The Other Side Of Her

The Perfect Disguise

A/N: I've been watching 'The Heirs" lately and that's where I borrowed the idea about the social class system they have for their school. I hope you don't mind. I made this chapter in a rush and so I apologize for any errors. I'll edit it later. Enjoy!

 

“Naeun unnie, what should we do? This is a total mess!” The younger girl beside me cringes as she watches the other juniors practicing at the stage and I can only sigh at the frustrating sight. With a week to go before the musical performance, the piece should have been perfect by now but regrettably, it’s not. “We need to take another measure.” I frowned as I walked towards the stage with heavy steps while Namjoo trailed behind me. “Unnie, fighting!” She cheered in a whisper.

 

I went over the stage and signaled the audio jack to turn off the music. I cleared my throat and crossed my arms and the juniors watched me as I walked around the stage. “This is a mess!” I cried out and an awkward silence befalls inside the hall. “I know you can all do better than this but why are you trying to show off too much. Instead of impressing me, you’re all disappointing me right now.” I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to ease out my frustration. Eunji’s right, I have to shove off my nice and cool image for once. I’ll regret this for the rest of my life.

 

“You, Subin-ah! Why can’t you just dance properly without intimidating the others? Do you want to show off that much? We all know you’re good. Just dance according to our routine, arasso?”

 

“Neh, I’m sorry, unnie.” She replied apologetically. She mutely looked at the ground, avoiding my gaze. I felt bad at that very moment but I can’t soften up now.

 

“And you…”

-

-

-

-

-

And I’d spent half an hour straightening up the juniors while Namjoo watched in awed. She gave me a thumbs up once the ‘talk’ was over. I ordered a fifteen minutes break to ease up the tension.

 

“Unnie, that was great! You scared the hell out of them.” She ran towards me, clapping lightly. “I guess you’re image is ruined now.” She joked.

 

“You should have watched till the end, I totally nailed it.” I joked back. “Where did you go, anyway?”

 

“Chorong sunbae dropped by awhile back. She asked me to give you this.”  She winked before handing me a can of lemonade. “Really? She could have stayed a little bit longer though.” I hissed in disappointment before snatching the can of lemonade from Namjoo.  

 

 “She said she couldn’t stand watching you eat up the juniors so she left.” She sniggered as she imitates Chorong’s way of talking and I end up smiling at her silly imitation.

 

“Let’s go and get some fresh air.” I hung my arm around the younger girl’s shoulder as I pull her out of the hall. We sat at a bench outside the hall and continued chatting.

 

“Kim Namjoo.” Our chat was interrupted by a man’s voice. She looked up and soon after she stood up and rushed towards the man standing next to a black car. “Appa!” I heard her cried out. She gave her dad a hug and her dad hugged her back with a smile. That sight made my heart ache a little. I’m jealous.

 

She later broke the hug and looked over my direction. She grabbed her dad by the arm and made her way towards me.

 

“Naeun unnie…this is my dad.” She proudly exclaimed. “Isn’t he handsome?” She gave her dad a light slap in the shoulder and her dad eyed her jokingly. I can’t help it but smile at the beautiful scene in front of me.

 

“Appa, this is my pretty sunbae, Son Naeun.” I bowed and greeted her dad with a sincere smile. “Hello, Mr. Kim. I’m Son Naeun. It’s an honor to meet you, Sir.” He chuckled at the formality. “No need to be too formal. You can just call me Uncle Kim. It’s also an honor to finally meet you. My daughter talked about you a lot.”

 

“Of course, I’m a proud hubae.” Namjoo stated pompously. We’re working on a musical together. Make sure to watch us soon, arasso?”

 

“Arasso.” He smiled delightfully at her daughter and playfully messed up her hair. “Thank you for looking after my daughter. Good luck on your performance.” He gave a slight bow before patting me lightly in the shoulder. Although man in suits could be intimidating, he has a very fatherly aura in him.

 

“Oh, appa, why are you here, anyway? Did you miss me that much now that I’m temporarily staying at the academy’s dorm?” She teased and her dad just smirks.

 

“Don’t think highly of yourself, dear. I came for another woman.” He teased back and Namjoo flinched.

 

“You’ve been busy with your musical, you even weren’t able to fetch her up from the airport.”

 

“Who?” Namjoo frowned curiously.

 

“A woman you really liked a lot.” Her dad replied. “Oh, speaking of, there she is.” He waved over a girl who is slowly walking towards us. “Yoon Bomi?” I grasped once I realized who the girl is. Why do I always cross paths with her? It had only been three days since she moved here.

 

“Bomi unnie?” Namjoo is much more dumbfounded than I am. She looked up at his dad furiously, “Appa, why didn’t you tell me Bomi unnie is back.” Nevertheless, she didn’t let her father respond as she’s already halfway towards Bomi. She jump at her and hugged her tightly. “Unnie, I missed you so much. Why didn’t you tell me that you’re back.” Namjoo broke the hug and started sobbing. Yoon Bomi’s face soften up at the sight of Namjoo and started patting her in the head like a puppy. “Uncle Kim told me that you’re quite busy that’s why I asked him not to tell you yet.” She wiped the tears from Namjoo’s face and caresses her face gently, “I’m sorry for not telling you. You’re not mad at Bomi unnie, right?” Namjoo just adorably nods and started hugging Bomi once more. Yoon Bomi hugged her back and smile. It was a smile I never saw before. She had always been mysterious to me and my heart fluttered at the sight of her smile.

 

“I’m sorry you had to be caught up with a melodramatic situation like this.” Namjoo’s father grinned at the sight of the two. I shook my head and smile, “I’m fine. I’m actually quite amazed.” Bomi broke the embrace and looked at our direction and our eyes met for the first time. My heart fluttered once again. Here gaze is piercing into my whole body and I felt my heart skip a beat. What’s going on?

 

“Unnie…” Namjoo came running towards us with Bomi trailing behind. “Meet my cousin, Yoon Bomi.” She pointed at Bomi happily. Oh…Yoon Bomi is Namjoo’s cousin! That’s quite a surprise. She never talked about her before.  

 

“Hi, it’s nice to meet you again.” She smiled at me delightfully and I smiled back awkwardly.

 

“You’ve met before?” Namjoo asked in amazement.

 

“We met on my first day.” Bomi answered candidly. She then greeted Namjoo’s father. “Uncle, I apologize for keeping you waiting.”

 

“Unnie, are you going somewhere with my dad?”

 

“I just moved to a new place. I’ve been staying at your house for the past four days but finally I’ve found a good one. I’m making dinner tonight. Will you be able to come?”

 

 Namjoo looked at me with puppy eyes, “Unnie, can I skip practice, just this time?”

 

“Arasso. I’ll let you slip, just this time.” I playfully pouted and she hugged me happily, “Thank you, unnie. You’re the best.”

 

“Naeun-shi, you could come over if you like. You’d be surprise on how good Bomi is at cooking.” Mr. Kim suggested and Namjoo face lit up in excitement. “Oh unnie, that would be great. Would you please come with us?” Namjoo pleaded with her puppy eyes.

-

-

-

-

I watched her as she busily moved around the kitchen with Namjoo following her every instruction. I’m not entirely sure on how I end up coming over to her place but I surely don’t regret it now.