Expect the Unexpected

The Perfect Disguise

Park Sojin. Park Sojin. Why does her name sounds so familiar. I swear I heard her name somewhere. I just can’t seem to remember where or when.

 

“Yah…Jung Eunji? Are you still there?” A partly annoyed Chorong pulled me out of my thoughts as she snaps her fingers. She cocked her brows as she looks at me. “I’m talking here, you know.” She added.

 

“Sorry…I drifted for a moment…” I sneered and she just rolled her eyes. She’s been talking for an hour now but she hasn’t gotten to the part where she asked Bomi to go to the charity event with her yet and honestly I’m getting impatient.

 

“So…how did you asked her to ‘accompany’ you?” I once again asked, stressing the word accompany just to make sure she won’t be too defensive again.

 

“I just asked her once we’re back in the campus. Of course she was reluctant at first but she eventually said yes in the end.” She stated with a it-wasn’t-so-hard-at-all look. It was me who rolled her eyes now. “That’s it?” I probed and she simply nodded.

 

“Daebak…I’ve been listening to your fairytale for the past hour just for that?” I frowned at her and she just smirk at me.

 

“I have to tell you in detail, of course.” She said in an as-a-matter-of-fact tone. “Minor details shouldn’t be missed.”

 

 “Oh yeah…then would you care to remind me again as to where the hell were the minor details in your story.” I gave her a deadpan look. “Ah, the part where you ask Yoon Bomi out…” I hissed and she just laughed it off before standing up to kick me out of her room. “Bedtime story is done, Jung Eunji, now go back to your room.” She pulled me up from my seat as she tries to push me out of the room with her weak and fragile build. She’s obviously tired and so instead of resisting I let her lead me out of her room before mumbling a short goodnight which she responded with a smile.

 

“Goodluck on your date, Rong-ah…” I added and she stuck her head on the door, piercing me with her glare. I gave her an evil triumphant smile and before she could say a word I turned my back from her and head out to my room. I know she’s watching my retreating figure walking in the empty hallway but I just shrugged it off and smile inwardly. It’s quite rare to see Chorong being so rattled and flustered and to be honest I’m starting to like this Yoon Bomi because of that. No one ever had that effect on Chorong and considering that Bomi’s is a stranger, watching Chorong lose control was quite enchanting. Even Naeun doesn’t have that effect on her which makes things more exciting for me.

 

 

-

-

-

-

-

 

 

“Bomi-ah, remember what I told you last time… don’t let your emotion get the better of you.” Uncle Kim reminded me after dropping me off. He then bid goodbye and I stood in front of the hotel staring at the extravagant building’s exterior for a while before I had the nerve to go inside it. Chorong offered to pick me up at my house but I declined, not wanting to reveal a part of my personal space to another one of the three heiresses. I was quite overwhelmed by the number of people I saw as I entered the lobby. I expected it, but that doesn’t mean I’m used to it.

 

Without second thoughts, anyone would know that the place was filled with rich people. They were all over the place. Women with excessive dresses and jewelries and men which are cloaked in their expensive suits filled the place, walking around the event hall with their heads up, as if showing off. I swiftly made my way across the lobby, hoping that I wouldn’t get too much attention. I could carry myself and blend with the crowd but still I felt out of place. This is not the world I envision myself to be in but I would have to deal with this kind of world in the future.

 

I’ve been wearing a smile for the last ten minutes and truthfully, it’s starting to lose its sense. And I’m starting to lose my patience. I glance at my watch, it has been fifteen minutes since I arrived but I still couldn’t catch a sight of Park Chorong. It’s not that I want it but I expected her to at least send someone to somehow accommodate me in this vast hall. I swayed myself to wait patiently and so I started heading into an empty table just around the corner. Just as I was about to be successful in making my way out of the crowd and into the lonely empty table, I felt a hand grab my wrist. I turn around to see Park Chorong smiling nervously and quite guiltily at me.

 

“I’m so sorry to keep you waiting.” She mumbled as she stared at me anxiously, not letting go of my hand. 

 

I shook my head. “It’s okay.”

 

I gave out a small smile and she smiled back feeling relieved. “Honestly I lose my patience quite a bit.” I teased but she took it seriously and started apologizing, stating that her dad has to make her meet ‘his affiliates’ first before letting her go and meet whoever she invited to the event.

“Calm down Chorong-shi…I was just kidding. I got mad for just a little bit for making me wait  but…” I paused as I watch her listen to me responsively, “but since you look great tonight…I’ll let it pass.” I gave out one of those rare sincere smiles of mine and I saw her face lightened.

 

“Thanks. Although a compliment coming from you seems to be a bit disconcerting.” She said and I find myself laughing at her remark. She seems to be returning back to the Chorong I know. Cold and gorgeous.

 

“It is a compliment.” I stated before giving her a pungent yet teasing look. “But aren’t you showing off a bit too much. Your dress showed an awful lot of leg, not that I mind though. But I didn’t know you could be this y.” I continue teasing and I swear I saw her blush for the first time.

 

 “Shut up…” She exclaimed as she pinch me lightly in the arm.

