Going Back, Moving Forward

The Perfect Disguise

 

Going Back, Moving Forward

“Another charity event would seem to be a bit over the top. Can’t we propose something else?” Naeun stood up from her seat and started roaming around the room, the thing she always does when she’s bothered or when she’s in her thinking mode. Eunji, who remained seated, continued scribbling on the back page of a proposal letter Naeun penned, ignoring the other girl.

 

 “How about a scholarship program? This would be new to the academy.” Naeun exclaimed, finally settling down. She has this I’m-so-great smile on her and Eunji can’t help it but to roll her eyes. “Chorong just made the same proposal few days ago, she just need to wait for the next board meeting so that she can present it to the Board of Directors.” She smirked at the sight of Naeun’s disappointed look.

 

“And why am I the only one who doesn’t know about the proposal?” Naeun sulked, in her desperate attempt to steal Eunji’s attention and empathy but failed when Eunji just turned her back away from her, “That’s not gonna work on me, Naeun, and just to remind you, you’ve been busy practicing for your musical performance with the juniors, therefore, missing the last two student council meetings and the meeting we had with the head master awhile back.” She suddenly snickered at the thought of the incident they had this morning. Naeun frowned at her, “And let me guess, I missed something?” She leaned forward, becoming engrossed all of a sudden.

 

“Just asked Chorong…” Eunji snorted once more, “God, I love the look in her face when the new student beamed at the head master’s office just like that.” She started laughing, slapping the poor pillow next to her.

 

Naeun who was lost for words, crumpled the paper in front of her and threw it at Eunji’s direction, “Fine, I’ll look for Chorong. Where is she anyway?”

 

Eunji glanced at her watch, thinking for a second, “That’s right, where is she? It’s been an hour since she gave the new student a little tour.”

-

-

-

-

Attention to all Juilliard students of the Pre-College Division, as stated in the new policy which was passed by the Directors during the last  Board meeting, all graduating students who wish to continue to stay with Juilliard and are applying for the college division are now required to attend a normal school to finish up their senior high school. As we envision to become a better performing arts conservatory, we wish to produce students who are not only equipped with…

 

We were in the middle of a dance practice when the announcement was made. Later that day, all students who started attending the well-known art school at the age of fourteen were called up to the Head Master’s Office for further briefing. Students were asked to wait in a room as they were called in one by one. I took a deep breath as I patiently wait for my name to be called. I never wished to go back, not in a million years. Coward, that is who I am and who I want to be, because if I returned, my pain, my hatred and my hope for retribution, would return with me. I closed my eyes, and once again, that memory I tried to erase appeared, hunting me.

 

“Bomi, listen to your father very carefully. Your father has always been daring and bold, but I was never a bad person. But because of that, I met a lot of enemies, strong and powerful enemies. I lost your mom because of them, but I promise I won’t let them touch you…so be strong, until we meet again.”

“Get my daughter out of the country now! Don’t bring anything, just leave now.”

And that was the last time I ever saw my dad.

 

“Yoon Bomi…”

 

“Yoon Bomi-shi…”

 

I opened my eyes and there she was few meters away from me, glaring, “What are you doing? Are you even listening?” She exclaimed, with a hint of annoyance in her tone. Park Chorong doesn’t really exude a friendly aura but she doesn’t seem to be the rude type. Did I give her a different impression? Good.

“I’m sorry.” I uttered in a low voice. “It seems like you already have a negative impression of me. I have always been daring and bold, but I was never a bad person.”

 

I step forward slowly, matching my every step with my breath, and there she stood, confused. And when I was close enough, I looked directly into her eyes, “Please don’t hate me.”

 

She was definitely caught off-guard but her face lightened up a little bit. “I…I don’t hate you…” She managed to utter before her guilt started to build up. She avoided my stare for a moment before gazing back at me, “I’m sorry for being rude.”  

 

I pulled her into a sudden embrace, startling her for the second time. “Don’t be sorry…” Not for this one.

 

I tightened the embrace making her jerk a little, but instead of retaliating, she just stood there, as if waiting for me to break the embrace myself.

 

“Yah, Park Chorong! What are you doing?”

 

Chorong pushed me off abruptly upon hearing the intruder’s voice.

 

“Na…Naeun-ah, what are you doing here?” She asked nervously. What is wrong with her now? I turned around and searched for the owner of the voice. Son Naeun crossed her arms as she approached us, “I was looking for you?” She gave a look at Chorong, contemplating.

 

“Let me guess, you’re the new student Eunji was talking about.” She turned her attention to me, smiling all of a sudden. She reached out her hand, “I’m Son Naeun, nice to meet you.”