far and falls on her belly after only five steps, but it's farther than she's ever gone. It has Kibum calling Jonghyun at work and telling him quickly about his daughter. Kibum doesn't expect him to come home because of it, but twenty minutes later, Jonghyun is walking through the door and scooping Hara into his arms to swing her about.

"How far did she walk?"

"Only a few steps, but that was certainly walking. All on her own too! I got up to start lunch, and she was toddling after me to the kitchen. She didn't make it very far, but she looked proud of herself."

Jonghyun chuckles and tosses Hara into the hair, catching her and kissing her when he catches her again. Kibum isn't sure if he's actually this happy about her walking or if he's just encouraging her by acting happy around her. Either way, Kibum smiles at the scene before him.

"I'm so proud of you, baby girl!"

Kibum comes closer, setting his hand on Jonghyun's shoulder as he looks at Hara in his arms. She reaches out and clasps onto his hair, squealing loudly when he whines in pain at the not so gentle tug.

"Yah! That's not what you're allowed to do just because you impressed appas. I need my hair! It's just getting long after being short so long because of your grabby hands," Kibum presses kisses to both her cheeks. "You're too strong!"

"She's strong?"

"For a little girl. I think she's going to take after you, Jjong. That's good though."

"You think? I bet she'll have your smarts though."

Kibum scoffs playfully. "I won't make her study as much as I was forced to. She can be as smart as she wants to be."

"Hm..."

"Are you going back to work?" 

Jonghyun shakes his head, handing Hara to Kibum after another moment. "I put in for a half day. I wanted to come home and be with the two of you. I thought we could go out for dinner or something. We haven't done that in a while."

Kibum chuckles, holding Hara with one arm and hugging Jonghyun with the other. "I haven't gone out much, period. It'd be a nice change. Hara is so good when we do go out too."

---

That night, Jonghyun joins Kibum in the shower. Kibum is almost finished rinsing shampoo out of his hair when Jonghyun startles him by pulling the shower curtain aside and stepping under the flow of water.

"She's already walking and talking. How much longer is it going to be until she starts coming home with boys?"

Kibum laughs softly, picking up bar soap to wash Jonghyun slowly. "Oh, I think we have a good decade and a half before we need to start worrying about that, Jonghyun."

"You better hope she's nothing like we were."

"Trust me, she's not going to be. I couldn't imagine watching my child struggle like I-- we did. Your mother is a very strong woman."

"She's just loving," Jonghyun tilts his head forward to dampen his hair. "By the way, Hara is dead asleep. If we're quiet, I think we can get in a good round of love making without worrying about her waking up."

"I should have known you let yourself in here for a reason," Kibum eyes Jonghyun, combing his fingers through his wet hair to untangle it. "I have no reason to argue though. It's been a while, huh?"

"Too long," Jonghyun makes a scene of his lips as he pulls Kibum closer by the waist, both hands planted firmly on Kibum's . "You don't realize how much I've been missing you."

Jonghyun kisses Kibum beneath the water before reaching around him to shut it off. Kibum goes to step out of the tub, but Jonghyun slams him back against the tiled wall. Kibum pushes at his chest slightly, creating distance between both of their slick bodies.

"Not in here, you idiot. Either it's on the bed or no deal."