The Dark Side

The Perfect Disguise

I drove straight home after dropping Namjoo and Naeun at their dorm. I tried overlooking the little encounter I had with Chorong and her friend, Eunji, but the look in her face after seeing me together with Naeun made me smile. Bumping into them wouldn’t have been so interesting if I hadn’t known about Chorong and her secret love. Why does she have to be too obvious? That basically made me wonder as to how oblivious Naeun is.

 

“Did you just got back?” Uncle Kim called out from the study room as I shut the front door.

 

“Yes Uncle.” I called back. I entered the study room and found Uncle Kim sorting out some files in the table. “Are those for me?”

 

He nodded right away, “You’re going to run the business in the near future so make sure to study these. These include the list and nature of businesses your family owned under different labels. Once you established yourself as the heir, we would put all the businesses in your name.”

 

I launched myself into the soft couch at the center of room, loving the way it bounced.

 

“Does that mean I’ll have to run the Real estate business that Aunt Joonha is managing? I might not be able to do better than her.”

 

 “I know you, Bomi. You’d do well, I assure you. Plus your aunt really wants to hand over the business to you as soon as possible so that she can focus on Namjoo.”

 

“I feel bad for Namjoo. You and aunt Joonha would have been the best parents in the world if you didn’t have to babysit the business for me.” I whimpered.

 

“Babysit? That’s a nice way to put it.” He laughed and I just sneered at him. “Don’t worry; we are not the only one who’s helping you in your struggle. We have our allies.” He smiled with assurance. “For now, focus on studying these files.”

 

“Arasso, I’ll try.” I cried out.

 

“Son Naeun…” He mentioned suddenly. “You know who she is right?”

 

I nodded my head and he looked at me warily. “Don’t let your emotion get the better of you. Revenge isn’t the only way to get back at them.” He reminded.

 

“I know. I’ll try to control myself.” Although I’m not sure I can really manage that.

 

“Here.” He hands over a folder containing a detailed profile of the guests who’d be attending the charity event that the Empire Group organized.

 

“Thanks.” I grinned at him but he eyed me suspiciously, “I know you’re good at meeting people but how did you get invited? It’s an exclusive event.”

 

I scanned the file looking for a specific profile. “I got invited by her.” I pointed at the profile of the Empire Group’s daughter.

 

‘Park Chorong?” He gave me a worried look.

 

“Don’t worry, Uncle. I don’t have anything on my sleeve…”

 

“yet.” He finished it for me. He patted me at the back before heading to the door, “Don’t do something that would hurt you in the end.” He warned.

-

-

-

-

-

“I told you, it’s not a date.” I reiterated but Eunji continued teasing me. I launched myself onto my bed while watching Eunji spin around the chair across me.

 

“I won’t blame you though, I find Bomi attractive as well.” She pestered.

 

I gave her a deadpan look – well, I tried. It wasn’t easy to catch her eyes when she was spinning around like that.

 

“Why are you here anyway? I thought you’d rather be at Naeun’s room. She ate dinner at Bomi’s house remember?”

 

“And you’re not jealous about it?” She asked back.

 

“No.” I said, straight-faced.

 

“Liar.” She cried out. “I saw you cringed back then. Naeun even canceled their rehearsal for her.”

 

“She what?” I exclaimed therefore receiving a sly smile from Eunji.

 

I thought you’re not jealous?” She asked with an innocent face. God, I hate it when she does that to annoy me.

 

“I’m not.”

 

“Fine. I’m more interested on your date anyway. I can ask her about the dinner tomorrow.” She stopped spinning around and looked me in the eye, “As for you, I need to know it now.”

 

“Know what?”

 

“How you asked her out.” She sneered at me again. Why can’t she just let this go?

 

“I didn’t ask her out. I told you…”

 

“I know, I know. It’s not a date.” She grumbled. “Just tell me how on earth did you ask Bomi to go with you.”

-

-

-

-

-

A Day Ago

 

“Here, let me help you with those.” I offered and she stared at me suspiciously. I was busy preparing a powerpoint presentation for my proposal at the library when Bomi, who was buried with books in her hands, caught my attention. I can’t clearly see her face but I just know that it’s her.

 

“Did I do something wrong again?” She asked, stunned by my sudden thoughtfulness.

 

I grabbed some of the books from her hands, ignoring her. “Where should I put these?”

 

“Over there.” She pointed at an isolated table at the corner of the second floor of the library. The second floor is less crowded because it contains history and business books. I actually thought I was alone not until I saw Bomi.

 

“Don’t you have class? Why are you still here?”

 

“Am I the only one who has class?” She retaliated.

 

“I…I was excused from all my classes. I’m the student council president after all.” I proudly reasoned out as I put the books in the table. “And how about you? Already skipping classes on your second day?”

 

“I’m trying to catch up with my subjects.” She responded haughtily as she grabs a chair and took a sit.

 

“Really, catching up by skipping classes? That makes sense.” I replied mockingly but she just shrugged. What is wrong with her?

 

“Thanks for the help.” She said not looking up as she’s already occupied with the book she’s reading.

 

“Yah…Yoon Bomi!” I grumbled in disbelieve as I stood there with my arms crossed. Why is she acting cold all of a sudden? I’m supposed to be the cold one.

 

She finally looked up, looking at me in the eyes, “What?” She scoffed furiously that it caught me off-guard. I shifted my gaze avoiding her vicious glare. Is she mad? What did I do wrong?

 

“No…nothing.” I quickly turned around, pacing back to my table. Part of me wanted her to call out my name and apologize; but what did she do wrong? I took a sit, taking a deep breath as I try to calm my nerves. I glanced at my laptop timidly and reviewed my work as I try to recoup my motivation. However, I end up leaning on my chair. I shut my eyes close, easing out my stirred emotion. Why is she being mean? I sighed heavily, keeping my eyes shut. It took me awhile to regain my focus but when I finally look up and open my eyes, I saw Bomi standing in front of me.

 

“I’m sorry.” She softly whispered, looking at me in the eye and I just sat there, frozen.

 

-

-

-

-

A/N: Sorry for the late update. Sadly, Christmas break is over and so I've been busy with school. I think the pace of the story would finally be faster in the next chapter.. Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed reading my story.