 

She was about to say something more when I heard my name being called and Chorong and I shifted our gaze to the direction of the girl who just called out my name excitedly.

 

“Yah…Yoon Bomi…” Kim Hyuna, a senior from Juilliard, who is one of the few people I was close to during my stay abroad, wave her hands eagerly as she walked towards me. She jumped at me and hugged me tightly, choking me in the process. I wouldn’t have mind her cheesy welcome if it wasn’t for the glare Chorong gave me as she finally let go of my hand.

 

“Unnie…let go…you’re killing me.” I managed to utter my plea and finally she let go of me.

 

“I would never expect you to be in a place like this. You hate this type of crowd.” She whispered yet it was loud enough for Chorong to hear. I saw Chorong’s face crumble in guilt and I have to let out a small chuckle to ease out the tension. I took a step away from Hyuna as I device a way out of this small mess. I then notice Hyuna eyeing me, as if telling me to introduce the girl I’m with although we both know who she is. What the hell is she doing in here on the first place? I didn’t see her name in the lists of guests.

 

 I reluctantly pulled Chorong beside me, wrapping my arm around her waist. I felt her body stiffen as she fiddles with her fingers. “Unnie, this is Park Chorong from the Empire group.” I stopped in hesitation. I find it hard to introduce Chorong in a way which wouldn’t be awkward for the two of us.

 

“She’s my friend from the academy. She invited me here.” I decided to go with that and hoped Chorong didn’t mind.

 

“Chorong-ah…this is Kim Hyuna, a close sunbae of mine. She’s also from Juilliard’s Dance Division. She’s two years ahead of me and is in the College Division. She’s also the daughter of Cube Entertainment’s owner and CEO.” Chorong gave out a flustered smile and Hyuna reciprocated with a bright one.

 

“It’s so nice to finally meet you, Park Chorong. You and your friends are quite popular. I heard a lot of good things about you guys…and oh, you looked really pretty. You’re definitely hot in that pink dress.” Hyuna, as usual, would be the blunt one yet she seems to be genuinely trilled to meet her and if Chorong’s just being her normal self, she would have been really pleased. However, Chorong doesn’t seem to exhibit her usual cool and confident character as she blushes at the compliment. She’s displaying a rare side of her that I don’t usually see.

 

“Unnie, Hayoung is also attending A Cube Academy. I met her on my first day.” It was nice watching her being all too shy and nervous yet it was so awkward that I can’t help it but to change topic.

 

She sighed. “I can’t believe she’s not the baby Hayoung I used to tease before. She’s all grown up now.”

 

“Chorong-shi, please look after my little cousin, okay.” Hyuna leaned in and whispered at Chorong, “And…look after this kid as well. She might appear to be proud and chic but she also has this choding side of her.” I rolled my eyes at them, “I could hear you, you know.”

 

“I made sure you would.” She winked at me. She gave Chorong another smile before bidding goodbye. “Give me a call, Bbom-ah.” She walked away before I could say anything but she looked back few seconds later, “And say hi to Sojin unnie for me.” She has a sly smile in her face, “make sure not to lose her this time.”

 

 

-

-

-

-

 

 

“That’s something.” I smiled at her and she smiled back, brushing off that awkward moment she had with Hyuna just awhile back. “Are you thirsty? I’ll get us drinks.” She left before I could even say something.  She’s obviously taken aback by Hyuna unnie’s last remark. Sojin unnie does have that effect on her.

 

 I went to the empty table Bomi was eyeing at before I caught her attention and I sat there with my arms resting on top of the table. I watched her as she maneuver through the crowd to get to the buffet table where the drinks are served. She looks great tonight. The black laced dress complimented her well and her hair is tied perfectly revealing her beautiful face and long neckline. Even the word great would be an understatement as to how she looks tonight. I shouldn’t be thinking like this but honestly, I was smitten by her tonight.

 

“So, you finally brought someone.” I bit my lip, recognizing the owner of the squeaky voice and I wanted Bomi here in an instant. I don’t want to be alone with this girl right now. I promised Eunji I wouldn’t stoop at her level but her mere presence is making it hard to do so. She’s been infuriating me ever since the day we first met and I’m starting to lose my tolerance. “Oh, you’re here early. I haven’t even calmed my nerves down and you’re already here.” I folded my arms and tried to stay calm.

 

“She’s okay. Average but she’ll do.” She added, ignoring my mockery. I watch her as she secretly studied Bomi who is busy getting us drinks and I can’t help it but smirk.

 

“She’s from Juilliard. She’s been living in the States for a while and had to return to finish her senior high here for her not to lose her spot in the college division.” It may sound like I’m bragging but I definitely can’t take her remark regarding Bomi.

 

“Juilliard? Hyuna unnie’s also from Juilliard.” She mumbled, as if talking to herself.

 

“She’s smart, gorgeous and of course, she’s rich. She wouldn’t be attending A Cube if she isn’t.” I beamed at her, “and, she’s close with Hyuna unnie. So I guess she’s okay. Average but she’ll do.” I added in sarcasm.

 

Just when she’s about to retaliate, I saw Bomi making her way towards us.

