01 - 2

How To Smile

01 – Part 2

Dongwoo sighed as he looked around the new dorm he would be staying living in from now. His eyebrows were in a perfect line, his lips in their signature frown and his eyes held nothing – no sadness, no frustration, no angriness, no happiness, nothing. Needless to say, Dongwoo had his usual straight face mask on. Though his eyes showed nothing, his stomach churned and his heart was beating. He did not feel happy about having to live with a stranger – in fact, he got into a tantrum which he rarely showed.

It’s not that he hated people – okay, that is an absolute lie, he despised them a lot even though he’s the same species as them. He just didn’t like how this gave him so many new things to do. He had to pack his clothes and belongings, and now he has to unpack them. He had to walk up three flight of stairs to his dorm, considering his dorm was on the third floor. The thing he hated most was he had to share the dorm with a complete stranger. He hates both of those things. Sharing and strangers.

His green luggage was held tight in his strong right hand grip as he dragged it all around the apartment. The kitchen had cooking/baking supplies but no food or ingredients in the fridge. Dongwoo scoffed at the lack of knowledge – or consideration – the principal and his staffs had. He was slightly glad that he had brought along junk food and a few packs of ramyeon that could last for at least three months.

Tugging on his luggage again, Dongwoo continued his mini travel around the dorm. There was the living room which consisted of a three-person sofa, a television and a coffee table. There were two doors – one that lead to the bathroom and another that lead to a bedroom which had two beds that weren’t far from each other, two night stands, two study tables, two chairs, two wardrobes and one dresser.

The grip on his luggage handle tightened more – making his knuckles visibly white. He was slightly furious at the sight before him. He was already mad at the fact of sharing a dorm with a stranger, but sharing a bedroom was crossing the line – at least for Dongwoo. He wanted privacy. He wanted to have a place where he could just sit down and not care about the world. He wanted a place where he was able to find peace. That was what a bedroom was for. Sharing one – in the point of view of Jang Dongwoo – is similar to letting someone invade your privacy.

The boy rubbed his temples using his fingers – trying to ease the throbbing headache that was beginning to form in his mind. His eyebrows were furrowed as his eyes were squeezed shut tightly. The full lips he was born with let out a few grunts before returning to their natural frowning state. Dongwoo lets out one – and slightly long – sigh before he began to unpack his clothes and items.

In the midst of his unpacking, Dongwoo didn’t realize the front door had creaked open. He stood up from his kneeling state as he settled a picture frame that had a photo of him and his cat that was left behind on his nightstand – although it didn’t show any of his head as it only showed the Persian cat that was lying down on his lap. Dongwoo turned around and he was greeted by a stranger that was leaning at the bedrooms doorway.

The boy had a soft – yet somehow still amazingly bright – smile on his face as he looked at Dongwoo. He had chocolate brown hair that looked – and actually is – extremely soft. His eyes were a few shades lighter and he has lips that weren’t too full and weren’t too thin. All in all, the boy was adorable – something that Dongwoo didn’t take note off as he’s already annoyed at him.

“Hi. I’m Hoya.” Hoya smiled and held his head out, gesturing for a handshake.

“Dongwoo.” Dongwoo muttered before closing and zipping his luggage – since it had been two hours and he was done unpacking.

Hoya retreated his hand when he realized the other wasn’t going to shake it. Hoya was irritated a bit but he shrugged the bad feeling off – after all, he had just met him, who was he to judge? – before turning to look at Dongwoo. He blinked twice when he didn’t see Dongwoo in the room anymore and heard the front door being slammed shut. He then had just realized his new dorm mate had left him alone in the dorm.

“Fine then.” Hoya muttered under his breath.

“Hoya hyung!” Sungjong yelled – or screeched in Hoya’s dictionary – and waved at his hyung that had just walked into the huge assembly hall that could fit one million human bodies – which was the exact amount of students in this college.

Hoya turned to look at the direction he heard Sungjong yelling from. He saw his group of friends – who had also saved him a seat – at the third row from the front of the stage. He grinned as he walked over to them and sat in his seat which was beside Sungyeol.

“Guess what? Me and Myungie are roommates!” Sungyeol said as he slung an arm around Myungsoo’s shoulder who was sitting beside him.

“But I didn’t even get to guess.” I whined making him chuckle.

The others also shared who their roommates were and to their surprise, they were all rooming with one another – except for Hoya and Sungjong. Woohyun was roomed with his – as he loves to claim Sunggyu is his since he has an oh-so obvious crush on him but Sunggyu was too dense to notice – hamster while Sungjong was roomed with a person named Ricky – who Sungjong said was nice.

“Who’s your roommate Hoya hyung?” Myungsoo asked and turned to his friend.

“Dongwoo. But that’s all I know about him. He left right after I greeted him.” Hoya said while shrugging - and denying – the way his heart tugged uncomfortably.

“Really? Then he must be a rude guy.” Sungyeol concluded while snapping his fingers.

“Maybe. I don’t know.” This time, Hoya shrugged his shoulders.

“Do you see him here?” Sunggyu asked and Hoya looked around.

He looked at the front two rows in front of them first, but didn’t see anyone that looked like Dongwoo – Hoya has amazing memory, so he remembers how Dongwoo looks like even though he only got a glimpse of the guy. He then looked at the back seats and scanned everyone’s faces – for one because maybe they could come in handy one day.

Hoya felt his lips tug upwards as he saw Dongwoo at the very back of the auditorium, first seat from the left. Dongwoo had his ear plugs in as his playlist was on shuffle and repeat, his eyes were closed and he had slumped in his seat. He felt his lips go dry and poked his tongue out, his lips – and that also told Hoya that Dongwoo wasn’t sleeping but was just closing his eyes.

“Is that him?” Sungyeol asked as his eyes gestured to the person in front of Dongwoo instead of Dongwoo himself.

“No. The one behind him.” Hoya said as matter of fact.

“The one behind him? You mean Jang Dongwoo?” Myungsoo asked, trying to get confirmation.

“Jang Dongwoo? If you’re talking about the guy with black hair and has ear phones in then yes, that’s him.” Hoya said as he raised an eyebrow, eyeing Myungsoo sceptically.

“What’s wrong Myungsoo hyung?” Sungjong asked his hyung, who had averted his eyes away from the group.

“It’s nothing.” Myungsoo said and his dongsaeng just nodded his head.

Sungjong knows that Myungsoos ‘nothing’ means something but he was never the type of person to press someone on for answers. He was the type who waited patiently for the other to tell him first, when they were ready. He knows how hard it is, so that’s why he gave them time no matter how the curiosity was slowly eating his organs and self control.

Myungsoo sighed as he rubbed his temples, eyes closed. A headache was starting to form and he was sure it wasn’t just a headache. It might as well be a migraine. He opened his eyes and took another glimpse at Dongwoo. With pursed lips, Myungsoo looked up front to the stage, ignoring his friends.

“Why is he here?” Myungsoo muttered after a few moments.

It was quiet and soft – which meant it wasn’t for anyone else’s ears to hear, only his – but Sungyeol had heard what Myungsoo had said. He too kept quiet about what he had heard. Just like Sungjong, he knew how to wait – even though he could easily earn a trophy as the most impatient person that was born on planet Earth, he still has respect for other’s privacy, especially Myungsoo’s.

“May I please have your attention everyone?” A lady’s voice boomed – literally – through the speakers, capturing everyone’s attention. Once she was sure everyone’s attention was on her – including Dongwoo – she continued. “I am sure everyone of you has spoken to your dorm mates, am I right?”

Dongwoo merely nodded while Hoya answered with the rest of the crowd. It wasn’t a lie because they had shared each other’s name, which meant they had opened their mouths and spoken to their dorm mates. Dongwoo muttered some incoherent words as the lady – who turned out to be the principal’s secretary –, the principal and a few other teachers who has a higher position then the rest spoke.

“Now, let’s get on to the college’s tour for everyone since it has been remodelled last year!” The secretary chirped and clapped her hands.

The students were all glad to be able to stand after a long period of time but Dongwoo was different – as usual. He grumbled as he reluctantly stood up from his comfortable – since everywhere that didn’t include Dongwoo wasting his energy was comfortable for him – seat and stretched his arms up, oblivious to the fact that Hoya was waving at him.

“Hyung! People are staring!” Myungsoo hissed as he and Sunggyu forced Hoya’s hand down.

“But I wanted you guys to meet Dongwoo.” Hoya pouted and they all shook their heads with a slight smile.

“We’ll meet him later.” Sunggyu said as he patted his dongsaeng’s hair affectionately – while still being dense over the jealous vibe that was coming off of Woohyun.

“I want hyung to pat my head too!” Woohyun whined as he latched himself onto his hamster.

Sunggyu just scoffed as he strolled away – with the incredibly clingy bunny still on his arm – with the others.


Literally so freaking cold and sleepy right now =.= sigh but I wanted to update so badly and that feeling's just stronger T.T so here I am, at 1.23 am - not like its my curfew because my latest curfew is at 4 am so I won't get scolded by my mom - wrapped in my blanket while drinking hot chocolate malt.. and updating for you <3 oh, and really though, knowing this story got 12 subscribers is like I'm dreaming - which gladfully/and hopefully I'm not. I love you <3