 

“Oh, Bomi’s here. Let me introduce her to you.” I teased and I saw her clench her jaw, a gesture which I’ve learned through the years, as a sign of jealousy.

 

“Nevermind, she’s not worth my time.” She said, retreating back but bumping into Bomi in the process. “Sorry.” Bomi exclaimed as she placed the drinks on the table. “I almost spilled drinks on you. Are you okay?” She asked in an angelic tone as she stares at her eagerly. “I’m fi-fine.” The girl stuttered before walking away, avoiding Bomi’s eyes.

 

“What did I do?” Bomi looked at me innocently for a while before a sly smile creeps on her face. Of course she knows something and by the look of it, the display of her angelic side was just an act. “I’ve been watching the two of you and you seemed pretty tense.” She mused at me as she hands me a drink.

 

“Someone who just took you as an average.” I stated before sipping on my drinks. She had this skeptic look on face. “Really? She seemed nice to me. She’s the prime minister’s daughter, right?”

 

“Nice?” I rolled my eyes at her, “How did you even recognize her?”

 

“Well, I’m that kind of person who knew everyone who deserves to be known.”

 

“You’re weird.” I gave her a deadpan look and she just smiled at me like she usually does. “But I bet you would have loved me if I spilled that drinks on her on purpose. I did thought about it since she seems to be annoying you. But that would be extremely terrible right? Why would anyone do that?” She had this innocent look plastered on her face yet I know she’s being sarcastic.

 

It was my turn to smile at her, “Yet you thought about doing it. How sweet of you.” I joined her sarcasm and it delighted her. I never imagine us getting along this fine. She nodded like a child, “Of course, for you.” She said being all too cheesy.

 

 

“Who’s that boy?” She asked suddenly, eyeing at the boy just few tables away from us. “Who is it this time?” I asked before following her glance but I looked away instantly as soon as I met the boy’s eyes.

 

“Jung Ilhoon.” I hissed. “Not him again.” I muttered beneath my breath and Bomi watched me in amazement. “What’s wrong with him? The kid seems nice.”

 

“Not all people are nice, Yoon Bomi. That’s quite a surprise compliment especially coming from a person like you and will you stop looking at him.” I placed my palm on her face, shifting her gaze away from the boy.

 

“He’s nice but he creeps me out.” I admitted a second too late because Bomi looked back at the boy, flashing him a bright smile. Did she just do that? He might think she’s teasing him.

 

 “Are you not going to entertain him? He’s been secretly watching you for quite some time now.” She teased but she was smiling at me sweetly. I nudge her in the shoulder. “Stop that…you might provoke him.”

 

“Provoke him into what?”

 

 “Let’s just go somewhere more peaceful.” I decided to pull her out of the event reception to avoid an awkward encounter with him.

 

“Okay then, let’s go.” She said excitedly. She tugged me by my hand which I didn’t fail to notice and of course, the boy wouldn’t fail to notice. 

 

We made our way through the crowd and she led me out to a garden I didn’t even know exist.

 

“How did you know about this place?” I asked and she just sighed. “I told you, I know a lot of things so please just stop asking. Anyway, isn’t that boy Eunji’s cousin? Why does he creeps you out?” And just awhile back she asked me who the boy was. “Why would you ask me if you already knew him?” I mused at her again. She never really fails to make me curious.

 

“I told you he’s been secretly watching you for quite some time now and of course I noticed. I was just trying to get your attention.”

 

I sighed. Of course, she noticed a lot of stuff.

 

“He’s been immersed to me for a long time. I know that might sound like I’m conceited but Eunji warned me about his obsession too. I, however, once told him that I’m dating someone for him to leave me alone.” I gave her a stern look just in case she makes fun of the situation.

 

 

And she did.

 

“He might have been totally jealous then. Why would you bring a stunning lady like me as a date if you knew he’d be here?”  She teased but before I can say anything in return I heard someone called out my name.

 

“Chorong noona…”

  

“Ooh, he’s quite a stalker. He even followed us here.” Bomi continued her mischievous teasing while I stood there in terror. “You think this is fun? He had never done this before.”

 

“It’s your fault for agitating him and making him jealous.” She muttered and I glared at her.

 

“I thought he would stop liking me if he thinks I’m dating someone else. He seems to be a nice kid and so I thought he’d understand.”

 

“Chorong noona…”

 

He called out once more. This time, we saw him coming out of his hiding as he slowly walked towards us. I looked at Bomi in horror and she stared back at me anxiously. “Bomi-ah, do something, quick!”

 

“You’d hate me for this…” She warned before pulling me closer to her. Few seconds later, I felt her warm lips on mine. Her move caught me off-guard but surprisingly, I closed my eyes and kissed her back. Knowing that Ilhoon is just few meters away from us, I freakin’ kissed her back. I felt Ilhoon retreating back and so I thought Bomi would end the kiss. However, she rests her right arm around my waist and leaned forward to deepen the kiss and I responded, wrapping my arms around her neck. I become oblivious of my environment as I can only feel the warmth coming from Bomi’s body and the inexplicable bliss from her kiss.